1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 1964 Jazz sparkle gold

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basmicke, Sep 14, 2010.

1. This whole thing is ridiculous.:rollno:

2. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    I think the bass is a 64 jazz but I just think the price is ridiculous.
    Even if the color is custom and very rare it's way overpriced. But if, as you've said, the seller has had it on EBay several times before and it's still not sold, rather just increased in price, I figure he/she just want to show it off.

3. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    bah! even Og know gold too soft, not good for metal:bassist:

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
  5. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    The overspray of the gold sparkle into the neck pocket is correct. All the parts are period correct so it most likely is a 64. My dad had a 64 jazz and I saw a few 60's jazzes at a local store from time to time, got to play and dissect them.

It needs cleaning though..BAD.

48 grand...sure..if I made 250,000 a year.

6. I figure someone would pay about 40 G's less

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Really? I'm thinking in the 10-12 range for real.

8. SJLee

SJLee Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    Return of the Fender 1964 Jazz sparkle gold Part XXII

9. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    How many of `em do I get for that price ?

10. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    What's up with the intonation on that thing?

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I think sparkle drum sets are cool!

For 50 large, you could get a CS Jazz, a fine rig, a PA and a van to get around in.

You'd get the audition too & still have dough left over.

12. The same ad has been popping up on Craigslist here locally with a selling price of 2K. It was the first time I'd seen the bass, but knew it was a scam right off the bat. The 2K price is just as ridiculous as the asking price on the ebay auction.:eyebrow:

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses

with comments like that, obviously you guys aren't familiar with vintage fender basses, or what they sell for. i'm not saying that his asking price on ebay is worth that much, but a sparkle gold (extremely rare color), 100% original '64 j bass in that condition is usually around $15-20K. and that bass appears to be the genuine article.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    LOL... Sounds like you know of the Cleaver Brothers...

I think this bass keeps coming and going on Ebay - I've seen posts about it for the past several months...

15. I was referring to the 2K craigslist scam price being ridiculously LOW. Both price examples, to my mind at least, are on the fantasy limits of what someone would expect to pay for an example of a 64 like this.

16. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I can't imagine what his eBay listing costs have been since it's been listed (over the years)! :eek:

17. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I agree, although I have found that the buyers of fine vintage instruments (like custom color strats, bursts, beautiful archtops, etc) are either dealers or educated buyers who are not going to drop big money without either a personal visit or an apraisal from a known expert.

I've seen Gill Southworth buy and sell a few hundred grand worth of guitars in 2 days on a number of occasions. On the super high end gear, he's often times buying it for an interested party that has put in a request for such a beast. Haven't seen a dealer drop big coin to hold and flip anything but utillity guitars in a while. Usually a right of recisssion on these instruments is a norm amongst the pros.

If you think it's outrageously priced, then find another or move along.

The single biggest amateur mistake amongst so called vintage dealers: You can't make money (let alone big money) on every deal. There is no emotional attachment. Somtimes you buy bad and you might sell at a loss so you can use the capitol to make something on the next deal.

Oh, and never use the search function on this site for anything that might be of high interest.

18. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Maybe the seller's hoping somebody will make an offer of half the BIN.

19. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i agree with you.
    four to five years ago when vintage gear hit its peak, that bass might have sold for $25-28K, but now that reality has set in (along with a tanking economy), i think he'd be lucky to get $16-18K for it.

20. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Well, this bass might have been around here and on EBay many times before.
    I might not be a "TB thread expert" or a vintage or antique collector but I started this thread because I've seen it on EBay once before for a lower price but still very high and found this behaviour of relisting it at a much higher price strange and amusing. I don't doubt the originality of this thing and I know it's a rare, collectors item but even considering that I though this was the top of the price hysteria and worth commenting. And, even though some of you have seen this bass around here and maybe other places it still seems to fill it's function as a good discussion subject and stir up different emotions and angles and that's always entertaining and one of the purposes with forums like this. At least that's what I thought.
    The highest priced pre-CBS jazz basses I've seen around before topped at around 35K so this price indication seemed a little bit over the top, even if you consider all the facts and that it's a really rare piece.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021