1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Modern Player: Coronado or Starcaster?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iualum, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Coronado

16 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Starcaster

38 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Which one? And preferably, why you like it more.

CORONADO...
    l_716-0243200531_super.

STARCASTER...
    fender-starcaster-bass-aged-cherry-burst.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  2. TheDepths

TheDepths

Mar 4, 2014
    England
    I've tried both, I liked the sound and playability of the Starcaster more......the Coronado is still a very nice bass but for me the Starcaster wins out.

zontar likes this.
  3. I love the looks of both and would love to own either one of them (or both)! I don't have any opinions on which to choose, but I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them after a decent setup and your choice of strings.

-Ron

4. Only played the Coronado. The headstock is too fat for my tastes but I prefer it over the offset body and wonky headstock of the starcaster.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1

6. Danomo

Danomo Guest

Apr 25, 2013
    The Starcaster is more comfortable on your lap, but the Coronado is more comfortable standing up. I have to say, besides that, both of them are way too heavy. So body heavy in fact that if you take your arm off the body while it's on your lap it's probably going to flop off... Even if you're holding onto the neck.

I had money earmarked for one of these, and after playing them both I decided they were just way too heavy.
    I ended up with a Jack Casady...

Fender JP-90
    Epi Bass Club #169 JC sig

7. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL
    Id kill for a Coronado. I have wanted one for the last 10 years ever since I saw one in a shop in San Diego.

8. Danomo

Danomo Guest

Apr 25, 2013
    Keep in mind that these new models have a solid center block through the body that weighs about 2+ pounds heavier than the original Hollowbody models.

Fender JP-90
    Epi Bass Club #169 JC sig

9. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL

Oh, I know...dont think I havent played and drooled all over the new ones. As well as a couple vintage ones.

I really think that the old Coronado basses, are what made me love short scale basses.

SirMjac28 and Danomo like this.
  10. I've played neither, but I'd choose the 'caster — love that shape, endpin to headstock.

walldaja likes this.
  11. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    I've played both and took the Starcaster home. Like the looks and sound of the Strcaster but as has been noted it is HEAVY. My complaint is there is no case from Fender for either. The Epip Jack Casady case will take a Starcaster and I plan to get one. While I'm looking at it I will also try a Jack Casady bass and may get one.

Danomo likes this.
  12. Not having played either, or heard any sound clips, I'll have to go with the more aesthetically pleasing one, and that would be the Starcaster. I also like the idea of the paired Fender humbuckers.

TeeZeeMee90 likes this.
  13. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The Starcaster looks more interesting to me, and sounds better to my ears. The Coronado is not faithful to the original. It looks all wrong due to the pick ups not being the same as on the old ones. The new pick ups don't sound very good to me.

14. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL
    Can we dig into what colors we think are the coolest now? :p

15. Trying and failing to like the Cherry Burst, and I don't like black basses, so I'd want a natural 'caster. If I ruled the world, I'd want CAR with CAR headstock.

TeeZeeMee90 likes this.
  16. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    I haven't tried eithe but I have heard that the Coronado has more of a Hofner-ish sound while the Starcaster has more drive.

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That'll have to wait until Carvin makes their copy, the SC-4000. Then you can get any color you want (pinch me!) ;)

Orangeclawhammr likes this.
  18. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL
    I personally love the Natural Starcaster, but seeing how I want a Coronado more...I would pick the Black 'Nado over the natural starcaster :)

It really is a toss up between 3tsb and black but I just feel the black really helps the big body out somehow...

19. kbakerde

kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Havn't had a chance to play either. So just asthetically I liked the Starcaster. For basses, I like the offset body. I also like that the body is a little smaller.

20. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ttt