1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender jazz deluxe MIM ....what's yalls thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marinecorpsman6, Jan 12, 2012.

1. marinecorpsman6

marinecorpsman6

Apr 12, 2011
    Just wanting yalls opinions on this bass ...I like the idea its active ...I play warwick streamers stages 1 & 2 ....a friend told me about them and just wanted yalls thoughts on them

2. I love mine.

100_7732.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    very nice!!!

i played one @ CG and was blown away. (even the sale person freaked)

4. Looks great, but I'd have to take the covers off.

5. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    I love mine too, best $150 I ever spent!

6. ficalini

ficalini

Aug 5, 2011
    NW Houston
    It's a really good bass, with a ton of tonal options. Plus it generally has an affordable used price. I love mine

7. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

Jun 27, 2011
    I just bought a used one a couple of months ago and I love it. It has just enough tonal variety to be interesting. Also, the pickups are super quiet. My only complaint, screws on the battery plate.

8. I love mine - don't have pickup covers like in the pic above - but I like the way it looks with them.
    BTW - but couldn't have them. they get in my way

Great tonal shaping - clean, great player - but not getting used much since I got my Roadworn.

I have the black with red tort - but put on a Black PG.

Has the early 4 large pole pieces - prior to the noiseless pups
    P1010040.

9. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    I tried one in store, and it was great. In some ways I liked it better than my jaguar. Really well designed, simple, well functioning electronics.

10. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I tried one of these out in a store. And while I love me some Jazz basses, there was little love for this specimen. The fretwork was terrible, and the electronics were noisy. Perhaps this was the result of this bass having been thoroughly abused at the GC store were I demo'd this bass. But that first impression of this bass was a poor one.

11. Shoemaniac - thats too bad.

Mine was a one owner piece - he took great care of it and it makes me feel guilty for putting wear on it. By the same token, that is testament that it is a player.

I have a Jag, and it is definitely a different animal.

Also have a P Dlx (am) which is active, and also a very different animal.

I have thought about selling this, but everytime, I clean it up - set it up and play it a little to be sure it is right, and man.........I end up keeping it. I actually boobytrap myself....and set the price too high.....so if someone really wants it.......I am sure I came out ok.

12. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I bought one last fall and I love it. I did put a black Hipshot bridge on it recently. I just like the look of it, there was nothing wrong with the "bent metal" chrome bridge and the tone/sustain were not changed enough for me to notice. Other than looks the biggest result from changing the bridge was that it forced me to learn to do a setup! I put flatwound strings on it because that is what I prefer. I built a little battery minder circuit in it to warn me when the battery is low. The one thing that I truly dislike about it is one thing that many others love (and has been praised above already): the Tort pickguard! So I likely will change that some day too. In reality though it is all perfectly fine right out of the box, the things I have changed were due to personal preferences, not product deficiencies. I recommend them highly.

I've even played the five string Squier version lately and those are quite fine too. One of the most natural feeling fives I have played so far, to my taste anyway.

Ken

13. I really like mine! I also had to take the covers off but it has a great tone. I use it has a back up to my Geddly Lee.

14. ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I agree. I'm not going to completely write off this particular model based on a poor impression from one instrument. And if I've learned anything over the past few years, it's that players shouldn't turn their noses up to Fender's MIM offerings. I've got a roadworn Jazz bass that plays as well (and in some cases better) than some MIA Fender's that I've owned.

If I could find a decent one of these used, I'd be seriously tempted to pick one up as a project. A different preamp & pickups (Aguilar perhaps) might make this bass pretty spectacular.

15. Funny - I got my RW this past year - and it is pretty much my #1 now.
    [​IMG]
    The Dlx is my "sits in the ready rack" bass - for learning material - practice at home.

16. How does a bass have it's frets go bad or the electronics sound lousy by being badly handled at GC? That statement makes no sense at all.

But if sharp frets were the major disqualifier for buying any bass, I'd buy it anyway. Frets are easy to shape and unsharpen.

17. ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    The electronics were noisy as all get out. Almost every turn of a pot resulted in crackling or loss of signal. And if the bass area was kept at a reasonable humidity level, the neck might not have shrunk so much that the edges of the frets were protruding from the edge of the fingerboard.

If the staff at GC was actually doing their job, they would pull this instrument off the wall and get this instrument in something approximating playable condition. Especially if they wanted to sell it.

18. Double post

19. By 'electronics' do you mean noisy pots or defective shielding and/or noisy p'ups?

If the latter, then I've not heard that problem even close to my computer tower where almost every bass will make noise.

But noisy pots? Buy the bass and clean them after complaining and getting a discount from the store.

Easy-peasy. I still don't see any disqualifiers here - just lack of personal initiative, a can of contact cleaner, a file and wanting to rag on a Fender Deluxe bass.