1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Blacktop Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, Mar 20, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Just installed the new 250k pots and orange drop cap with new jack. Wow, what a difference! This is how it is supposed to work! Full volume controls, seems like a wider, warmer range of tone control.
    Love how the bridge pickup only sounds pretty close to a jazz sound with bite, and the neck pickup only is pretty close to P bass.
    Very distinct tones, with a full range of blend now, for only $15 or so!

Next up is black abalone pickguard.

Thanks for the tip on the pots and cap StrangerDanger!

2. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I'm glad it worked out. :D

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I went into a Best Buy near my workplace yesterday. It would seem they're getting out of the musical instrument business. Almost every instrument, amp and accessory was getting a clearance sale bump.

They had two Blacktop Precisions (black paint-jobs for both) on sale for a little over $300. I wanna say $309, but don't hold me to that. So if someone's jonesing for one, you might be able to snag one "on the cheap".

4. Johnnywad

Johnnywad

Jan 20, 2013
    The p has great tone for lots of genres. I play blues, classic rock, and a little funk and get all the tone for the spread. Its worth checking out.

5. Auspex

Auspex

Jan 30, 2013
    Boise, Idaho
    SIGN ME UP! blacktop P bass, rip roarin!

6. Auspex

Auspex

Jan 30, 2013
    Boise, Idaho
    I use my Blacktop P for a doom/stoner/post-metal/all things heavy band.

It is awesome for it! Used to play in punk bands back in the day, I would say for this bass I'd actually be dialling the neck pup down a bit and letting the bridge bite punch through the mix for me. For punk, that is.

For my current setup and I have the bridge at 6 and the neck pup dimed.

7. Welcome Auspex #8

Fender Blacktop Club Members

#1 StrangerDanger
    #2 ShadowVampyre
    #3 Fair Warning
    #4 unclebass
    #5 StephenDaRacket
    #6 Johnnywad
    #7 hillerup
    #8 Auspex

8. voodoomagicboas

voodoomagicboas

Apr 13, 2013
    Hey, everybody!

First post ever and I wanted to use it to join this club!

I'm new to bass playing but not new to music. I researched basses for a while and this is what I landed on.

I was thinking of upgrading the pickups and read that it was good to have a hotter pickup in the bridge position. Is it okay to have two identical pickups?

I was thinking two Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. It'll be a while, but I'm starting my research early.

Here's a pic:
    fenderblacktopjazz_zps9755b6ee.gif

9. mmoore2490

mmoore2490

Jan 8, 2013
    +1!! love my blacktop p bass. going on 2 months now with it and have loved every day. A lot of tones can be dialed in with it! very versatile. and of course, sexy looking. ;)

10. I too was thinking of adding SD quarter pounders, at least to one position

11. StephenDaRacket

StephenDaRacket

Mar 23, 2013
    Maybe a '62 in the neck? Give yourself some classic p bass sounds and extra power in the bridge with a quarter pounder? Just a thought

12. emdsd

emdsd Mongo only pawn in game of music!

Feb 25, 2010
    Boyne City, Michigan
    I finally got a decent picture of my Blacktop Jazz:
    2013_0422Image0025.jpg
    Picked up in October 2011 and has become my main player. Added the red pearl pick guard (1st time in 30 some years I bought something for an instrument that was purely cosmetic) and an Audere JZ preamp (V V T/B) that I picked up new/used here on TB. The preamp solved the volume issue and added some nice tonal variety. ;)

Number please!

13. mmoore2490

mmoore2490

Jan 8, 2013
    What was the volume problem you were having? I havent noticed anything wrong on my blacktop yet just curious what to possibly be on the lookout for.

14. emdsd

Feb 25, 2010
    Boyne City, Michigan
    I found the volume was either off or ON with very little change from "3" to "10". I think others have mentioned this in posts also IIRC. When I want to make changes to tone or volume "on the fly" I want to be able to do it on my bass as many times getting to my amp isn't always easy. I've found with the Audere everything I need is at my fingertips! As always, YMMV! :D

15. mmoore2490

mmoore2490

Jan 8, 2013
    well that i do have, its either on or off, and i would love to be able to mod it to fix that. what are the 250k pots that everyone seems to be in agreeance with on here? im not new to playing bass, new to moding them though. :help: :)

i am in the middle of doing some small mods like black dome knobs, and a pickup cover. (just wish i could find one in black)

edit: i found what the 250k pots are on GC. how hard is it to do this kind of mod? and is the cap change necessary too?

16. emdsd

Feb 25, 2010
    Boyne City, Michigan
    For whatever reason, as I understand it, Fender uses 500k pots in these basses and switching to 250k will solve the volume "issue". I think the JZ3 I installed comes with 250k pots.

I too am new to mods. I had always had passive basses till I picked up an already modded 55-01 in Dec 2011. After that I've come to appreciate the extra tonal variety a preamps can bring. :D After reading up a little on preamps here on TB, I figured why not try one in my Blacktop Jazz to "fix the volume issue" and see what else it might do. The Audere seemed to have the best 'bang for buck' and ease of install....and as you probably figured by now, I really like it! :hyper:

17. mmoore2490

mmoore2490

Jan 8, 2013
    these covers are plug and play in a sense that they just use the pre-existing screws for the pickup? or do you have to make a new hole in the body for them?

18. mmoore2490

mmoore2490

Jan 8, 2013
    sounds good! thanks for the help. the volume thing has really started to annoy me. i do seem to get a variety of tone from the tone knob alone though with both pups fully on.

19. Welcome new members, paradog, mmoore2490, emdsd and Voodoomagicboas

#1 StrangerDanger
    #2 ShadowVampyre
    #3 Fair Warning
    #4 unclebass
    #5 StephenDaRacket
    #6 Johnnywad
    #7 hillerup
    #8 Auspex
    #9 Paradog
    #10 VoodooMagicBoas
    #11 emdsd
    #12 Mmoore2490

20. The mod is very easy, you just need a soldering iron and basic soldering skills. the cap is not necessary, but worth it, since you are resoldering everything anyhow.

It was like $13 in parts, and 30 minutes of work, and really, reallly made the bass come alive with different tones, different ranges of volumes.

I highly recommend it!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021