Favourite recorded bass tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cnltb, Jan 25, 2008.

1. I have too many to list, but I think this tone is just MONSTER!

2. Derf Scratch of Fear on "The Record". Raw, unwashed, and just leaned into. Good bass.

3. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
  4. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Whoa Man....thats bringing back memories....Fan-Freakin-Tastik...

Thank You for POSTING...

5. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I agree on RATM. Operation Mindcrime never impressed me... maybe its time to listen to it again. It always sounded "loud" to me and I couldn't distinguish the guitars from the bass. Again, time to listen to it again. Thanks for the inspiration

6. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    +10000000000

Also Mic Todd's bass tone on From Fear Through the Eye's of Madness.

These both have awesome growls.:bassist:

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Some of my favorites have already been mentioned, so I'll just add one more name for now.

Billy Gould of Faith No More. His tone evolved and unlike many players he was fine with changing it significantly to fit songs, but I loved it on every album. If I had to pick, I'd say his tone on "Angel Dust" was my favorite.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Wham had a smokin' bassist for a while. The guy was a monster. I believe I recently read Wilbur Bascomb ( Jeff Beck- Wired ) recorded on the Hair soundtrack.

9. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    my favorite tones by far are queensryche, gov't mule when allen woody was still alive, and cry of love

10. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    paperback writer !!! macca.

....no more heroes ..and that era...stranglers!!

primary by the cure.

methods of dance/ swing.. mick karn.

limelight..rush.

your silent face ..et all...new order.

tube station at midnight...the jam.

coyote track?? ...jaco pastorius.

11. dotcomee

dotcomee

Nov 13, 2007
    Austin, TX.
    My all time favorite has to be Geddy Lee on Signals, specifically on Countdown. That sound is one of the reasons I play bass today. :bassist:

12. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    Others have already said these: Geddy Lee on "Moving Pictures" and "Counterparts" (both Jazz bass?) really hit me since I was just taking up bass at the time, in particular "Stick It Out".
    Billy Gould (Aria Pro II Integra and Zon Sonus) on just about any of his albums but especially, "Introduce Yourself" through "KFAD..."
    Don't think anyone mentioned these yet:
    John Taylor (Aria Pro II SB-1000) on "Rio" (album and of course the song).
    And Scott Reeder's (Ibanez ATK series?) massive groove and tones on "And the Circus Left Town"

13. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I go for :
    the last Faith No More album (1997) "Album of the Year",
    "Bellybutton" by Jellyfish in 1990
    "Empire" by Queensrÿche in 1990
    Geddy's live sound on the recordings: "Different Stages", "Live In Rio"
    Tim Commerfords work with Audioslave

you see, massive growl :)

14. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    lateralus - justin chancellor
    revolution 1993 - stuart zender
    throes of rejection - rex brown
    around the world - flea
    anything done by kai eckhardt during the john mclaughlin trio!:D

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Added to the "Morph the cat" CD and the bass tone thereon, I should add Steve Swallow and Anthony Jackson onto my favorites list, although in the case of AJ I have noticed that whilst his recorded tone is stellar at times, for example on "no es lo mismo" by alejandro sanz-a great sounding album on the whole-, and many others, I have found it less so on other occasions, when measured by the standards set by himself for himself.One example may be "Triangulo" by michel camilo, on which the bass seems not as open and well defined as it could be. I do like the overal sound of that cd however.
    With steve swallow it seems more consistent.

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Check out "Snowbound" by Donald Fagan. It has a warm warm Sadowsky tone. mmmmmmmmm

17. KrisH

KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ray Bennett from Flash, on the "In the Can."

Oh, and Chris Squire on "Harold Land" and "Beyond and Before", from Yes' first(?) album "Yes." Hearing those songs helped pull me away from the Mel Schacher, Lee Dorman etc. rut I was in at the time.

18. maa1982

maa1982

May 25, 2007
    Buenos Aires
    hi guys,

first post here!

i think one of the most awesome tones of a cd i own is Melvin Gibbs' on Rollins Band album COME IN AND BURN.

i love it so much

Mariano

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Oh man, forgot to mention Les Claypool with Oysterhead. Sick, sick tones all over that disc.

20. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pino's fretless tone is killer. And his fretted tone ain't bad, either...

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Michael Manring yet- there's another awesome fretless tone.

+1

Exactly. I have too many to list, and the list changes from time to time depending on what I'm interested in hearing or playing.

Jeff Ament at the beginning of Pearl Jam's "Ten" is a favorite of mine as well. Another is the guy who played on Suzanne Vega's Solitude Standing album. Mike Visceglia or LaPatria or something.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021