Favorite Female Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PumpkinEscobar, Jul 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

Jul 12, 2016
    Ohio
    I'm sure that a thread similar to this has been started before. I'm a newbie and this site is pretty overwhelming when you don't know the ins and outs of it. So instead of searching for a past thread I'm making a new one. Who are your favorite female bassists?

I don't have a favorite in particular. The newest lady I've heard of that is seriously talented is Divinity Roxx. I was blown away by here. Unfortunately she plays bass for Beyonce which I couldn't care less about... BUT she has some serious chops.

And of course you have to throw Carol Kaye in there.

Sean Yseult from White Zombie.

Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads and Tom Tom Club fame.

Who are your favorites? I'd love to find some new people to listen to.

deernaes, Squittolo, design and 2 others like this.
  2. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    Tal w. Best chick ever. From Australia

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have always thought Rhonda Smith is like the Dennis Chambers of bass. Hire her and scratch bass of your to-do list. You're good to go.

Roger W, Afc70, Blueinred and 8 others like this.
  4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Esperanza Spalding
    Meshelle Ndegeocello
    Nik West
    Janice Marie Johnson ( A Taste of Honey)
    Carol Kaye
    Tina Weymouth
    Debra Killings
    Leather (Suzi Quatro) Tuscadero

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Ronzo, Wookieeboy, odarellmc and 3 others like this.
  5. Some good names, but for me Gail Ann Dorsey is on a whole other planet. The Female Nathan East is you ask me...which is creepy becuase they have matching haircuts.

6. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    This young lady, Kinga Glyk (19) is bound to make her mark in the bass-playing world...

As well as Alissia Benveniste...

Of course, there's so many talented ladies out there playing bass, you'll never find them all, just as the guys. There's a lady here in Jackson, MS that wears out Gospel and R&B on bass, but she's not in any promos or videos yet. But she's bound to be before long...

ERIC31, Bob_Ross, PsyDocHill and 9 others like this.
  7. Have to mention Michael Steele of The Bangles. Loved the bass line on Walk like an Egyptian when it first came out. Have not figured out how to attach a youtube video yet, so if someone more knowledgeable could help? Thanks.

8. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Underneath the video, click "share" and a small box with a link in it will pop up. Copy that link and paste it into the post window.

9. PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

Jul 12, 2016
    Ohio
    Wow! Thanks for exposing me to them. I really like Kinga Glyk. I'll have to look into getting some of her stuff.

ERIC31 and odarellmc like this.
  10. PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

Jul 12, 2016
    Ohio
    I actually planned on working on Walk Like an Egyptian soon.

11. PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

Jul 12, 2016
    Ohio
    Female Nathan East? I'll have to give her a Googling...

12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Esté Haim

anigif_enhanced-buzz-25446-1385321919-14.gif

13. Thank you sir, enjoy!

14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Carol Kaye is not a great female bassist. She's a great bassist.

ppiluk, MCDufour, rickwebb and 25 others like this.
  15. Farseer

Farseer

Dec 22, 2014
    Parker, Colorado

The lovely Tal

Ronzo, Squittolo, djaxup and 6 others like this.
  16. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    A couple of names not yet mentioned:

Janet Morgan from Channels. Perfectly executed hard, driven, pick P-bass rock tone and tasteful lines. I don't even know if the band is still active, probably not. They had a very cool EP called "Open" which has five very cool tunes, with delicious, in-your-face bass.

Sara Lee. The bass line to B-52's Love Shack is a favorite of mine.

Roger W and farace like this.
  17. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Most of the notable ones have been mentioned - really agree on Gail Ann Dorsey. Kim Clarke is great, too:

Roger W and Carl Hillman like this.
  18. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Good in Gang of 4 as well.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  19. I like Tal, but I'm gonna root for my own people right here in Mtl: Melissa Auf Der Maur. Talented woman, working in the dark, mostly.

Dug2 likes this.
  20. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    Paz Lenchantin, bassist for "A Perfect Circle" and many other gigs... her stage performance is what does it for me...

Rick_Bass, PsyDocHill, jwr and 10 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021