1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 2018 MIM Player Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OllyW, Jun 14, 2018.

1. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    I will try to rescue it. But in any case the issue on my bass (and another pair i saw, one on this forum too) remains.

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I have no issue at all and there is no reason or evidence to think that there are any wide spread problems with this series. They are mass produced to a low price point, so I'm sure not even one is perfect; but that doesn't mean "a lot" of them have nut slot spacing issues, and there is no actual credible evidence to support that.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

That thread originally appeared on Reddit and was removed because it was actually written by a kid and was total BS. Please stop spreading this FUD.

4. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    OK, so that was ********, i deleted it. Pity about my nut (and some other one): if i never read that post, probably i never noticed the issue.

MCF and king_biscuit like this.
  5. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Must. Have. Pics.

6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Don't have this problem on mine

king_biscuit likes this.
  7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    The tort pickguard looks great with the 3 tone burst.

8. fenjazz

fenjazz Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Portand, OR
    The nut slots on my P Bass are fine in terms of spacing. The G string nut groove needed to be deeper though. I also shimmed the neck slightly, dropped in a Stellertone 10 and put flats on it. Love this bass now.

9. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Check out Stratosphere music : here is a Sage Green P bass body. They sell necks also and hardware and electronics

2018 Fender Player Precision P Bass LOADED BODY Bass Guitar Alnico 5 Sage Green

There are many necks to choose from. Here is one:
    NEW Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass Replacement NECK Pau Ferro 0996283921

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  10. stefanb

stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    I used some fretboard oil on my JB and it darkened it up quite nicely, the stock pau ferro looked a little pale and now you can't tell what it is. Highly recommend this.

11. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

What oil did you use? Got a picture of the bass?

12. stefanb

stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    I used this

pics attached :)

Attached Files:

13. 1bassplayinfool

Looks good, I have some Nomad F-ONE and I'll give that a shot...

MCF and stefanb like this.
  14. 1bassplayinfool

Got this one today and went to town on it.

20181207_001636.

Attached Files:

15. jowes

jowes

Jan 2, 2017
    Has there been any news on the replacement for MIM deluxe series? They are not available in the stores as well as online in Canada. In the US, only sweetwater seems to have it.

16. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's been a while, like a decade, since I picked up a new bass, but I'm reporting in here due to a serious case of GAS for the sunburst/maple precision. Why are there none in my immediate vicinity for me to try out?

I'd really rather not order online in case I get one with less than stellar fit and finish, as I'm assuming that at this price-point it could be a bit of a roll of the dice, but I might just need to take my chances, mix metaphors, and pull the trigger.

This $100 GC gift card in my pocket isn't making the decision any easier. I wish I could just have them order five of them and then pick the winner... What do you think, could GC be trusted to send back and reorder until I receive one that meets my expectations? Am I over thinking this?

17. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    When you contact them just ask them to get their Bass guy to check it over for the obvious problems which includes any damage to the finish which seems to be the most common thing why people send them back. Tell them you are not a novice and any faults that are found when you receive it will mean you will send it straight back and demand a full refund so that you can purchase it elsewhere. Remember they don't check over everyone so it is good practice to demand that they thoroughly check it before it is shipped out to you.

Kro likes this.
  18. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
  19. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I know that's the right answer... Grr, why couldn't I have gotten a Sweetwater gift card? Oh well, I suppose I'll need to pick up some strings... and... maybe a cable or something for it...

Doing some cost jockeying right now. If Sweetwater is able to match whatever best deal I come across, I might pick one up by day's end.

Who would have thought I'd be jonesing so hard for one of these MIM Precisions - to pair along side my fancy pants American made Stingray 5.

20. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Yes! I've been waiting for years for an affordable P with a maple board in something beside black and sunburst.

Winner on all fronts. Ideally it would be that sweet buttercream but Tidepool is great too. Make the sonic red available and I'll want one in pau ferro. Ordered a Tidepool one Christmas Eve.

Matt R. likes this.