1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Blacktop Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, Mar 20, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    0.05, but that's probably plus or minus 20-25%

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Plus/minus 20-25% of what? Sorry, but electronics were never my strong suit. I can get most gadgets to sit up and bark for me, but once you open up the casing it may as well be run by elves, alchemy or scientology.

3. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Well all caps have a variance. In better caps like the Orange Drops by Sprague, the variance can be as little as 5-10%. In the cheaper caps (like most imports use) the variance can be as great as 20-25%.

What you need to know is that the higher the value the more treble will bleed to ground and vice versa. So a .047 will be darker than a .022. If you want bright and clanky, try 500K pots and a .022 cap.

4. Malak the Mad

Many thanks! Consider us even for the photo-shoppery you requested.

I've read up a bit on the Electronics section and that seems to grok with what I've read there, only you put it in terms I can wrap my enfeebled brain around. :p

I may go for a .033 cap…something to split the difference between both treble and bass. My local guitar tech recommended Oil-Paper brand to me, so unless someone sees this and say "Noooooooooo!!!!", I'll likely grab one. Besides, if it still sounds too muddy I can always have a .022 put in. We'll see, ya?

5. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Oil in paper is fine, just dont pay too much. Definitely less than $10.

6. Malak the Mad

Hmm…can't seem to find them for less than $10. There are similar ones, but knowing my luck, they'd be the wrong types. So that, plus re-reading what you posted about the variance of the Orange Drops, perhaps I will go for them instead. Plus, I hear others raving about them too. Besides, the tech says they have them in stock anyway, so no shipping (yay!).

You may now return to your previously un-diverted thread.

7. Johnnywad

Johnnywad

Jan 20, 2013
    Here's mine. Got it in September last year. Mail ordered through GC site unseen. Great purchase. Have only had to straighten neck and adjust bridge after putting new strings on. Why would you guys spend extra cash to change the pots and stuff? They work just fine. Adjust amp settings they are already there.

Attached Files:

8. Johnnywad

Johnnywad

Jan 20, 2013
  9. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Nice! I'm glad you like it.

For me the high mid clank was too much and it sounds much better to me with the 250K pots but YMMV.

You're number 6!

Fender Blacktop Club Members
    #1 StrangerDanger
    #2 ShadowVampyre
    #3 Fair Warning
    #4 unclebass
    #5 StephenDaRacket
    #6 Johnnywad

10. hillerup

hillerup There are basses, and there are Thunderbirds!

Aug 26, 2009
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Cool to see we finally have a Fender Blacktop Club!!!

Here is my Blacktop P in white chrome pearl, modified with all-black hardware:

FenderBlacktopP-Bass2.gif

FenderBlacktopP-Bass1.gif

FenderBlacktopP-Bass3.gif

Can I have a number? :)

11. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas

Awesome!

Fender Blacktop Club Members
    #1 StrangerDanger
    #2 ShadowVampyre
    #3 Fair Warning
    #4 unclebass
    #5 StephenDaRacket
    #6 Johnnywad
    #7 hillerup

12. Johnnywad

Johnnywad

Jan 20, 2013

13. Johnnywad

Johnnywad

Jan 20, 2013
    Hey stranger it looks bad ass blacked out like that. Only thing I'm adding to mine is a black hipshot. Just to b totally one of a kind

14. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas

15. Malak the Mad

Maybe the truss rod needs a little adjusting too? I had a Jazz that was buzzing all the time on the E-string. I took it to my local tech for a set-up, making sure to mention the buzz. He took one look at it, adjusted the truss rod…and violá! No more buzz!

16. hillerup

hillerup There are basses, and there are Thunderbirds!

Aug 26, 2009
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Thanks!

It was a bit of a hassle; to change every single piece of hardware, down to the pickguard screws and neckplate, I had to order the different parts from several vendors...

But it was well worth the effort! :)

17. Johnnywad

Johnnywad

Jan 20, 2013
    Had that done recently. I think it is just the way I attack the strings. Also had pickups lowered.

18. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Yea, StrangerDanger was right. Just to be clear, I haven't played one in person (our local guitar shops suck). It's just two humbuckers with only volume controls isn't nearly as appealing to me as the option to go H/H, H/S, S/S with coil taps. That said, I have no doubt it can get some great tones. I'm still interested in one, but just haven't bit the bullet yet...

19. Love the blacked out look, I have that on my OLP 5 string stingray.

I have added a Hipshot drop d detuner and love it

20. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Does anyone have any sound clips of the Blacktop P, specifically soloing the neck pickup with a lot of tone for a punk sound?

I play in a rocky punk band, and I cant' decide if a Blacktop P or J would be better for my situation. I'm not real picky for body shape or neck; I'm more concerned with the tone.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021