Fender Jazz Bass 24 experiences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ska, Jul 17, 2008.

1. An old thread but I am gagging to get my hands on at least a neck for one of these... Anyone?

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Good luck finding one. Fender only made them for a few years, and they're getting harder to find. I've only seen a neck pop up on eBay once.

Dave Neal likes this.
  3. I have a pristine J24 but I have a repair here with a hopeless truss rod, I can fix it but it will cost more than the bass is worth. There was a neck on reverb .. it had sold but was still listed, very hard to find indeed.

MonetBass likes this.
  4. MonetBass

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    The truss rod on mine is fine, but the nut is stripped. I can fix it myself, but am waiting for Fender to tell me the thread size on the truss rod so I can get the correct replacement nut. Thankfully, the neck is very stable.

Dave Neal likes this.
  5. The thread is M5.. yes metric and this is the reason why the truss nuts are stripping out, use metric tooling only. Fender normally uses 10/32 thread but because this bass was made in Korea it is metric. M5 and 10/32 are very close to each but not interchangeable. You will need an M5 nut to not cause major headaches.

MonetBass likes this.
  6. MonetBass

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Thank you! That is very helpful. I knew it was metric (I used a 5mm hex wrench), but I believe I grabbed the wrong size once when adjusting it. Thanks again!

7. MonetBass

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    And good luck finding a new neck for yours!

8. Mine is fine, but I have a repair for a client that has a truss rod mess due to wrong tooling and subsequent crappy repair... here is mine ... I bought it for $250 but it was in a mess the preamp was covered in superglue ..(dont ask why). So I have replaced it with a Noll 4xm pre, mounted a bad ass bridge fixed all the scratches and rebuffed it. I refinished the neck in nitro. It is nothing short of a monster bass now. DN012664.jpg DN012665.jpg DN012666.jpg

Beej and MonetBass like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021