Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender J-bass 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vorago, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Are they still made? Are they any good? What would be the basic price for such a bass?
    Some general info would be mostly appreciated...

2. if you mean a fender jazz bass, i think i saw that the 4 and 5 string were both $419 in musiciansfriend catalog

3. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Yes they still make them, however they have them on ebay all the time. I bought mine on ebay it was a MIM model which I did a bit of upgrading to. I picked it up on ebay in mint condition for only $280.00 with a gig bag. I changed the bridge added a set of Barts. upgraded the pickguard and knobs (all purchased on ebay as well) and now for less than the price of a new MIM standard 5 I have what I consider to be an incredible bass. Geez, I sound like a ebay commercial.:rolleyes:

4. Are both pickups on the MIM 5-string Deluxe and 5-string Standard the same width or short-long like the MIA's?

5. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I don't know if all MIM jazz 5's are the same or not but on mine the neck pickup was shorter than the bridge pickup.

6. I think they've fixed that problem on all recent MIM's. I read somewhere that the pickups are now normal, MIA style different sizes.