1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I ordered the Hip Shot HP6 tuners with 1/2" shaft to try and correct the neck dive on my Mustang PJ. It looks like I would have to drill out the existing holes on the PJ to accept the threaded bushing on the HP6's.

Don't want to do that...should I have ordered the HP6 with 3/8" shaft?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I've modified my sonic blue PJ Mustang to a state where I'm happy with it. Over the last week I've totally rewired it. The volume and tone pots are now wired like a Telecaster, which has sorted out the harsh volume drops from both controls. I also noticed that the capacitor fitted as a .1 uF capacitor, which is quite a high value for the job required! This is why these basses go into dub territory when you roll off the tone control. I swapped this out with a .02 uF capacitor instead, which makes the tone control a bit more nuanced and precise through its travel. I also shortened wires where possible as the inside of these basses is a rats nest. I did a full copper shielding job, including the back of the pickguard where the wiring channel runs.

The pickups in mine are a Seymour Duncan SBP-2 and STK-J2B set. I bought these used off Ebay, and the previous owner had already de-badged them, which helped me out a bit. I had to re-wire the STK-J2B as two of the hookup wires fell off the terminals when I was working on it. I hard-wired the pickup with a small jumper between the coils, and recycled the Fender bridge pickup wires to the other two terminals on the pickup. This means that, in true Fender fashion, I could run a white and black wire into the cavity from this pickup, and not have to mess around with four wire + ground wire hookup. I dislike four wire wiring at the best of times; especially when the wires are hair thin and getting everywhere.

I star-grounded everything to the eyelet that screws into the control cavity floor, and the bass is now totally whisper quiet. The SPB-2 delivered a lot of thump, and the STK-J2B is quite weak by comparison. However if I A/B this with my stock white PJ bass then there isn't a lot of difference between bridge pickups. The STK-J2B is, at least, totally hum free. This is good as I have a couple of festival dates coming up in the summer and I don't want to be caught out again!

Honestly Fender get 2/10 for the quality of wiring and shielding in these Mustang basses. They use cheap 3-way switches and only partially shield the cavities. In both basses the route for the switch is totally unshielded, and I'm not convinced the black shielding paint Fender use is all that effective anyway. The yards of black and white hookup wire crammed into each bass is also a total pain, and the way the volume and tone pots are wired isn't the most helpful either, as I found it makes the controls way too sensitive to adjustment.

Anyway, my white bass is now next in the queue for modifications. I will probably go the full copper route on this one as well, and maybe look at a different pickup set. The 3-way switch has to be replaced as it is already a little crackly, and I will re-wire the controls as I did the sonic blue bass. I've cut a red pickguard for this bass, but I'm leaning towards a black pickguard. I saw a photo recently of a 1977 Mustang bass with a nice rosewood board, and I'm thinking a black 'guard looks pretty good:

vnubnz0mhsad6hq3sox4.

I just need some black Strat knobs and a thumb rest! I'm thinking of keeping my white bass as my 'roundwound' Mustang.

3. @Dseries Have you seen this thread? All the help you need here :)
    Now I'm getting out before someone makes me buy one :roflmao:

4. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    When I go to the Fender site and look at the number of instruments for each type - Jazz, Precision, etcetera, it show " (1) " for the Mustangs. I think they discontinued the Mustang PJ.

5. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    I can only speak to the MIJ Mustangs. They use cheap Alpha pots and the shielding is non-existent. I had nylon tapewound strings on one of my 'stangs and it was noisy as heck.

Axstar likes this.
  6. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Yup! I still have gut shots from mine...

wNJpoS8.

uJZ5Xr5.

The stock wiring was nothing to write home about:

qMOZWyJ.

7. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    Your instrument has different pots than mine. Yours seem to say "JS" on them. Mine are clearly marked "Alpha."

Axstar likes this.
  8. Mustang PJ Bass.

My new Sonic Blue Mustang PJ Bass. May I have a number please?

9. Florinda4

Florinda4 Supporting Member

Nice - and welcome to the club!

