Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FlyingPigSound, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    They look to me like either Hagstrom Bisonic/Guild Starfire pickups or the Hammond/Novak Dark Star reissues of those pickups.

2. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    If CME still HAS any.

But the key word holding me back would be 'bring'.

Even without the pandemic border measures and related extra costs considered, for me it would be, I'm guessing, mayhaps a dozen hours drive each way, or a flight likely setting me back more than the bass.

I live not far from Ottawa.

There is however another way.

A goods broker near our closest border crossing offers an arrangement whereby people can have US-based goods shipped to their depot in the US city nearest them, and the company, for a fee of course, will do the paperwork, pay the duty and taxes on our behalf, bring the goods across the border, and the customer can either pick the goods up at their Canadian depot, or have them brought or shipped the rest of the way.

I have not yet costed out this arrangement.

My feeling though is that it might be easier and less expensive to watch for a used one on eBay or Reverb.

That all said, IIRC, I think that maybe 15 years ago I did once have CME ship a bass directly to me, bought thru an eBay ad.

But it was a Conklin, not a Fender, so the border logistics were routine.
    ~

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  3. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Thanks, Those are beautiful looking basses, I love the colours

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  4. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Now I need to tell this to the fellow in our band who sings the song.

It's HIM who introduces it as one of Buck's.
    ~

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  5. Thank you, I have artistic kids.:thumbsup:

6. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I know because I sing it in my band and also own a "Johnny Paycheck bass" ('65 Teisco Del Rey short-scale) Love the Buck though - :thumbsup:

upload_2021-11-19_17-6-31.jpeg

7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    It's a relatively easy way to have most any pg "look" using any mostly flat underlay.

My '68 Coral (Dano) used a 3D drum-skin textured plastic under clear.
    upload_2021-11-19_17-12-35.jpeg

Sorry for the non-Mustang tangent...

WI Short Scaler and CPB2019 like this.
  8. Looks cool.

JIO likes this.
  9. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Hmmmm.... the body reminds me of a Jaguar bass.

More on this beast here :

Identify This Bass, Please
    ~

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    JIO likes this.
  10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    The Fender Jazzmaster (summer '58) and Jaguar (spring '62) shared the same body style, and that body style was the most copied guitar shape in the '60s, most especially by the Japanese makers who were flooding the market with guitars/basses for the growing guitar boom. It's understandable as it is ergonomic and classy. Leo and Freddie Tavares developed the Jazzmaster as a top-of-the-line model to replace the Stratocaster and was targeted at jazz players. Well, we know how that went - the Strat stayed the flagship guitar and jazzers really didn't gravitate to them. They gained a higher profile in the late '80s/'90s played by many alternative rock/grunge and jazz players because Strats were becoming too expensive for starting-out players and Jazzmasters/Jaguars could be bought used for an affordable price. Jaguars were the most expensive Fender guitar when introduced, and became a favorite for surf bands being more bright sounding than the darker sounding Jazzmaster.

DavesnothereCA and G-Dog like this.
  11. Robot.G

Robot.G Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    The song that made me check out the mustang bass

halfwound121 likes this.
  12. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Someday this singer might like to be able to prove she did sing with a band...?? :rollno: :(
    (A little humility is nice to see in an artist, -but total anonymity?) o_O

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    WI Short Scaler and 2cooltoolz like this.
  13. MagnusGudberg

MagnusGudberg

Aug 12, 2019
    My sweet honey bee 77 mustang arrived couple of days a go and sure sounds and feels sweet. Me and miss monroe approve and gave her new LaBella MUS flats for homecoming present :woot: IMG_20211122_211422_535.jpg

14. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Nice, real nice....
    I also put LaBella MUS flats on my CV60 Squier Mustang. Didn't like them at first, so I tried others that I also didn't much like, so then put the MUS ones back on and now after 6 months of use they're broken in and sound terrific!!

MagnusGudberg and SoulReflection like this.
  15. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Well, IMHO, flats are the best after being broken in, unless you like more modern stuff. I have LB flats on my Jag, Mustang PJ, Player P and Rogue. I wouldn't have anything else because I am real old school...

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  16. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Totally agree... Rounds are just fret or board grinders and way too twangy IMO.
    Flats are the real :poop:!! -Also I like my fingertips and see no good reason to abuse them!

17. Robot.G

Robot.G Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    What's the problem?

Here's the full performance on KEXP. There are many more. Check them out. Rose Windows is pretty amazing!

SoulReflection and Xavierbass like this.
  18. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    It's not a problem with or for me. I'm just surprised that a singer would perform in a video with her hair covering her face so much that you just about never see it? -She might as well be wearing a veil...
    I doubt limiting one's exposure in a performance, no matter how currently 'cool' that might be, is a good career move.
    But, like I say, it's not my problem. I'm just surprised by the video and commenting on it. Nor is it your problem either I'm guessing, unless you're working for her or the band?
    {And 'amazing' is really a subjective matter of opinion.......}

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  19. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Buck sang it too. ;)

20. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Nice ! :thumbsup: :)

I only wish that they would offer a current version of these with a P width at the nut, instead of the narrower J width so often being pushed these days by most makers in pretty much all scale lengths of basses.

If they do in future, I'm in !

It's sooooo hard to find an original such as yours !

And likely it is expensive too, if one surfaces occasionally.
    ~

MagnusGudberg likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021