1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Custom Shop Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Sep 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Very nice, it looks a lot like the select jazz bass. I’m pretty sure if you can find the electronics for the elite or the select bass, they would fit perfectly in the bracket for the plate that you’re ready have.

BearCave likes this.
  2. BearCave

BearCave Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm pretty sure they would fit without a problem. The problem is finding just the electronics with the mounting plate. :)

3. slick_tu

slick_tu

Sep 19, 2006
    South Jersey
    I would get the plate also with the hole for the switch already there; that way you could keep the original plate with the original electronics.

4. BearCave

BearCave Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's exactly what I've been looking for (preamp with the control plate). :)

5. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I've always felt active Fender preamps were the weakest link in an otherwise solid chain. I was very close to putting a Sadowsky pre in my Custom Classic but decided to move it instead. The Elite pre's a lot better than the standard Custom Classic model but I fumble around on the knobs turning ones that weren't intended. I'm not sure how they are but Bassmods makes an affordable pre that is designed very close to the Elite and will fit without modification.

BearCave likes this.
  6. Some nice basses in this thread.

Boy, waiting sure is hard. 1-2 months (?) to go on my CS Jaco. Been 5 months, so hopefullly getting close!

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  7. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Yes waiting for Fender Custom Shops is definitely an act of patience! Unless you’re lucky to find one for resale, it’s common to upto 12 months (or more) for a new build.

8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    What do you all think of the new sibling to my faithful Custom Shop Precision Closet Classic Pro-2011 ???

She now has the company of number 1 (out of 10) '64 RB Series Custom Shop Jazz Bass ( 2001 )!!! She is in dead mint condition, the colour is amazing and she is very light at 8.4 ponds, including both bridge and neck covers!!! Plays like butter!

DSC05516.JPG DSC05517.JPG DSC05520.JPG

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  9. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    It is my dream bass. I've always wanted one of those drool

10. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

That jazz-neck looks amazing! Wow!

11. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Love that Precision Closet Classic Pro! Always wanted to try one. I do believe the burst was 2011.

12. slick_tu

slick_tu

Sep 19, 2006
    South Jersey
    What a nice pair.

13. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I just set up the neck, lowered the action after installing new DR Fat Beams strings on the new beauty! I had an American Standard Jazz before, and nothing against those who love the Standard series, but honestly, the Custom Shop has so much more 'balls' and depth, it is unbelievable!
    The Precision Custom Shop has a superb P Bass tone and a neck to die for! The two of them together make a great pair as you said!

Mantis Tobaggan, Midak and sneha1965 like this.
  14. Bottom 4

Bottom 4 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    Is there a period shift for CS basses sort of like pre-CBS? I thought I read something about pre-2016 but can’t find it again in the thread.

BTW will be joining later today with my CS ‘62 P

15. markmck79

markmck79 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    I would say that is true with the Corona-made American Standard series (there was an upgrade in quality that occurred earlier this decade - I want to say around the 2011-12 timeframe).

However, I've fairly consistently ordered or purchased 1-2 team-built Custom Shop instruments per year for the last dozen years, as well as have bought a few early 2000s models second hand, and I have not found any significant shift in quality in either direction.

Bottom 4, Tim1 and Ace Of Bass like this.
  16. Bottom 4

Feb 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    C7A790CD-1A91-4663-9C46-515E5FD1CEA8. 54317341-631C-496D-A1B9-C7A3DF93C68B. AD02D433-229D-46A8-89DA-452604AFB32F. D316B347-E781-47F0-80D6-F57FA0527659. Here’s my entry into the CS club. She’s a 2011 ( according to Fender) just recently bought new. Alder body, Brazilian rosewood board ‘62 handwound pup 4 ply tourt guard Dakota red. Sweet bass. Fits right into the fold!

Midak, 9mmMike, Mastermold and 5 others like this.
  17. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    This is my experience too, having owned several CS instruments over the years. There is a consistency of quality that is less common in standard production line instruments. I have never played a "bad" custom shop bass, although I have come across one or two that rise above others. Just a fortunate combination of neck and body, I guess.

Bottom 4 likes this.
  18. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Hi @Bottom 4 Welcome to the Fender Custom Shop Club! :) Your number is 54

Ace Of Bass, Bottom 4 and sneha1965 like this.
  19. Bottom 4

Feb 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    Thank you! It’s certainly a pleasure to be here!
    Cheers
    Andy

20. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Brazilian rosewood hasn't been used or legal to use since the 60's, but I love that P-bass! Congrats!