1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Professional Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazarus27, Dec 7, 2016.

1. It’s like the wand picking the wizard.

2. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    It is lovely. Tort guard on the way.

qlTDLD8.

Bassmunnky, Mr_O'B, Hedge7 and 7 others like this.
  3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have the same exact P bass. Liked it so much I bought a black J bass... American Pro's.

Attached Files:

Bluzman99, Aaron Houts and Jamvan like this.
  4. AmericanFenderJazzMan

AmericanFenderJazzMan

Jan 24, 2016
    bought a fender american precision pro series...I didn't like the narrow tall frets they put on all these new pro series basses. had fret buzz even after tech tried to tweek it so I sold it and then went by guitar center and tried out a few more thinking mine was the only one but they all had fret buzz somewhere so then I got a 2012 new old stock fender american standard Precision bass and that is the best bass I ever owned !! will keep this one for years and years

5. @Bassist30, I have the exact same models of American Pro basses as you -- an Olympic White P with rosewood and a black/maple Jazz. I'm a very satisfied customer!

Bluzman99 and Bassist30 like this.
  6. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Amazing basses.

Bluzman99 likes this.
  7. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    A good tech can always fix that. No matter what bass it is.. I have no buzz Have a good tech and never had a problem with any of my basses. Especially the Pro's.

Bluzman99 likes this.
  8. Sean Brookes

Sean Brookes

Apr 28, 2017
    Oh, nice! Please post a pic of it with the new guard too.

9. I have to fully and unconditionally agree ;)

10. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    This just cracks me up so much!

Hedge7 likes this.
  11. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    xnVVgcH.

12. AmericanFenderJazzMan

AmericanFenderJazzMan

Jan 24, 2016
    I guess it's a preference thing.... no worries as that's why they make basses with different size frets depending on how people play and seek that golden touch. I had the green one and found myself having to push down harder to get sustain on the pro series basses but found I like the med jumbo frets on a standard P bass..so easy to play that I don't even play my rickenbacker or usa geddy lee jazz bass anymore as much as a few times a year,,,although I really like the usa geddy lee jazz I think I'll stick with the precision standard :)

13. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    It should be easier to press down with the pro frets.

Aaron Houts likes this.
  14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I also find it easier to fret on the Pro series. I guess this shows how different playing styles/personal ergonomics may impact preferences. My Professional Precision is easily my favourite Precision to play because of the frets and overall construction. Having said that I would also be happy with an American Standard.

Aaron Houts likes this.
  15. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    How is the neck/fretboard on the pro P bass feel compared to the 63 AVRI? The Pro ad copy says it is based on the 63.

16. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    The size is very similar. The frets are taller on the pro and the finish is satin, which is soft and smooth. The AVRI has a vintage gloss feel that is a bit stickier.

Aaron Houts and PianoOfDoom like this.
  17. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks! I'm thinking of getting another (totally unnecessary) PBass, and may grab one of these.

Aaron Houts and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  18. AmericanFenderJazzMan

AmericanFenderJazzMan

Jan 24, 2016
    I agree the pro felt really smooth and what I meant to say in my previous post was I play really low action and the narrow tall frets would buzz out on me when I wanted to get lower action like with my standard P bass.... other than that they have a good sound that resonated throughout the body.... i just seem to be that bass player that loves the low action i could only get from a different fret action I really tried so hard to love that bass but at least we are all happy in the end decision :)

19. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I hope you don't feel I am attacking you about the Pro and standard difference or the height of strings. But, I had my P brought to a good tech after I bought it. I like straight necks with a slightly lower action than the standard height. I have no buzzes. I really didn't think the frets of the pro dictates the buzz. I mean its not incredibly higher than the standard. But you got what you wanted. As I never favored the standard but that is not the issue which is why there are so many different basses.

AmericanFenderJazzMan likes this.
  20. Not owning a MIA Std. P bass but for what I hear, owning an hybrid MIA Pro P bass (full loaded body + MIA Std. jazz neck), the V-Mod pickups seem to be an improvement on what was installed on the MIA Std. ... can’t comment on frets height but I tend to support @Bassist30 position

Bassist30 likes this.