1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Blacktop Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, Mar 20, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    With the new ashtray:
    y9e8aham.jpg

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Is this the one you had me a test-'shop for you? If so, are you going to go all the way and switch to black tuners and string tree?

3. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Yes it is. And yes I am. As soon as I get a little more scratch together, lol.

4. Check out my pics, I have a good shot of the sparkly white chrome pearl

5. Stranger, love the pickup cover! I may need to do this. Did you double sided tape it first ? How do like it when playing? Do you play slap style ?

6. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I did not tape it. I had one in the past and knew it wouldn't be an issue. I do like it when playing, it's a great thumb rest and palm rest for picking. I also use the end of the fretboard for fat finger style and it doesn't get in the way. I don't slap but Marcus Miller uses one on his jazz bass and it doesn't seem to bother him too much.

7. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I also changed out the pots, cap and jack and put in 3 CTS 250K pots, an orange drop .047 cap and a switchcraft jack.

This is a relatively inexpensive mod and a vast improvement over the stock set up with 500K pots.

I can get a much wider variety of tones because the knobs arent just 10-9-off anymore and the 250K pots are also a lot warmer and get rid of the high mid clank.

comatosedragon likes this.
  8. I'm about to get the blacktop P bass woohoo!

9. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Gnice!! Come back with pics and join the club.

10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Hey, just a suggestion. If you want to slap try a set of D'Addario Pro Steels. Good price, great sound.

11. StrangerDanger, do you have a link on the caps and parts you used? Would love to get a better use of the knobs and larger variety of tones.

12. I found the parts at allparts.com and other places. Looks very inexpensive and I will do this for sure. Why did you replace the jack?

13. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Because I was replacing everything else so I figured why not?

I ordered the vintage jazz bass wiring kit from basspartsresource.com

14. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    I didn't know that was the solution for high-mid-clank. I've been toiling over my eq. Thanks.

15. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Not on blacktop--on my jazz pj. I still don't have a BT-P yet. AMS has them in stock. That place is the GAS station.

16. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I dont think its a blanket solution but it sure worked for this bass for me.

17. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Sweetwater Guitar Gallery is my GAS station these days!

18. Yeah, ditto Sweetwater.. if only they carried EB MM!

19. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    So here is a pic of my two oddballs. One jazz with p pups and one p with jazz pups:
    y3uzajyt.jpg

20. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

What was the uf value of the original capacitor? I'm putting together a P-bass with 500k pots and I need to pick out a cap for it. Since I really liked the sound of the Blacktop "as is", and I like a bit of mid-range bite mixed in, I wanna get close to that sound.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021