1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite thing about Talk Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Esteban Garcia, Nov 20, 2020 at 3:20 PM.

1. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Why not?

I'll start with the Talk Bass hive mind. Having come up in the pre-internet era, when info was viral (and often wrong), it is awesome to have a source of info that converges on something approaching consensus.

J_Bass, 31HZ, Rum Ham and 7 others like this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    And yet still wrong...:D

3. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    The Band Management Forum is very entertaining. After that would be amps & cabs.

31HZ and PaulS like this.
  4. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    I like the new bass days :)

There are also a lot of helpful people here, greatly outnumber the negative people.

5. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    I like that I can show stuff from TB to my wife, kids, or grandkids and not have to worry about them seeing something inappropriate.

Also, I love the no politics rule. The only other message board that I read is one that focuses on my favorite sports teams. I no longer post there because it has been ruined by political posts. You would think that it would be difficult to cross pollinate elections and quarterback ratings, but it has been done. Anymore just about everyone hates everybody else who posts there because of politics. I hope the no politics rule remains here forever.

Lastly, I truly appreciate the fact that I can get expert answers to questions that I might pose from time to time. Some of the posters that freely help others are the ones that design equipment we buy or are players/instructors that help with technique, theory, or other advice.

J_Bass, lark_z, kesslari and 9 others like this.
  6. This site has accelerated my knowledge of all things bass.....

Beersurgeon, CallMeAl, petch and 6 others like this.
  7. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    First and foremost, I've learned a ton about bass from this site thanks to the many helpful members subscribed. Learning an instrument from the ground up without formal instruction is a little interesting, but with all the information I've come across on this site, I've made strides to becoming a halfway decent player.

Not to mention, this is probably the only place I know of where I can nerd out on bass related stuff and people actually care lol...

Love reading NBD threads. The excitement is (usually) relatable and genuine. Plus PICS :bassist:.

Gotta love the subculture that's been established around the instrument and its role. IYKYK.

Access to classifieds on a bass-specific site.

8. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    Speaking with all over the world people about bass but also other topics in which i can discover some other ways to Feel things. And the no politcal and religions rule !

9. MF-Winzlow

MF-Winzlow

Mar 1, 2019
    Cntrl FL
    Pics of basses I will never buy...

10. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Being made to see how wrongful my previous opinions about tort was.

11. My favorite thing about TB is that once a thread about a certain topic debuts there is never another thread following shortly asking the opposite. :roflmao:

12. I must have said something bad- I sincerely apologize!

I honestly love Talkbass !

13. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    My favourite thing?

You guys and gals.:)

14. MF-Winzlow

MF-Winzlow

Mar 1, 2019
    Cntrl FL
    Bassmaster 2000

15. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    It is a great way to kill time or waste time especially when bored

16. Searching the old results through google (far more accurate than using the search function on the forum). Through millions of posts and topics here, there is an immense amount of historic knowledge and stuff you can dig up here that you can't find anywhere else on the internet. This is particularly useful if you're looking for info a niche bass. A topic from a decade or more ago may yield some really useful info and some great pictures.

I still look at this beautiful Bogart, the image of which only exists on TB so far as I can tell.

bogartgraphite5frcl-jpg.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 8:15 AM
  17. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    It’s always there?

Esteban Garcia and JRA like this.
  18. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    Discussions and occasionally participation in those about basses that otherwise would be impossible in my world. Other subjects available too: Artists, bands, culture, technical info, opinions, alternative interests and hobbies, photographs of people and places in "real time". All in one with minimal filtering.

Esteban Garcia and Oddly like this.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I love how "clean" it is. Politics, religion, and rude language are mostly prevented/removed.

Have you guys tried other forums? It's the wild wild west out there. It's no better than Facebook. :vomit:

Hats off to the mods for a job well done.

20. Rock Salad

Rock Salad

Jun 30, 2018
    Tulsa, Ok. USA
    I can't decide. It's all pretty great and the variety of bass topic is amazing

nonohmic and Esteban Garcia like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020