1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 2018 MIM Player Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OllyW, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Cool. Thanks!

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
  3. Rodslinger

Rodslinger Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    I’ve had 3 in my years of playing.

4. Kijuer

Kijuer

Jan 23, 2018
    Question: what would you buy between an AMSTD 2009 J and a brand new Player J if both were available at approx. the same price?

5. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    The AM Standard if it’s in good condition and I like how it plays.

6. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    I was right, look what just arrived. :D

6300D15B-6AF9-461E-AC14-A1D5566DB35B.

7. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux

Apr 11, 2018
    How does it sound?

8. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Congrats!

OllyW likes this.
  9. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I just bought one before Thanksgiving at a Guitar Center Sale. Mine is a 2018 Fender P Player series bass in Tidepool blue with a white pickguard and Maple neck/fretboard. I put a black pickguard on it and really love the way it looks now. I put a set of D'Addario NYXL .050-.105 Nickel plated steel strings and a Hipshot "Kick Ass" bridge. I got the action lower. The pickup is pretty nice sounding. My only complaint is that when removing the pickguard to put a black one on I found it had large pots and nice wiring job, however when I unscrewed the set screw on the American ??? made knobs I found they were for a .250" (6.34mm) Solid shaft but the pot had a 6mm solid shaft making the knob where it can literally fall off. The output Jack was nice heavy quality so that is a plus. I am going to replace the pots with a good CTS .250 solid shaft. They do function ok as long as you push them down until they touch the nut on the pot and then screw it down. Otherwise you will get a knob that wobbles some as you turn it.

10. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    I haven't had chance to plug it in yet. I gave it a quick tune up and it seems to be set up quite well though the bridge screw for the G string was almost dropping out. The intonation looks pretty good though so it must have come loose in transit.

11. Pics? Please! Thanks!

4StringsEnough likes this.
  12. My local shop had a player P in for a while, which i like. They just got the player Jazz in and its quite amazing. Now i have horrible gas pains. I mean its probably the burrito, but i suppose it could be the bass.....

crucislancer likes this.
  13. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Interested

14. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

You can get a Player Series brand new for $600.00 so if you find a clean American J for $600.00 that's probably a no brainer.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  15. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    Check for the nut slot distances... :rollno:

16. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Can you elaborate?

17. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    It seems on a lot of Players (but i suspect in the old Standards too) the distances between the 4 slots are not the same.

18. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Can you point to evidence that a lot of these instruments have a nut slot spacing problem?

19. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    I read on a british forum the letter of a dealer about this and some other issue on the Players. He told circa the half of the Player guitars and basses he sold went back to Fender. He posted some pictures too. Obviously i immediately checked my Player Jazz Bass and (only) found the issue on the nut: the E-A distance is 0,5 mm larger than the others.
    In his opinion, other issues can be found on frets and electronics.

20. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US

I think the consensus is that post was written by a kid with his first music store job who was a Gibson homer. Completely discredited. Can you link to the post?

I think this was the original thread. Again, total BS.

MCF likes this.