fender 810??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Sep 18, 2004.

1. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I'm just curious, but has anyone had any expeirience with this cab?? Mike Dirnt chose it over Ampeg AND Mesa so it must be pretty good. It's got eminence speakers so it must be alteast somewhat good sounding.
  2. maybe he just got an endorsement deal thrown in with his new sig bass ;) ...must of gotten sick of paying for new gear all the time
  3. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Actually no. I read an article in Bassplayer. He actually describes his expeirience and the sound difference between the fender 810 and the SVT classic 810. He seemed to be pretty interested in it. I like how in his story, the part where he was at Fender headcourters, designing his bass, the people at fender were like "oh and were working on some new amps" and at first he was like "Yeah whatever, fender bass amps..." . That made me crack up when I first read it. Nevertheless, he was surprised and he is playing them.
  4. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Was that the interview where he said "I can afford any rig I want, I dont need a f***king endorsement deal"?

If so then yeah, good interview.
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Of course he would say that after being endorsed, that's the point in doing it ;).

6. Fender 10" bass cabs sound pretty danged good, but I guess me and Mike Dirnt are the only ones who think so. :meh: Seriously, I've never understood why they're not more popular, especially considering they're cheaper than alot of bass name brand cabs. They ARE very hard to find...
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'm not familiar with the cabinet and I'm sure it sounds pretty good. I think we all have ways of justifying certain things when it comes to gear purchases and even the way we look at music. It's worth it because... I don't need to pay as much because... I only play "____" because... I play #-strings because... You need to learn theory because... You need to rely on feel/instinct more... etc.
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The fender 410's are really good, especially if you like punch, because they are sealed cabs. The (fender) sunn 410's were ported. I really liked them myself. They really sounded good with a single 15. I mean, they make great guitar amps, why not good bass amps? Their stuff is getting pretty good, though I really don't like what they have been doing to all the companies they have bought up.
  9. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Whatever, bottom line, he chose that 810 of ampegs classic 810 and Mesa Boogie's RR 810 so it has to mean something that he's playing them whether he's sporting ads in Bassplayer Magazines or not. The real question is, how good would they be WITHOUT the eminence speakers?
  10. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    The Fender 8x10 is 8 ohms, so unless you're using an all tube head or power amp you're going to see less watts.
  11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    8 ohms?

I could run 4?

12. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Jesus, I could imagine it now....my Mesa 400+ hooked up to 4 8x10 cabs...

"And in other news...at [insert local gig place name here] there were 1523 people killed when the bass player decided to 'crank' his amp, simply to see how loud it would be. Doctors say people passed due to heads imploding and methane intake from other's intestin tracks releasing their gasses..."
  13. ShaneB

Sep 20, 2004
    Check again. It's 4 ohms.

I recently listened to the 810 pro next to a Megoliath. Both of them sounded great, but they definitely were voiced differently. Listen to it before you buy it, since nobody can tell you what you will like best.

14. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Last night on Letterman, I thought Green Day sounded different. It could very well be the mixing on the letterman show, but normally I think they do a good job. I didn't think Mike Dirnt sounded as good w/ his new Fender stuff. Someone go see them live and let us know what they think of his new gear.
  15. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Didn't Fender buy up Mesa Boogie? The new Fender line really resembles Mesa Boogie gear, especially the aesthetics. I like the look, haven't heard or felt....mmhmm Mesa + Fender + Stingray = possible cream in mr. pants.

16. no, fender bought out SWR, they basically use the same stuff
  17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You do realize that you likely heard his bass through a DI to the board and NOT his speakers, right? So many people think even that when they go to a concert, they are hearing the guys onstage cabs . . .
  18. i would of at least thought you would of made a south park brown note reference there..."everyone in the world has crapped their pants"....but it still wond beat rhonda smiths rig...mmm hmmm...4 mesa 2x15"s
  19. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If that's true, why isn't Fender either eliminating the "Fender" line of bass amps and concentrating on SWR's reputation to sell product, or gutting SWR as a company (I'd imagine moving the facilities to Arizona cost a pretty penny) and using the technology to promote their bass line as a more upscale one? In short, why operate two lines, essentially doubling their cost?

I own a Fender-era Mini Mo' preamp and have played numerous post-buyout SWR amps (SM-500. SM-900, 550X and 750X's as well as various cabs during my pre-purchase search) as well as several Fender Bass Amplification-branded amps. If they're "basically using the same stuff", you'd expect at least similar sound. IMO, it's not close.
  20. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I know this was about the Fender Pro 810. But I'm confused. The Fender Pro 410 SL is 300 watts continuos and 600 watts program......what the hell does that mean? Cant they just say 600 watts peak?