@MacBass57 = #40

10. Modder

Modder

Jan 2, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Compliments on the colour choice, you have taste!

Attached Files:

Axstar likes this.
  11. Florinda4

Greetings Mustangers! I have another modded Mustang to put before the assemblage.

Back in January I took advantage of the Adorama special $400 deal on my Surf Pearl Mustang PJ. I liked the price and sound a lot; the color & electronics, not so much:

upload_2018-6-1_23-12-35.

So, it doesn't look like that any more. And even though it sounded very good out of the box, it doesn't sound exactly like that any more either. Sorry to chew up a bunch of thread, but if you'll indulge me, I just got it back from the mod man and have had serious trouble putting it down long enough to take snaps:

upload_2018-6-1_23-18-33.

- Replaced all hardware (including face plate) and wiring, and the pups - now both P & J = Lindy Fralin. Strong improvement in both signals, but especially in the J pup.
    - Hipshot Kickass bridge. Screws lined up exactly with existing holes.

upload_2018-6-1_23-22-29.

Ahhh... no more pesky switch! I tripped it accidentally every time I played the instrument, even after lowering it a bit using a trick learned way back in this thread (flailing around in a fit of bassic-delight as usual no doubt)(Edit: switch issue was here: Fender Mustang Club). Instead now, the top single knob is pup blend, and the bottom is a stacked knob - volume on top, tone beneath.

upload_2018-6-1_23-29-16.

And I have always loved candy tangerine on cars. Ms. Painter-person did a stellar job I think. This is about as close as I'm ever going to get to a real 1965 candy tangerine Ford Mustang 289 - but it's probably just as well. It's a lot le$$, even though it ain't no $400 bass no mo. :whistle:

I didn't change the neck or fingerboard. Still feels great, solid and straight, no neck dive at all. I've played it with my mates twice since getting it back - small group straight up jazz both times. Gonna try it this weekend at a big band rehearsal. Awesome, wonderful flexibility of sound now with pup blender, and it's just so light and easy on the left hand to play. Punchy, clear, with a nice sweet voice in the higher register. I still love the my Pbass and MM Sterling, but I think I'll keep this little beauty around for awhile.

Question For Mustangers: the black pick guard is ok, but essentially a placeholder. Any ideas on a pick guard color/style? I'm looking for flashy, but classy. Deep blues, greens, fire, lava patterns have been suggested... not white or tort please... always kinda like the idea of chrome diamond plate :woot:...

Thanks for checking it out...

Flo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  12. cattrax

cattrax

Oct 17, 2010
    SW Florida
    Wow! That's beautiful! I think the black pickguard looks amazing on the candy tangerine.

13. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Mirror pickguard?

Florinda4 likes this.
  14. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Florinda4 likes this.
  15. neljoshua

neljoshua Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Bennett, CO (80102)
    @Florinda4 , that looks great! Personally I would vote black pearloid.

Please count me in too.

718A6645-C21B-432F-BA61-58BEBD2F4A4A.

Duder, Florinda4 and winterburn69 like this.
  16. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I have a JMJ now but think I might return it and scour the web for an orange PJ. Orange is my favorite color, PLUS i have a big tax bill to pay and could use the few hundred difference in price.

BTW, AMS says the orange ones are coming back in stock next month and has a preorder thing set up for them. Do you guys know if this is accurate? I can wait a month for my favorite color... =0)

17. Florinda4

Thanks! And welcome to the corral!

@neljoshua = #41

18. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    I didn't go to far back on this thread but here goes. I have a MIM mustang pj that I really like but the tuners are to tight and with my severe Rheumatoid Arthritis I can't get a fine tune. Do you think that the Hipshot or Gotoh would help this problem. Finally there seems to be some difference of opinion whether the HB10 or the HB7 are the drop in replacements for the MIM mustangs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you very much
    Bob

19. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I heard from Hip Shot that the HB6-3/8" are the replacements for MIM Mustangs. I have mine on order and will report back...

20. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Thank you very much

SoulReflection likes this.