1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Onboard Pre-Amp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheIrishOx, Mar 14, 2008.

1. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

Feb 22, 2008
    Illinois
    Alot of people I have seen so far don't really talk about thier favorite bass preamp. Which is funny to me because it can help out with your tone or even the versatility of your instrument. So what is your favorite bass preamp.

P.S- My favorite or better yet the one I have been really liking is the audere preamps.:)

2. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    I'm not really into active, but I may be auditioning the Aguilar OBP3 soon.

3. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I am a big fan of the "stock" Sadowsky 2-band boost only design.

Later
    Rob

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I like Alembic, Aguilar, Demeter, and Bartolini. Not a big fan of EMG; I've tried them (the version for passive pickups) and not been too impressed. Among the ones I named, I can't pick just one - they all sound excellent, but different.

5. hkroy

hkroy

Nov 3, 2007
    Hong Kong
    +1 to sadowsky pre + VTC

I put it on my Fender jazz, it's great and help out with my tone a lot.

the sad pre+nordy pups= A magic:)

6. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    I dig Pensa-Suhr pre's. They are 2-tone wide band so they sound thick and phat.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Currently I'm liking the Sadowsky, but I'm very much interested in the Audere.

8. I haven't tried too many out, but I am planning on putting a Audere into my peavey and I am planning on putting a ACG pre into a project bass that I am working on.

lowsound

9. John East, based in the UK, makes fantastic pre-amps. I have the J-retro installed on my Fender American Deluxe FMT, as the OEM pre-amp was a disaster. I recommend that anyone shopping for a pre-amp try one of these. By the way, John gives excellent personal service as well. See http://www.east-uk.com/

10. I've got EMG's in 3, an MEC in 1, a Bartolini in 1, a Musicman in 1, and an Audere in 1.

I like all of them, but the Audere is the newest and gets the most attention right now.

11. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I'm not a big fan of active electronics, but my favorite was the HAZ Labs system used on Steinbergers.

12. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I just put a J-retro in my latest project bass and absolutely love it. I also have had an Audere and really liked that also. Thou I don't have the Audere anymore, the plans are to order another one configured for my MTD Grendel 5.

13. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    To date, my favorite is the Demeter.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's because there is a whole separate forum dedicated to that subject. The "Pickups and Electronics" forum. Check it out, there's a lot to read. ;)

15. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

Feb 22, 2008
    Illinois
    Yeah I'm kinda new to this whole forum thing. Whoops :oops:

16. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    My favorite preamp is my fingers.

17. What did you like about that pre? Would it fit any other basses [w/out the graphite and active EMG PUPS]?

18. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    I'm trying to decide between the Aguilar and the Audere, would you mind offering a comparison of the two?

I put Carvin Soapbars in my Squier Active Jazz and I'm really diggin' the sound I'm getting out of that combo, but I can actually hear the lack of quality in the stock preamp. The sound of it is good, it's giving me a nice thick, dark sound with a decent amount of definition... a combo that I've found difficult to achieve on normal scale length basses... but I hear slight static and break up/distortion in there as well and assume it's the crappy preamp, so I'd like to replace it with something of better quality.

19. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I, too, like the Sadowsky with VTC.

In close second is the Fodera Pope 18V 3-band with coil splitter.

20. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    From the ones i've tried i like the Sadowsky with VTC the most.