1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Custom Shop Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Sep 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I have a pair of '59's as well. One alder. One ash. Both rosewood though. Nice pair!

Mastermold likes this.
  2. Bottom 4

Bottom 4 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2018
    It is a great bass and getting even better as the TI’s warm up...! Interestingly, according to fender the bass was built in 2011 and I recently, in the last few weeks bought it new from Willcutt. So this bad boy has been sitting out there waiting to be snagged! Guess it was meant to be in my stable.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  3. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Seven year NOS. Glad it’s working out for you.

Bottom 4 likes this.
  4. BearCave

BearCave Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    UPDATE: Turns out that the preamp from the American Elite Jazz Bass does not fit in my 2010 CS Custom Classic Jazz IV Special. I would have to do some significant routing to the body to get it to fit, and I'm not about to do that. Soooo.....back to square one. Darn!!

5. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Picked this up about a month ago. 2013 CS 59 Relic. LOVE this bass!! hm20.

6. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Wow, that big of a difference eh? That’s a bummer, but good to info for the rest of us. Glad I picked up the Fender Select Active/Passive after all.

BearCave likes this.
  7. BearCave

BearCave Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    I should've taken pictures before I returned it to show you the difference. The PCB on the American Elite preamp is much larger than the one that's on the current preamp and the body rout was done just big enough for only the original one to fit. Now I need to find a preamp that's the same size or smaller.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    TB24 likes this.
  8. TB24, sneha1965, Ace Of Bass and 4 others like this.
  9. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
  10. 9mmMike

What color is that?

11. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    If the picture doesn't fool me, it is called Candy Tangerine.

9mmMike and sneha1965 like this.
  12. It is standard journeyman relic treatment. But as far as I know - it could be done by:
    - decades of playing
    - steel wool
    - sponge (“rough side”)

Regarding the dirt - some guys recommended old newspapers (black ink into the barewood) or dirty hands and several hours of gigging.

All above very very gentle, “less is more” when relic is in question. And patience of course.

Good luck.

13. slick_tu

slick_tu

Sep 19, 2006
    South Jersey
    Be careful of steel wool; the particles stick to the pickups and can be impossible to remove.

bassgrackle, sneha1965 and Midak like this.
  14. Tdub77

Tdub77

Feb 10, 2016
    Bozeman, MT
    Yup if you're going to remove the nitro from your neck, best practice is to remove the neck to do so. Otherwise you should at the very least mask off the pickups as well as anywhere you don't want to remove it from.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  15. tsl

tsl

Mar 5, 2014
    MA
    Still looking for a '57 to '59 Custom Shop Precision in nice condition with no issues. Split humbucker, maple fretboard, vintage frets, 7.25" radius, 1 3/4" width at nut, chrome hardware. Prefer burst but will consider other colors (no metallics or sparkles). Relic is fine as long as the maple fretboard is not reliced.

16. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Would you consider saving up a bit and ordering one yourself? :)

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  17. Being completely satisfied with my two 1959 pbasses, I get the offer I could not resist: Pino signature model. What a great bass!

671288CB-8569-4C48-AE83-6375750357D5.

BearCave, ericsmith, zbigniew and 7 others like this.
  18. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Congratulations!
    So, what's your favorite among the 3? :D

Tdub77 likes this.
  19. 9mmMike

Nice. Miss mine. Not sure that is the correct PG. Did you change it?

20. It is very difficult to say. I think I slightly prefer Pino over two others, but journeyman reliced neck on white one and attack of the tone on the red 59 is to die for.
    I definetely not think Pino is better bass than the others. I like it because it is just perfect combination of features I like - no matter it is an artist model.

It is original pickguard - is there anything strange on it?
    BBC41B7E-4A5C-4677-92ED-589F0B7EE7AF.

Midak and sneha1965 like this.