1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 2018 MIM Player Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OllyW, Jun 14, 2018.

1. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm in Canada, so we don't have a GC here, but we have instead Long & McQuade. Very different experience from GC in many ways, from what I can tell from the few times I've been in a GC. However, soooo many times there is a hot looking Fender bass on the wall, and I play it, and it's fret buzz city. They had a MIA P bass a while back that was exactly what I was looking for and a great price, but it was unplayable. I can't spend $1000 or even $500 on a bass that *might* be playable after a setup, I want it set up so I can see what it is like. It seems like such a fundamental point in selling product, to me. I did run across another MIA earlier this year that was also unplayable, but it was so pretty, I asked for a setup first, and then bought it because it played beautifully after that. I'd asked for a set up to be done first on a couple of other occasions, and the sales people at those times just blew me off so I left empty-handed. They've lost a few sales from me that way, and I'm sure it's not been just me.

edmidlifecrisis and cmgkhn like this.
  2. jowes

jowes

Jan 2, 2017
    Hello, does anyone know whether the MIM deluxe jazz is retained? I don't see them in stores here in Canada anymore. Is there an active five stringer MIM jazz anymore?

3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Yep, it's still offered in the current MIM line-up. They added an active/passive switch, too.

4. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2015
    The Frozen Tundra
    Has anyone experienced neck dive on the Jag? I love my Buttercream P, btw...Thanks!

5. Ossian

Ossian

Dec 23, 2017
    Sweden
    Do you know the weight of your P? Mine is 7.3lb, really nice and lightweight, the tone is not lightweight tho! Really punchy and deep

6. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Mine is 8.8 and i thought that was on the lighter side. 7.3 seems very light.

7. Ossian

Ossian

Dec 23, 2017
    Sweden
    Yes I was really surprised actually! This is my first P I own so cannot compare it to other P, but I really like the tone and weight. Feels extremely light for being alder

Old P Bass Guy likes this.
  8. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Yeah, I've had two and I luv em.

9. stefanb

stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    I have a black/tort player jazz to compliment my MIA P-bass. It's SO light comparatively, but I really like it. Pickups sound great and you can fly all over the neck.

Sodbuster likes this.
  10. Sodbuster

Oct 19, 2015
    The Frozen Tundra
    My Buttercream P weighs 8.6 lbs.

11. What is the stock "Fender" description of that color red? That pickguard looks great! The bass looks awesome with that rosewood fingerboard. Wouldn't be quite as striking with a maple one.

12. Sodbuster

Oct 19, 2015
    The Frozen Tundra
    Sonic red

13. Looks great! Thanks!

Sodbuster likes this.
  14. That is such a cool look! I might go this route. The only thing I would like differently is having a rosewood finger board rather than the Pau Ferro. I guess the darkness of the Pau Ferro varies. For me, the darker, the better. Yours looks pretty dark. Looks great!

15. Where did you get that pickguard?

16. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The pau ferro does vary a lot. I've seen some that were ugly but then there is mine.

IMG-3231. IMG-3233.

Just watch Sweetwater until one pops up that has the fingerboard and weight that you want.

17. Wow! That sunburst looks great too! Okay, thanks for the tip.

18. fenjazz

fenjazz Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Portand, OR
    Ebay. I think it was from the Stratosphere's store there.

19. Sodbuster

Oct 19, 2015
    The Frozen Tundra

Attached Files:

Duder likes this.
  20. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    Hi, bought this last week.

Attached Files:

Phil60, Feralhog and Sodbuster like this.