Fender American Professional II or Elite/Ultra Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Fender American Professional II Precision

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Fender American Elite or Ultra Precision

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Hey all,
    This has probably been discussed at some length around here but the search results aren't really bringing back what I'm looking for.

Lately, I've been thinking about picking up a Precision. I have a Fender Elite Jazz which I love, but want to round out my collection with a Precision. However, I've read that the Elites, or newer Ultras, lack that real precision sound. Am I better off going with the American Professional II to stay true to the sound, or should I pick up another Elite?

I've also been looking at the Sire P7 basses, but at that price range, it sounds like they might be skimping on a few things. I'm not sure.

Just looking for opinions only. I'll make sure I get to GC and try out what they have when I get a chance. Thanks!

2. My American Elite Precision Bass certainly sounds like a P-Bass when you solo the P pickup, either in active or passive mode.
    I haven't played a Pro II yet, but my Pro I with its original VMod pickup doesn't really nail the classic sound, imo.

TrevorG and Knavery like this.
  3. ueezb

ueezb

Jun 8, 2020
    Germany
    I think it depends on if you want/need an active Preamp and a J pick-up. If you don't want that, I'd go for the Pro II. Otherwise, the Ultra would be a great choice (I own an Ultra P). It sounds a bit more traditional than the Elite, as far as I remember (never compared them side by side). Out of the Ultra/Pro I/Elite series the Elite was my least favourite in the P department in terms of tone.

Knavery likes this.
  4. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    I've played all three and the Ultra won hands down(I have the Precision). The split coil is great and I find the Single coil loud, rich and clear. The active circuit works really well for me along with a really fast neck. That said, had the ProII had 21 frets I would probably own one now. They sound great and play beautifully without active wires(I also prefer the colours). I've played enough of these to know each bass can have its own character so there's one out there in each range that you will love.

NEBADON2000, Tbone76 and Knavery like this.
  5. I did compare an Elite and an Ultra side by side, and I would tend to agree that the Ultra was a bit more traditional, but I don't think the Elite is radically different. I have too many P-Basses, but I may entertain the idea of an Ultra someday. Nice basses.

ueezb likes this.
  6. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    I went shopping for an American Pro II P but came home with an Ultra Jazz. Go figure. I wouldn’t call it a P tone but it had all the growl I was searching for. I never knew I wanted a J.

MynameisMe and TrevorG like this.
  7. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Thanks guys. Since I have an Elite Jazz, I might as well got for an Ultra Precision. That'll be a good matching pair.

furym, TrevorG and Pet Sounds like this.
  8. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Well, I did decide on the Fender American Professional II Precision in olympic white. There was a newer mint one on Reverb for 1200 plus 25 shipping. I couldn't pass that up. The ultras just were too much money. And too be honest, I love the simplicity of the controls on the passive version. :)

rolijen and CallMeAl like this.
  9. I have Ultra Precision; guess what I recommend:)

Even if you only use P split coil Pickup in passive mode exclusively the Playability along with build quality, fit and finish, comfort from new contours and P tone from Ultra Noiseless pickup is worth the xtra $

TrevorG likes this.
  10. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Agreed but I don’t blame people for not liking the price. I paid a little under £1800 for mine just after they were released and am thanking my lucky stars I got in there before the price went up. That said, I love it so much I’ll pay the extra when the right one comes along again but I really liked the ProIIs as well. Just not enough frets.

11. rolijen

rolijen

May 10, 2021
    Central, Illinois
    First post! I just got my Am Pro II P-Bass (Olympic White, RW board) last week and it arrived with the highest action I’ve ever seen on a new bass. I had to adjust the truss rod, lower the saddles significantly, lower the pickup significantly and adjust the intonation massively. After these adjustments, the Bass plays and sounds fantastic. The neck on the these Pros is insanely comfortable and that satin finish is a dream. I really like this bass. I got a great deal, so I’m not too bent out of shape having to correct the maladjustments. But I’m astonished that Fender QC could allow this total cluster of a setup to leave their Corona shop.

