1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Professional Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazarus27, Dec 7, 2016.

1. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    I'd probably have broken down and bought one by now!

2. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    That's Horrible....This guy knew... How long has it been? Has it gone down in smell... Take it to a good repair guy he may have experience in this... Not putting cat lovers down but I never had a cat and I'm not going to get one.

3. It has gone down by half I would say, before I could smell it when playing, now I can only smell it if I put my nose next to the neck. Naphtha on the board seems to help quite a bit but it dries the rosewood. I know the oils will move back to the surface, but I will get some fretboard oil just so that it does not look that dry.

4. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Try F-ONE.

5. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    A couple of questions since I'm thinking about that same bass, what gauge B string are you using, I usually use a .130. How would you compare the neck to the American Standards 5 strings especially front to back thickness, and how does it balance on a strap, I read a post somewhere where somebody was complaining that the lighter body threw off the balance a little, neck dive. Thanks, Jim

6. I just got some from my local Guitar Center. It smells awesome now! Thanks

snakejohns likes this.
  7. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    You could wipe down your fretboard with Nature's Miracle Stain and Odor Eliminator. It's made for removing things like cat pee.

8. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

I want that bass... Please PM me and I will give you my address. I have this in white as a 4 string. White, light, and sounds great. Another bassist I know has this in white and a 5. He loves it but again he wont give it to me.

Aaron Houts likes this.
  9. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

Always set it up with the guitar tech you like. I had mine done with a good tech I know and over a year I have not adjusted it. I have 2 American Pros As far as a 5 I tried it but it was a P bass. Sounded great. I believe the strings were a D'Addario 165 but don't hold me to it. If the strings are new a PU height adjustment is needed if the sound is floppy. If the string is floppy a tech can adjust that. A good tech if he heard that in a string would had told you what the problem is. I have not heard this problem with others and I am sure it can be adjusted. The B on the P sounded tight and big.

10. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    Ha ha! Thanks!
    Nope. This one is staying here.
    I switched out the pick guard from mint to solid white:
    24065A5A-0198-4672-844B-7606B1724859.
    5AB43DD6-E970-4B85-9842-BE92F908A74D.
    ...and added the stealth string retainer to tighten up the B string:
    F13B9F3C-AF15-4DFC-9320-73F1C39A9AD9.
    To respond to a post above, it balances well on a strap with the stock tuners, but Thursday I’m ordering Hipshot Ultralites to cut as much weight as possible and even out the balance even better.
    I may switch the bridge later for weight and tone and possibly add strap locks (or not.)
    I also wanted to say that I love the sound of the stock pickup for its clean tone.

Bassist30, Bluzman99 and jim nolte like this.
  11. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

Was there a big, little or no difference at all regarding you B string? Also what size regarding the Pick guard... Was it the standard, Mexican, etc etc.

12. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    There was definitely a difference.
    I noticed it immediately.
    The B string wasn't a problem before, but for $17, I wanted to try the retainer having used them on the A string of 4 string Ps.
    The phrase "it tightens up the B string" really perfectly describes what it felt like.

Bassist30 likes this.
  13. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    The PU Guard what size/style is it... Cant find them in the American pro... Its either Standard, Mexican etc....

14. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    FENDER® AMERICAN 5-STRING P-BASS
    The American Standard fit perfectly.
    Check out this thread about the American Pro V:
    NBD - Precision Professional V!
    The OP and a some other TBers really have this stuff figured out.
    It'll give you some great ideas. Their ideas got me to do the string retainer and a bridge that I want to get.

15. I got one of those exact same olive green ones but the 5 string version.

And I agree with everything you said. It's an amazing p bass and very lightweight. Probably the only bass I've owned that didn't need any neck adjustments, even when I dropped the bridge saddles to lower the action.

Aaron Houts likes this.
  16. AmericanFenderJazzMan

AmericanFenderJazzMan

Jan 24, 2016
    I like playing low but with those tall narrow frets on those new american pros you can only go so low before it fret buzzes out....sadly I don't play it anymore as I got a new old stock 2012 fender precision american standard bass and could go a little lower and that is my "go to" bass....even have a rickenbacker 4003(new) and a USA Fender geddy Lee jazz bass (new) all just sitting in their cases.... I guess its all in ones style and feel..... the american pro olive colored bass, plastic still on pickguard and is still a damn good bass but I have it up for sale on reverb :) might sell the geddy lee jazz and rickenbacker in the future as well

17. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I put an American Professional neck on my parts bass and it is really great. I love it. The only reason I didn’t get the Am.Pro. is that I wanted a nitro finish. What a great neck though.

0CF56F65-DA38-400F-8607-BB9252CD4E4E.

bmac314, joeyl, Aaron Houts and 2 others like this.
  18. I must have got lucky cause the action is lower than on my Sadowsky and I'm not having any issues with buzzing. I'm not the first owner, so it's possible the previous owner had them leveled.

Put in an order for a 3 ply black/cream/black pickguard for it today. Can't wait to see the black pickguard on that antique olive finish.

19. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

29683842_2038154472879766_6755919914123540143_n.

hillbillys

20. _allen_09

_allen_09

Sep 20, 2015
    Lloydminster
    Every knows fender American prices have gone through the roof. Anyone consider other brands that are better for that kind of price range?