Fender American Elite Precision Bass ... Neck Swap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Good day.

I own a Fender Am. Elite Precision bass; as i've said in some other posts, the bass build quality is very good for me as well as the electronics.
    The bass sounds like a P bass also when unplugged and is very resonant.
    However, unfortunately, I can't cope well with the neck which seems to me a little too chunky and wide although, I presume, it's not as chunky and wide as that of an AVRI '63 P bass.
    I also own a MIJ PB70 which has a 'A' type neck which, for me, is super comfortable but the particular neck joint of the Am. Elite bass make these necks unsuitable for it.
    Then I think I could buy an Am. Elite jazz bass neck to install onto the Am. Elite P bass.
    Are the two basses fully compatible in terms of neck joint shape and make?

2. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Great question.
    You might be better off trying the new Fender Mod Shop instead of assembling a bass from parts. It might cost you 20% more, but then you'd be certain of the compatibility and authenticity of the finished product.

3. Mh.. yes but I already own that bass which I’d like to modify ... I’ve recently put an Am. Pro. P body and an Am. Std. Jazz neck together and the result has been the best bass I own, hence, I have to say that it can be done without Fender’s intervention ... meanwhile I’ve checked the situation and the two Am. Elite P and Jazz bass share the same neck pocket and joint ... matter ism that Am. Elite jazz necks are not easy to find and they’re expensive :bawl:

selowitch likes this.
  4. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I hear that the Elite necks are fantastic and have that nifty little wheel in the heel for adjusting the truss rod ... nice!

5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes, the Elite neck pockets are compatible.

6. They look very well finished ... it has to be rosewood anyway ... I’m done with maple fretboards ;)

7. Thanks :thumbsup:

8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    If the Elite neck pockets are compatible, I assume that means the Elite neck heels are likewise compatible. ;-)

9. That should be the case I suppose :cool:

10. DontFrett

DontFrett

Jan 10, 2018
    Since Elite Jazz Bass necks are so difficult to find . . . would an American Standard J Bass neck fit on an Elite P or Elite J Bass body? Any feedback on third party necks available like AllParts and Warmoth? How well do they fit Elite bodies? How do they quality compare to original Fender necks?

11. The width of the neck pocket should be the same as well as the position of the rear screws (two) ... don’t know whether the front couple of screws is at the same distance from the rear one however ... you should have residual longitudinal space in the pocket due to the fact that the one of the elites accounts for the protruding truss rod wheel which is not a feature if the Am. Std. and Am. Pro. ... quality wise the Am. Std. necks are top notch IMO ... I wouldn’t waste time with AllParts or Warmoth and other stuff like that

DontFrett likes this.
  12. However I happily changed my mind about the neck of my Am. Elite P bass ... GREAT instrument :thumbsup:

13. Have to correct myself: the truss rod control wheel doesn’t stick out of the neck tail, but it is elegantly recessed into the neck itself, hence there should also be a good fit in the longitudinal direction between the neck pocket and the neck itself

selowitch likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022