12. I got a excellent price on mine [Now unavailable Ash bodied Plasma Red] shop said it was just hanging up high on store wall, never touched by customers. Was a tad skeptical but when I received it and checked it out; they were telling the truth.

Shop also had setup Tech call me and ask for my preferences for setup, gave my request and it came exactly how I asked. Don't know how it came out of box but rolijen's experience hopefully isn't typical. I to like Rolijen have the persistence and ability to get it right but would prefer and expect only to have to make small tweaks out of box.

I played a '75 Precision [bought new in'75] for over 25 years and now enjoy having full sweep of authentic vintage to Modern tone's

TrevorG and rolijen like this.
  13. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    It's funny you mention that. After I got the APII, it was on the back of my mind that I should have waited for the Ultra. Soooo, I found a pretty good deal on a mint one on Reverb. It's the rosewood neck with Mocha finish. So, this one has been put up for sale. :) Short-lived, I know.

NEBADON2000 and TrevorG like this.
  14. Getting back to AP II; Saw this on Bass Chat

"So I thought that I'd order one of the new Fender Professional ii P basses in the lovely Surf Green colour they've brought out. I got a good deal and it duly arrived this morning as arranged.

Upon opening the case it looked absolutely stunning and when I picked it up it was a very comfortable weight. The action however was awful and the strings were way above the fingerboard.

Now I've had new Fenders before and I know they generally set the actions high in the factory and usually after a bit of adjustment to the saddles and the truss rod gets it to whether I want it. This one however, already had quite low saddles but I duly took them down a bit lower to such an extent that they were pretty much bottoming out. The action was still pretty high.

I thought I'd check the truss rod out and when I went to give it a bit of a tweak, it felt like it had already been maxed out and I felt uncomfortable in trying to turn it any further. Usually when I've had new Fenders in the past the truss rod has been no more than half-way screwed in and there's plenty of play either way.

I contacted the retailer and there's no issue in returning it but I was really disappointed on how this arrived and was very surprised that a bass would have been set up this way at the factory. The retailer confirmed it hadn't been sent out to anyone prior to being sent to me and hadn't been looked at by any of their staff, so it all seems a bit strange to me."

15. rolijen

rolijen

May 10, 2021
    Central, Illinois
    Mine too. Saddles bottomed out to get the action low enough for my taste. Since my NBD post, I’ve also noticed the nut is slightly off-center with the G string slot much closer to the fretboard edge and the E string slot being much further from the fretboard edge. That, and there is a noticeable knot in the neck at the 7 fret. The design is amazing. QC? Not so much.

Debating right now whether I want to return it or just live with it. I got such a great deal, I think I’ll pay the $8 for a nut and fix it myself. I don’t want to risk getting one that doesn’t feel or sound S good as this one. The knot will bother me until I embrace its uniqueness. While it’s visible, it does not affect the feel or straightness of the neck at all. If I keep it (which I think will be the case) this bass will be named “Naughty” or “Knotty”.

16. Are you sure its the nut not the bridge? I am OCD about strings being being centered on neck.

Hopefully it is the nut and it is also cut wrong so new one will help with action:)

You already seem to love it or you would not have put up with QC but you should contact seller and see if you can get some kind of restitution.

17. rolijen

rolijen

May 10, 2021
    Central, Illinois
    Bridge and sales are well aligned. Strings are lined up well between the pickup pole pieces and the string alignment and spacing is great at the highest frets. But, at the nut, the strings are skewed toward the G string side. The A string is over the edge of the 3rd fret fretboard dot. Also evident (but diminishes as you go up the neck) at the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th frets. Also the strings don’t quite go straight from the nut slots to the tuners. Due to the nut slots being slightly askew to the right, the strings angle leftward as they continue from nut to tuners. I’m just going to cut a new nut and call it good. I am reluctant to send it back as I can make the repair (really correct this shoddy QC) in 30 minutes or less.

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing quality issues on this An Pro II series?

18. rolijen

rolijen

May 10, 2021
    Central, Illinois
    Meant bridge and saddles...

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021