1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender closing Genz Benz and SWR??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pgolliher, Oct 3, 2013.

1. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    "Industry rumours suggest ..."
    They probably got that from TB :)

3. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    SWR has already been placed on the shelf next to Sunn. Neither brands sold well enough to keep themselves alive. Genz Benz is alive and well. They will continue to reinvent themselves and revamp their product line to stay competitive.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The Genz Benz brand is done. In talking to a retailer this weekend, I was informed that Fender put Genz on the shelve some time ago.

Go look for their products on major sites. Most will show out of stock.

This was sad news to me considering I love my Genz Benz products. Ive met Jeff and toured the Scottsdale facility. He's a stand up guy and was very proud of their amps.

Fender will honor the warranty on the remaining Genz products.

I am going to purchase a Shuttle 9.2 before they are gone forever.

5. That was my thought too... Do it ! (I did)

6. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Buy the competition and shut them down.....maybe thats the logic for FMIC? I cant understand why you would buy a brand like SWR or GB only to dilute it with FMIC's ideas and techniques, loose money, and then sell it. Why not just let the companies be who the are, and run independent of themselves....but then just make the money off them??

Auto manufacturers do this kind of crap all the time. Look what GM did to Saab, Ford to Volvo, and Chrysler to MB.....just dumbed down the brand, tarnished the image, and ruined quality.

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    That's what FMIC did with SWR for the last decade. Some companies can't get their act together no matter how hard a parent company tries to make them profitable. Fender does not have a history of purposely running brands into the ground as a way to eliminate the competition. They DO have a history of buying brands on the cheap in hopes of earning some money off of them. It doesn't always work.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fender has no history of buying companies to shut them down. No shortage of Gretsch guitars and basses, is there?

9. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    My thought has been this: Fender has been slimming down their amp section over the last year or so and has settled on having a low cost set and a high end set. They want, and likely need to diversify to keep the company totally solvent (not saying "doomed" just afloat and happy). The best way for them to do this would be to expand on their amp offerings, get some good mid price stuff in there and add on to or improve upon the current offerings with the GB tech. They've done an amazing job of restructuring their instrument lines over the last year or so by covering just about every conceivable price point and with some different models as well to get people interested and paying attention to them. They've also cracked down on quality issues and gaps as well it seems.

So if they want to do this right and step up to what should be their intended competition of brands like GK and Ampeg, they're gonna need to do it right and if they did indeed hire some of the big techs from GB (read that somewhere on here) and let them do their magic they might just be able to. They've shown that they're much more capable and open to listening to their market recently so I'm hoping that that continues with this scenario as well.

10. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    It didn't seem apparent to me that genz Benz was In trouble.

Companies absorbing other companies for the sake of improving their brand is not a new concept.

Fender amplifiers have improved greatly, but carry a stigma and don't tend to be the first choice when someone is in the market for an amp.

Maybe the technologies of the genz Benz amps will be used in a new fender line of amps. They do own it, why would they just get rid of it.?

Or was genz going down the tubes...I don't know.

11. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Fender owns the names. A few years from now, they can revive the brands / names, and put any product they want under that umbrella

12. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
  13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    It's just corporate machinations, nothing GB did wrong. They happened to be owned by a company (Kaman) that got purchased by Fender, and Fender's a big complicated company financially that sometimes needs to do things that don't make product sense.

Doesn't make it right, but it's just how the business world works.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't think we know enough about what happened to be judging whether it made product sense or not.

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    "Fender closing Genz Benz and SWR??"

I heard the rumour, but that's all.
    Fine by me though if they do.

16. I bought one last night for $495 from the bass place. They only had five left. I've always loved my GenzBenz products. The items I fall in love with are the ones that never make it. :crying:

17. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    They never make it because they're slightly different , and that gets you smashed down like a flooring nail that got missed by the man with the big hammer.

18. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I will be buying one from the bass place as well. You can't beat that price.

They also have the GBE 1200 for 595, thats a good deal..

19. I got mine from there too when there were seven left... ;) I just checked the FedEx tracking and it's landed in Australia, too excited !

20. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    If it's just a badge or 2 going away, no big deal. Fender still owns all the designs and can market them under the Fender badge.