Fender Jazz Bass 24 experiences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ska, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Roomie got one a GC a while back for $200 - the battery lead was loose, so they sold it as broken.

Got it home, soldered the connection (cold joints can be hard to diagnose) and it plays like a champ now.

2. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I owned one from January of '06 until Summer of '07. I loved it, and it had a great sound and wonderful playability, but it wasn't me. That reflects entirely on me and not at all on the Jazz 24. Righteous instrument.

3. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    neither does mine :confused:

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Good to know. I hope they continue to add color choices.

5. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    HPIM1875.jpg I have had the J-24 4 string for a while now and it has become my main 4 string. Very versatile tone wise and the fit and finish are better than I expected. You can hear it on my myspace music player on the song, "Groove in D". Both the bass line and the lead line are that bass. I decided I wanted to try and get the same tones out of the 5 string version and just got that one last Monday. I can't put it down!!! This thing has some monsterous tones! Again, fit and finish are great! If it's what you are looking for, I don't think you will be disapointed.

P.S. Does anyone have any tips on how to get photobucket to cooperate with me on downsizing my pics? I tried the edit program in photobucket and this is the thumbnail size!!!!

6. When I first played my 24 at the shop, I was impressed and had to have it. When I got home and played it on and off, the initial impression wore off. I experienced massive fret buzz on mostly 6-15th frets as well as the open A string (ouch!). I went as far as selling it back. Well, after thinking about it over a good night sleep. I went back to the shop and took back my 24. The neck on it is just to nice for me to pass up. After having it properly set up (change of strings, neck relief bridge etc) by a pro I can honestly say that this Jazz 24 has earned a place of respect in my stable. The sound is punchy, lively, crisp and smooth. There is very minor buzz, most of the time it's from me not being accurate.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the black 24. I think the tobacco burst looks very classy and finger prints are less noticeable. So, is this the best bass in the world? Of course not, but it is a real nice base for the price. Well constructed, 24 frets, great neck and I personally love the sound. It should however include a case. I mean seriously, even my MIM 60's classic jazz came with a Deluxe gig bag and it cost $50. less.

If you do end up with one, check the set up in the shop very carefully.

IMG_24jazz.gif

7. MrVanimal

MrVanimal

Feb 13, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    I bought a cherry sunburst from a TBer back in May. It is pretty much my dream bass and I could never think to part with it.

8. basskickass12

basskickass12 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    I have a J24 4string and am in the need of replacement pickup screws (from adjusting them too much, the screws are starting to strip). I called Fender, Seymour Duncan, and Cort, and none know the part number. The pickup screws used on this bass was supposedly selected by Cort in Korea and are definitely a different size than standard Fender jazz bass pickup screws.

Does anyone know a part number of these screws or where to find something that will work? I've tried various after market online parts dealers (allparts, warmoth, etc.) and my local hardware stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.).

9. Do these come in fretless?

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    They're made by Cor-Tek, not "Cort." So are nearly all Korean guitars now that Samick's Korean operations are things of the distant past.

"Cort" is the brand name under which Cor-Tek markets its own instruments.

You're welcome, glad to help. ;)

11. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    Photobucket has a size limit of 1.5MB I think for images. You need to convert it to be a bit smaller (your average large image should be no larger than say 300KB), and then it will upload at full size. Actually, I think they have a resolution limit of 1024x768, but you might be able to change that option somewhere...

Anyway, I didn't know you get tops like that on a Fender! They look amazing. I'd like two 5 stringers, tuned BEADG, and EADGC.

12. basskickass12

basskickass12 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    Cygnus X-1, that is a nice looking hardshell case you have pictured with the J24. What is the model number of it?

13. I've owned a Jazz 24 for 4 years now. Looks amazing and plays very well. I gather there have been a few problems with renegade preamps, but no problems to report there.

I had the bass professionally set up a year ago, and fitted a Badass 2 bridge, which makes a huge difference. Only thing i didn't like about the stock bass was the cheapo looking high mass chrome bridge. Properly set up, the neck is superb.

Now using it a second bass to a Lakland 4 94, which, I have to say, is a much better instrument - but should be at the price!

In my view, the Jazz 24 is the best value low/medium priced instrument on the market

14. Thanks, It's a Gator case I picked up at one of the local guitar shops in Allentown. It fits the J24 nicely, with room to spare and goes for $100.

15. basskickass12

basskickass12 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    I tried calling Gator about the case that Cygnus-X1 mentioned, but they claim that all of their bass cases are designed to fit P-basses, not Jazz basses. I also discovered that the J24 is about 1/2" longer than a standard Jazz bass, which means it doesn't fit any standard hardshell cases.

Cygnus-X1, do you have a GC-BASS Gator case? Can you confirm your bass fits inside of it?

Does anyone else have any ideas on what hardshell cases will fir this bass? I have contacted Fender, SKB, and Gator with no luck.

16. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    wierd, fits perfectly in my Hard case that came with my MIA Jazz...

17. basskickass12

basskickass12 Guest

Feb 20, 2007
    By fitting, I mean that the bass sits inside various SKB cases that I have tried. The case closes. However, the cutout in the headstock of the case does not line up with the headstock of the J24. So, the G-string tuning peg knocks into a portion of the case. Depending on how the tuning peg is positioned, placing it in the case knocks it out of tune.

An annoying problem...

18. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    mines fine!

I love my jazz 24, It's really annoying that a sound guy took a chunk out of it, by moving it off the stage without asking me first.

IMG_5198.jpg

19. woah, thats a huge chunk...ouch

whatd you do to him :p

20. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    well, I gave him an earful for not coming to get me before moving my gear, but wasn't too pissed at him - it was a mistake afterall!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021