1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Japan is gone :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GazzBass, Apr 21, 2015.

1. GazzBass

GazzBass

Apr 20, 2008
    I guy in my local music store in Osaka told me there will be no more stocks of Fender Japan guitars and once they are gone that will be it. I also heard they were closing the factories. That's all the info I could get from him. Anyone else heard about this?

willbassyeah and Dash Lashes like this.
  2. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    that would be a sad day. More and more going to China probably.. pisses me off.

Phud, alesreaper9, Mechanical and 3 others like this.
  3. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    in regards to this rumor, i really like post #8 on this thread: LINK
    it's been said (i've heard, for like 10 years) this was happening and never did.

SirMjac28 and SpanishDave like this.
  4. GazzBass

GazzBass

Apr 20, 2008
    The Fender Japan website seems to have gone as far as I can tell.

5. bignote

bignote

May 27, 2006
    Okinawa, Japan
    I am in Okinawa Japan and I have been told by some of my Japanese acquaintance's that indeed they have lost their licensing agreement in Japan. I am not sure how to verify this.

SamJ likes this.
  6. Sad if true Fender Japan made quality instruments, for those of us who were getting our first Fender.

7. MechaniCrash

MechaniCrash

Apr 18, 2015
    Chicago
    I'm in Tokyo right now for a week-long business trip. I work for a Japanese company, and one of my employees is Japanese, and also a bass player. I noticed that the former website had a notice posted on it. I asked him to translated for me, and it described that Kanda Shokai was no longer distributing Fender guitars after April 1st. It went on to list models and parts that were already out of production.

I went to the Ochonomizu guitar shopping district on Saturday. It's a place with about 10 guitar shops in a 3 block span. I had just been here in January, and all looked fine then. This time there was noticeably less Fender Japan stock. Everyone that I could find working at a shop who spoke English said Fender Japan is done. They all said that they had all of the Fender Japan stock they were ever getting, and it will probably all sell through in 2 or 3 months.

I got into some detail with one guy who spoke English very well. I asked why this was happening. He said that fender USA was selling directly now.

Now, recently there have been a few interesting things happening here. The Japanese Yen is super low compared to the dollar. It's lost about 16% of its value in the last year and a half. This caused the Fender Mexico offerings here to be almost on top of the Fender Japan offerings. They were redundant.

The distributor model they had in place probably added 15% to the price of anything imported to Japan, and Fender probably didn't make that much royalty on the guitars manufactured in Japan. Getting rid of the Japanese Fenders , and replacing them with Mexican Fenders would get them better scale on their Mexican production, and make those guitars cheaper to make, and cheaper to get to Japan. They could pocket that difference, pass it on to the consumers, or split the difference, making everyone happy.

Most businesses use a distributor model only until the business reaches the critical mass to justify going direct.

I understand this all, but still mourn the passing of Fender Japan...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  8. GazzBass

GazzBass

Apr 20, 2008
    Thanks for the info. Its a sad time indeed. Fender Japan made a lot of great instruments. Lots of interesting models and finishes that Fender USA don't provide.

FlatwoundFunk and Root 5 like this.
  9. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Just received the news from a trusted vendor, fmic just bought over fender Japan. They are closing the Japanese production line. I was just wondering about it after not being able to find fender Japan website

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  10. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    This is true... I just received a news from a dealer in my area. Well, he mentioned fmic just bought over fender japan. I assume they bought over the rights for fender Japan to use its trademark.

11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    :(

blindrabbit likes this.
  12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Maybe if they had made it easier for Americans to buy them over the last few decades, they wouldn't have this problem.

13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The Fender Japan website is alive and well as of this moment.

I call BS on this.

14. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    It they had made it easier for people to buy them, sales of their US made instruments would have gone through the floor.

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't know about that. Americans like buying American products. I think both lines would've done well. Maybe the higher end Mexican Fenders would've gone through the floor, but I think American Fenders woulda done just fine.

16. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Whether it's true or not, Fender seems to be one heck of a messed up company, making a lot of bad decisions.

17. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Anyway there is another thread on the same topic which I didn't see. It is real the Fender Japan website is no longer available.

janogonzalez likes this.
  18. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Feb 24, 2011
    My sentiments exactly.

19. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Yah but they no longer selling the Japanese product. That is a new website. Previously fender Japan is of a seperate entity with fender us.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  20. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Some Americans prefer "buying American", others prefer the best value for the price approach - they do not often lead to the same result.