Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FlyingPigSound, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Robot.G

Robot.G Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    I agree and I've tried my best.

2. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Great, so can we just move on?

Greywoulf and Robot.G like this.
  3. Robot.G

Robot.G Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    Sure. What prompted you personally to consider a Mustang over other options?

4. MagnusGudberg

MagnusGudberg

Aug 12, 2019
    Exactly take that talk to the pm :whistle:

Robot.G likes this.
  5. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    My age indicated that a short scale and thin neck would be better for me. As I have posted before, those two features proved to be accurate but, I did not anticipate the slab body discomfort. So, I considered other options and bought a Squier Jag. Less expensive and had a contoured body. I love it.

I have longed for a true P bass and went for a Player P because the price was right. Turns out that I can play it, for a limited time but, it sounds so good.

I am happy with all my basses, even the Rogue because it reminds me of the Gibson that got me into this mess...;).

6. I love SS's and already had two MM's and a couple years ago an opportunity to buy a Mustang came up locally. I hesitated even though I liked how it played and missed out.

Since that time I had changed out the chunky neck on my rebuilt Fender Musicmaster with a Bronco neck.

So when my daughter expressed an interest in painting a bass for me I went for the first loaded Mustang body I could find. And slapped a Bronco neck in that too. It has a different feel to how it plays but it's great.

7. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Okay. I'm in. I've been playing 5 strings for several years. The lightest of my rotation of 3 is right at 10 lbs. My back has been steadily deteriorating for several years, to the point surgery (Lumbar Fusion) was necessary. Additionally, I am developing Arthritis in my hands; particularly my left thumb.

So, smaller, lighter, lower string tension. Voila!! I'm a parts bass guy, and wanted a bass that would fit with a bunch of old guys playing blues and classic (mostly southern) rock. Player body with JMJ neck. "Vintage" Fender precision style parts.

PJ Mustang Full.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    DAVEYC, Robot.G, Leonid Nidis and 3 others like this.
  8. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    I bought my CV60 Squier Mustang because:
    a} I mostly use lightweight short scale basses now. -And the CV Mustang is both!
    (-Especially with Hipshot Ultralight tuner replacements...)
    b} It also had the narrower J width neck and nut which I especially like.
    c} I grew tired of PJ basses and it's small original Mustang-style split pup looked good to me!
    d} It looks (and now feels) like a work of art, plus the quality and finish of it's build looked (and is) quite good...
    e} I'd read where it had great old school tones when using good flats. (-And it sure as hell does!)
    f} I didn't want to pay $1K++ for a Fender small pup Mustang when I'd already discovered that the CV Squiers are often just as good for a lot less $$.
    g} It just looked like ~fun~ to me! (-And it sure as hell is...) :D
    IMG_1135.JPG ThumbR3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 9:37 AM
  9. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    UPDATED: https://secondhandsongs.com/work/128059/all Buck actually recorded it before Johnny Paycheck by a little over a year but JP launched his solo career singing/playing it.

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  10. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Yes, that's what my followup research also led me to believe.

So I wonder how many venues with jukeboxes showed the sense of humour to put that record into the A-11 slot of their box ? :D
    ~

11. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I always check but so far I haven't seen it...

12. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Has anyone here ever made (or played) a Mustang fretless? I'm looking for a short scale lightweight fretless but they're hard to find unless you spend big $$. (And no, I don't like the SX short scale fretless; I had one a few years ago and found it too chunky and heavy...)
    I'm thinking a CV60 Squier Mustang, plus another $250 for a good luthier defret job, wouldn't break the bank and would be lightweight and short scale. It would certainly be easy to play, but I'm wondering how a small pup Mustang would sound fretless?
    Thanks,
    Greywoulf

13. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    As my other posts have indicated, I'm still at the 'considering' phase, and have not yet bought a Mustang.

Like some of you, what first got me interested in short scale basses in general, 3 or 4 years ago, was the need and desire for a lighter weight bass, and it turns out that a lot of shorter scale basses tick that box.

During that period, I was diagnosed with a deterioration of the discs and whatnot of the lumbar region of my back [rather than the bones themselves, and it shows in the X-rays], not to the point of surgery so far, but I wish to avoid/postpone that for as long as possible.

So an attitude of prevention, with lighter weight gear all around, not just the bass, and a general newfound care as to how much I lift at a time, how far I should try to carry it, and moving more slowly and deliberately whenever I do lift anything at all, with less twisting and stretching even when not lifting stuff.

That all said, also deciding to sit down while playing has reduced my actual need for a lighter weight bass, but with the door now having been opened to short and medium scale basses after decades with my Ric 4001, I have nonetheless bought several, and have discovered/decided that I like them for other reasons than simply the weight factor.

So the Mustang has been a natural candidate, though I still have my overall preferences in basses, such as a wider nut width neck, Maple fretboard, and certain body finishes, which limit my choice of models - or do a parts bass Mustang as certain of y'all have done.

As for the electronics, I'm still mulling over which of the stock offerings may suit me best, or whether to go directly to modding one of them.

I'm considering the models with with the original small split pickup design, but if I ended up with a PJ Mustang, I would either not use the J pickup much, or would change it for one which cancels hum, " 'cause ah HATES hum !" [spoken in Yosemite Sam's voice], and possibly a blend control instead of a pickup switch, just because I want to try one.

Alternate tuners and bridge are a possibility but not a certainty, however definitely will go to flatwound strings of some sort, in not too light of a gauge, which eliminates some brands.

That would be MY kind of Mustang. :) :cool: :thumbsup:
    ~

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 10:30 PM
    rllefebv and Robot.G like this.
  14. DAVEYC

DAVEYC

Jun 30, 2019
    East Sussex
    I've not had my PJ Mustang for very long but I've noticed something odd with the volume /tone controls.
    When my tone is rolled right off or down low,the volume pot has a very pronounced step at about 80%
    If I increase the tone to over 50% , then my volume output seems not to have a step but is more evenly spread over the complete turn of the knob.
    Is this an issue or normal ?
    I did have look under the control plate, the pots just say ' Made in Korea' on them,

15. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    And the Duncans are out, I took my Mustang to rehearsal and with the Duncans I just felt like sonically something was missing, the stock pickups in the Mustang have a really nice airy brightness to them and just the right amount of scoop with both pickups on and the Duncans were missing that

Real Soon, Robot.G and DavesnothereCA like this.
  16. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Buy used if you are unsure, that way if you don't get on with it you can sell and not lose money

17. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been enjoying the sound of my Mustang PJ with the GHS Pressurewounds on it plenty, but must say... recently, I've been thinking about what it'd sound like with a set of flats on it, along with the EMG Geezer pickup set.....

@DAVEYC I don't think I've ever played a (passive) bass where the volume and tone don't have some kind of interplay that makes them seem audibly a bit incongruent when sweeping knobs. Usu it's the reverse of the scenario you describe, but I personally wouldn't be too surprised by that behavior.

@shoulderpet the stock P pickup is, to my ears, on par with the pickup in the 50s Classic & Vintera Precision basses. I've got a 50s Classic already or I might've kept my Mustang with stock pups.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2021