Favourite Clutch Album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tituscrow, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Inactive

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Been a massive Clutch fan since I caught the video to 'A Shogun Named Marcus' on Beavis and Butthead about 20 years ago.

I know there's a lot of love for Dan Maines here on TB, but I was curious as to which album is rated number one?

Whilst I've always maintained that the eponymous second album was top of the pile, I've found myself torn between PRF (Red Horse Rainbow, Great Outdoors...), BT (Swollen Goat, Profits of Doom), and RH/E ( Gullah, 10001110101) in recent years.

I ask because a mate has been banging on at me to recommend ONE album, and I just can't do it!

Thoughts?

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Yep... all pretty great. I like the eponymous record, and Elephant Riders best.

3. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    I truly think i am the biggest Clutch fan out their and I don't think I could reccomend just album either. I put it on shuffle in my iPod and never have I skipped a song.

That said...I really like Strange Cousins...but self titled has one of my favorite songs, The House That Peterbuilt. Then again Robot Hive kicks ass too.

Just pick one album...can't go wrong.

4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Inactive

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Nah, second biggest :)

With you on Peterbilt, although John Wilkes Booth pushes it all the way.

Seeing them support Thin Lizzy soon, just hoping they air some new stuff.

I think the reason why I can't pick one album is that every album is chock full of killer songs that need to be heard!

5. Blast Tyrant is freakin' amazing!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I listen to the self-titled and Robot Hive the most. They're all good though- they've managed to imprint "kickass" onto a lot of different styles.

7. MrGotBass

MrGotBass

Jul 28, 2009
    I love Clutch. They've really become one of my most favorite bands recently. I also can't pick a favorite album, but I think its simply because they all are so different. You can really hear a musical evolution in the band, and because of that I really like all of the albums for different reasons. If I had to pick a favorite song, it would probably be The Yeti off of Elephant Riders, if only because of the third verse; one of the greatest bits of lyricism I've ever heard, period.

8. Always been partial to the S/T and TSL only because I really haven't listened to their other albums!

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Inactive

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    That is a great song, yes indeed. Neils incredible gift of wordsmithery is one of the reasons I love them so much, although I think there are dozens and dozens more songs with 'better' lyrics. Red Horse Rainbow is one of my favourites.

Anyway, I can't decide on a best album so I'm going to try and do a mix...3 tracks off each album. Suggestions welcome...

10. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    This verse blows me mind....

"Then against my better judgment I went walking out that door.
    I smiled at one person then I nodded to three more.
    One man asked me for a dollar, I asked him, "What's it for?"
    He said, "I have seen them." I said, "O.K., it's yours."
    And as featured on the MTV, the local high school lets out,
    And the town becomes anarchy.
    Parties are crashed, skid marks are measured.
    The story's in the paper, you may read it at your leisure."

Some other awesome lyrics are The Dragonfly.

11. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
  12. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have been listening to them since 92. Probably my all time favorite Rock band. I Really like all their albums, but I always go back to Pure Rock Fury because of the song Drink to the Dead. This turned out to be an anthem to my fallen brothers in 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne).

13. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
  14. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I originally listened to a live recording called Live at the Googolplex. Great tracks on that one. As far as albums go, gotta go with their eponymous album. LOVE Escape From Prison Planet. Dan Maines is a swell bassist at that.

15. FatCity

FatCity Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    Blast Tyrant.

16. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Pitchfork & Lost Needles is my favorite - sinister goodness from start to finish.
    For me, the best band currently out there. Great live.

If I was to recommend a single album to someone who's never heard much of them, then it would be Blast Tyrant.

17. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Inactive

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    ^and I have soft spot for Slow Hole To China. I love Oregon...

Do any of you manage to successfully sing along to Careful With That Mic? :)

18. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Slow Hole is great...and Oregon live in Flint is unbeatable.

19. Self-titled and Robot Hive for me.

20. Kinda have to go with Elephant Riders.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021