1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Gakki Precision '62 Prototype

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PatPreacher, Nov 24, 2017.

1. PatPreacher

PatPreacher

Nov 24, 2017
    IMG_1939.PNG IMG_1941.GIF IMG_1942.GIF IMG_1943.GIF

Hello Everyone,

I found a cool vintage bass for sale. The seller is a 70yo awarded jazz musician & sound engineer living close to my hometown.

He is selling a Japanese Fender Precision '62 but made in 1970.

He is explaining this:

"It is a prototype model ordered by Fender before licensing MIJ, so this is the reason why it is a really beautiful work.

The "Fender" Logo has been put later on it.

The contract licence for MIJ Fender was given to GAKKI in 1981/82.

In 1970, Fender made a tender process in Japan for its licence, TOKAI and GAKKI were both engaged and produced a prototype, and GAKKI won.

The pickup of high quality is a single one, not a splitted because Japanese before the licence attribution couldnt copy Fender.

Fender was looking for a lutherie wood crafter, and would have provide electronic parts.

Body: Solid Ash
    Neck: maple
    Touch: Rosewood"

So, people, what do you think about it?

Attached Files:

2. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    If there is no way to authenticate its history, I wouldn't think much of it. Especially since the sunburst is terribly done, and indicative of a possible plywood body which is why it's all black by the arm contouring on the front. If it's ash, it's a shame it was painted like it was plywood.

The maple neck looks to be of better quality than the production of the era, which frequently used multi-laminate maple construction. The tuners look like the typical junky quality of that time, though.

In short, I feel it falls short on many counts considering what is available a bit later which were of obviously much better quality. As an oddity and unique part of Fender Japan history, it's neat, but not necessarily valuable or sought after.

Willicious, Tbone76 and PatPreacher like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I can't help with the bass. Neat story though.

I just swung by to say Welcome to TalkBass!!!

Pbassmanca, Tbone76 and SirMjac28 like this.
  4. PatPreacher

PatPreacher

Nov 24, 2017
    Aww cool! Thx!!!

5. PatPreacher

PatPreacher

Nov 24, 2017
    Yes i understand, and this why i needed to ask. I will have a long drive and the man wants 400$ for the bass

6. For $400 I'd pass

CapnSev, Sixgunn and TonyP- like this.
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    YMMV, but IMHO that Fender logo was indeed added later as it should never have been there in the first place. Looks like a cheap copy, possibly Colombus or similar - late 70's or early 80's at best. Almost certainly ply body. There is no way Fender would have awarded a license to anyone on the basis of that as the representative sample.

MarkoYYZ, murphy, BusyFingers and 4 others like this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The headstock looks pretty odd, something off on the proportions that looks fake with Fender logo. I think you could find a better bass for $400. Maybe offer him $300 take it or leave it? I cant see it having much resale value without some kind of provenance documents.

9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    More of a tall tale accompanied by an ever-growing nose on the part of the seller.

@PatPreacher - sorry your first experience of TB went this way, but we are generally an honest bunch, so welcome!

10. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    Nowhere near to being a Fender. Looks like a 70's Japanese copy.

murphy, Relsom, floydman and 2 others like this.
  11. PatPreacher

PatPreacher

Nov 24, 2017
    Dont worry !
    I did not bought it yet and i wanted your advices before so yeah, i will not buy it even if this respectable old man was really sweet. Thank you all

Sixgunn and Son of Wobble like this.
  12. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Welcome to talkbass. Whether the story on this bass is true or not, the bottom line is.... if playability, sound and build quality are up to or exceeding your standards of a good good bass, buy it. I know, I know. If the story is untrue, one shouldn't be selling a bass under false pretense. I agree, but maybe that was the story given to the currant owner and he believes it to be good info. The bass looks to be in pretty good shape. Tell him without authentication of some kind, there's no way of knowing for sure if it is actually the prototype he thinks it is.(which I personally doubt.) Myself, If I liked the bass, sounds and plays good, I would offer him $250 and see what he says.

copacetic likes this.
  13. Looks like a decent Japanese P Bass. They can be pretty hit or miss. If it's an amazing player one, I guess 400 isn't a crazy price, but certainly not a great one one either.

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would contact Fender to see if it possible? I love oddball guitars and basses so I would grab it if played well and I could get a decent price.

15. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Nah. Lol. '70s 'lawsuit' era copy with a decal added. I've never read anywhere of Fender brokering a deal with a Japanese plant in 1970. If they had I doubt the results would look like that. A good story, but nothing more.

16. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    In this order: welcome, that's no prototype, it's a cheap Japanese copy, and the sellers' story is ludicrous... ;-)

D.M.N., Sixgunn, jnewmark and 8 others like this.
  17. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Btw, "gakki" simply means (stringed) instrument. It's not a designation of any particular manufacturer.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    makaspar likes this.
  18. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    More mindblowing is a 70 year old guy putting a Fender logo on it and trying to sell it as such... Lordy....

19. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Either the seller is himself delusional, or he's peddling a fraudulent deal. Fuji Gen Gakki made a lot of these F copies, but certainly none of them were commissioned by Fender.

20. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    This, plus the copies they were making were so much better than this thing. Sorry OP, it’s kind of laughable.

MarkoYYZ likes this.