1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Custom Shop Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Sep 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Unlike Fender's regular production line in which necks and bodies get more or less randomly put together, the CS (even the team built guitars/basses) sorts them first to try and pair necks and bodies that work well together. There's a video around from a few years ago where they explain that. So I think it's more intentional than luck of the draw that they tend to sound good.

EDIT: Found the videos I was thinking of.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Tim1 likes this.
  2. slick_tu

slick_tu

Sep 19, 2006
    South Jersey
    A few years ago, my son and I took the Fender tour in Corona. The guide pointed out a stack of wood pieces that had been sorted and set aside for the Custom Shop. When we got close to the CS area, hoping to catch a glimpse of a legend, I asked if Ms. Ybarra was working. He said she had recently retired.

Tim1 likes this.
  3. Bottom 4

Bottom 4 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    Probably but not according to Willcutt

4. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    That’s interesting to hear as Jimmy Coppola offers old growth Brazilian Rosewood as an option for some of his basses such as the LG Classic Supreme.

Classic Supreme

Mastermold likes this.
  5. Mastermold

Coppola isn't Fender however. ;)

6. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    You’re stating Brazilian Rosewood hasn’t been legal to use since the 60s, and there are builders using it today.

Bottom 4 likes this.
  7. Mastermold

Yes you're correct. Fender stopped using it in the 60's but some builders still offer it. Been doing some internet browsing about CITES. Some good info.

sneha1965 likes this.
  8. Bottom 4

Feb 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    Mastermold likes this.
  9. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I’m checking some other forums as well. From my research Fender stopped using Brazilian Rosewood in 1966, but there are a few necks with Brazilian Rosewood, that have shown up on Fender instruments later than 66, though it is a rarity and not the norm. The CITES ban is for importing Brazilian Rosewood into the US IIRC, and I think I remember reading Jimmy is using an old piece of Brazilian Rosewood that has been in the US preceding the ban.

10. Mastermold

Well there it is--very cool! Definitely a keeper!

This is from one of the better articles I'm finding (and why yours is extra special):
    "In 1992, Brazilian rosewood was added to the CITES treaty, strictly banning its exportation. Today, Brazilian rosewood can only be obtained and used for guitars (or anything, really) if it was harvested and exported prior to the CITES ban, or harvested from trees that have fallen naturally—and is accompanied with a certificate of provenance in both cases."
    What's the Big Deal About Brazilian Rosewood?

Bottom 4 and sneha1965 like this.
  11. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Bottom 4 likes this.
  12. Mastermold

This is dangerous for my wallet knowing the Fender CS will still make a Brazilian fretboard and I'm in California about 30 minutes from their factory and thus have no CITES issues to worry about on an original purchase. :D

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    BearCave, sneha1965 and Bottom 4 like this.
  13. Bottom 4

Feb 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    It really does play well! Love it!

sneha1965 and Mastermold like this.
  14. tsl

tsl

Mar 5, 2014
    MA
    Still looking for a '58 NAMM 2005 Precision. If anyone is thinking on parting with theirs, please let me know.

15. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
  16. tsl

tsl

Mar 5, 2014
    MA
  17. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Have you tried an AVRI 58’? It’s not CS but for the money used they are a great value.

9mmMike likes this.
  18. MrRobert

MrRobert Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Juice Box,
    Is that pickguard the one the bass came with? I love it and would totally buy it from you if you replace it with a spitfire...

19. Two CS 59 pbasses, two totally different beasts!

Alder vs ash, maple vs rosewood, fat pino neck vs flatter 59 style...

57C09F53-FE45-4E1D-B7FA-ECD0AD2C7700.

BassmanM, 9mmMike, Midak and 3 others like this.
  20. Bass414

Bass414 Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well I was able to find just the preamp from an American Elite Jazz along with all of the other electronics (jack, wiring, pickups, etc.) and pickguard. I plan on switching out the preamp and control plate that's currently in my CS Custom Classic Jazz IV Special with the one from the American Elite Jazz and therefore will finally have an active/passive switch. The only other thing that has me thinking is whether or not I should switch out the current pickups (it came with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders from the CS) with the Fender Noiseless ones that I also got as part of the package when I got the preamp. The Quarter Pounders are slammin pickups, but the second I go off of center detent on the pickup blend knob, they get noisy (single coil). Anyone have any experience with the new Noiseless Fender Jazz pickups? Would you switch them out?

Curious to see what experiences and opinions you may have!

Thanks!

davidak likes this.