Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FlyingPigSound, Feb 8, 2018.

1. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    A-HA !!!

So my bandmate is not delusional after all. :D

Actually, it was common back in the day for multiple Country artists to include many of the same songs on their respective albums, and then they and/or the record companies would choose after the recording, which titles would be released as singles.

I wonder whether Buck's version of A-11 came out as single, and if so, at what point in time.

From Wikipedia, it seems to have been Paychecks's first single to show on the charts, during 1965.

BTW, the Buck album in the pic looks like a 'Best-Of' compilation.

However, this site suggests that it was a regular album, just one with lots of hits, and I did not notice any of those songs on an earlier Buck LP.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/together-again-my-heart-skips-a-beat-mw0000115823

BTW, it also says that A-11 was written by Hank Cochran, and that Owens released it in 1964 [before Paycheck], but it looks like Paycheck may have gotten more airplay from A-11.

Edit : Further incomplete info on a possible A-11 album :

https://www.allmusic.com/album/a-11-mw0000854690
    ~

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    BassmanM likes this.
  2. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Anybody looking to part with their black JMJ? Stupidly sold my blue one awhile back. You know the drill! PM me. Thanks.

3. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Ok so I got my new pickguard, and Duncan Quarter pounders
    IMG_20211123_155658902_HDR.jpg

Oatis, djasterix, Robot.G and 8 others like this.
  4. NorthTexasBass

NorthTexasBass Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth

The JMJ Mustang has a P Bass width nut and a nice chunky neck. Feels bigger than my AM Pro II Precision.

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  5. That looks fabulous! :thumbsup:

6. MagnusGudberg

MagnusGudberg

Aug 12, 2019
    The JMJ and the Vintera have a 1.625 nut width but there is no maple board version availible with those specs indeed.

7. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Yes, according to my recent research, the JMJ, the American Performer, and the Vintera Mustangs each have the wider nut neck more like a P - their 3 most expensive current models, no Squiers like that ATM - but there's usually always something else about each model which turns me off.

In the instance of the JMJ, it's the fake relic'd body finish.

With the Am Perf, it's mostly the premium price.

The Vintera seems to be the lesser evil of those 3, though at a Grand in USD [~$1,300 CAD] plus tax, I get the feeling that a real 70s Mustang bass [like what we just saw, a few posts up] might overlap into the same price bracket, if any more happen to surface.

Hmmmm....
    ~

SoulReflection and MagnusGudberg like this.
  8. MagnusGudberg

MagnusGudberg

Aug 12, 2019
    I got my 77 honey bee for 1800$

9. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Thank you, I really like it

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  10. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    In USD ?

That's a little dear mayhaps, but if it's in good enough condition, in that colour scheme and with Maple fretboard [and the wider nut neck of course], plus considering that AFAIK back during that period that they were all MIA, then possibly not so bad.

And if it was a private deal, there would be no tax, though it might cost for shipping.
    ~

11. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Ya, but if everything ELSE was kosher, then I'd be willing to consider Rosewood. ;)
    ~

MagnusGudberg likes this.
  12. MagnusGudberg

MagnusGudberg

Aug 12, 2019
    Yeah thats in USD and incluted shipping and tax. After owning all the spectrum of mustangs (pawn shop, pj, japan, vintera and JMJ) it is well worth it, easily the best Mustang i have had so im happy :thumbsup:

rllefebv, Lex P. and DavesnothereCA like this.
  13. Robot.G

Robot.G Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    Crazy pickguard! I like it!

How do you like the Duncan Quarter Pounders compared to the stock pickups?

14. Robot.G

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    That was the first performance with a bassist playing a Mustang I've really noticed. It made me think of the Mustang as more than just a student-grade instrument and I ended up buying one as a result. I'd like to hunt down a vintage Mustang bass someday soon. I'd love to hear more about how people discovered their paths towards Mustang basses and maybe less about your opinions about a singer's hair. Haha!

2cooltoolz likes this.
  15. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Sorry.... Didn't mean to perturb your fandom. Haha!
    Also there are plenty, but plenty of stories about Mustang basses here. And you'll probably discover them much better if you ignore my comments about videos you've posted with opinions re them?

16. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I agree with Greywoulf. That wasn't the fashion back in the 60s when we were still fans of something. You should ignore his comments. :rollno: :rollno: :rollno: :rollno: :rollno:

17. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    They are good pickups, I like them a lot, they are ballsy and they have a lot of rasp to them which seems to be a characteristic of Duncan pickups (I have SPB-2 in another bass and they are a lot less bright but they have that rasp to them as well albeit in the midrange frequencies)

Robot.G likes this.
  18. Robot.G

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    The only thing that's perturbing to me is that your initial comment was about a female performer's appearance which has absolutely nothing to do with her musical abilities and it was also completely off-topic. Something to think about. I'm moving on now. Happy Thanksgiving!

19. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    I was surprised and mildly concerned (for her actually) that that poorly made music video did not show her face... You're making remarks about it now that suggest something entirely different that's not true. In no way did I criticize either her personal appearance or her music ability. -How in the world did you arrive at that conclusion??
    Also if you post a video for folks to review on TB, how is it off-topic when folks comment on it? Does it become something sacred? Yes, indeed something to think about...
    Enjoy your turkey!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  20. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I am thinking that a lot of people viewing this thread don't really care about your bickering about hair and vocal attributes. I, for one, wish you could take your differences to PM and allow us to get back to Mustang discussions. Just a thought.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021