1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Thanks...the refinish was $250.00. I started on bass in the mid '60's so the refinish made it my...
    "Time Machine";). I don't consider my Mustang to be a budget bass (I have a Squier Jag which is). I was prepared to pay more for a full size Fender P or J, but the Mustang has the sound and the short scale, this, at my age, made the refinish justified, to me. My Squier has a $40 Fender gig bag but my Mustang has this:

Mustang in gator.JPG
    It is the Gator PG and has loads of protection and storage options. If you watch MF for their specials you can get one for a little over $100 with free shipping and bonus points for future purchases, that is what I did...

Attached Files:

lowplaces, GotRoot? and MCF like this.
  2. Slammin Scotty

Slammin Scotty

May 13, 2013
    NY
    I tried to buying that case at that price from MF with various 20%-25% off coupons but it would kept coming back ineligible for discount. Did you have to call MF or do you have a secret coupon code?

You make a good point about value versus cost. A guitar is worth whatever it is worth to you. When I told my wife I had bought another bass I rationalized it as an inexpensive purchase and a deal too good to pass up. I am trying to stay true to that intent. Truth is, at $399 this MIM Mustang is the second most expensive bass guitar I have bought and that includes my 4001 Ricky. ($325 new in 1973.) Only my 51 CIJ reissue P Bass cost more and only $26 more at that! Actually with the mods I guess the Mustang is my most expensive bass guitar purchase.

PS
    I do like that burst finish. Similar to my G&L which at $325 is my budget bass. IMG_5409.

MCF and SoulReflection like this.
  3. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    If they do not list the specific item with a discount, on line, their system will kick back your on line request. Take advantage of any solicitation you might get from by email or phone call from one of their sales people, then call them or, call them anyway and tell them your interest. Apparently, sales agents have some latitude in negotiating by direct phone contact. Hope this helps. Edit: Don't forget to sign up for free Stage Pass program, that helps.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    MCF likes this.
  4. audibutthole

audibutthole

Jan 23, 2019
    I’m a few days into my new American Perfomer mustang and I must say I love it. However, as a fairly newly introduced mustang player I have no clue about traditional and other variants of the mustang. Coming from a jazz bass the main problem for me has been the size of the neck. Do all traditional mustangs have this thick of a neck? I guess I’m used to my jazz bass so this will take some accommodation

5. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Congrats! For the most part, Mustang necks have been more P than J. Usually 1.625 to 1.65 at the nut. There have been some exceptions. For example, Some MIJs and the current MIM PJs have a 1.5 nut.

I’ve found that switching between basses with J necks, skinny Ibenez necks and Gibson Tbird necks on the one hand and P bass necks on the other is barely noticeable after getting used to the differences. Although I generally prefer thin over chunky, a chunkier neck isn’t a deal breaker if the bass is otherwise pretty special.

6. audibutthole

audibutthole

Jan 23, 2019
    Thanks a ton! Appreciate the feedback and reassurance. Love the bass, just used to a J neck. But I’ve always wanted a more P style anyways just to have the best of both worlds

MCF likes this.
  7. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Welcome to TB, the Mustang has had a few changes over the years. I can only speak on the Mustang PJ that I have. It is very close to the jazz neck but in short scale. If you google sweetwater, Fender Mustang Bass, compare what you bought to the Mustang PJ. You will see that the Performer is 1.625 neck width but the PJ is 1.5. There is also a difference in the C Profile, which I do not understand. That's all I have but I am sure some more experience members will be along shortly with their comments.

MCF likes this.
  8. audibutthole

audibutthole

Jan 23, 2019
    Appreciate the feedback. I was incredibly tempted to go PJ mustang. But after never owning an American fender, I pulled the trigger. I can’t say I’m disappointed— just more of an adjustment to make. I love the sound of it, and the neck isn’t a baseball bat so it’s more than playabale, I’ve just learned on a jazz bass neck.

MCF likes this.
  9. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I played a PJ at Guitar Center for about 5 minutes. The neck felt thicker front-to-back than my CIJ.

10. Florinda4

Florinda4 Supporting Member

Nice! Welcome to the remuda Hoss!

@Slammin Scotty = #62

MCF likes this.
  11. Slammin Scotty

Slammin Scotty

May 13, 2013
    NY
    Well I tried calling and speaking with a sales rep and she told me they had changed their policy and only qualified items could be offered at a sale price. She did offer to allow me to “bundle” 3 or more items for a special price and also let me know that they do price match. Price matching after the fact is a good incentive to buy Nice offer but if I’m shopping for a given item and company X gives me the lowest price I have no incentive to go back to MF and give them the business. Might as well say “We could sell it for less but not to you.”

MCF likes this.
  12. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Sorry to hear that, maybe it helps to have made purchases in the past. I have always had good luck when responding to their emails or when they called me direct.

13. Slammin Scotty

Slammin Scotty

May 13, 2013
    NY
    I have also bought items from them in the past. Nothing big ticket but it adds up. No issue, I gave it a shot and they weren’t interested. There are no shortage of online retailers, I’m sure I’ll find something.

MCF and SoulReflection like this.
  14. Johnny_Paps

Johnny_Paps

Jan 27, 2019
    970DA872-0C6F-4947-9EAF-B58F986CE3AE.

Just finished this earlier today.

Figured I’d join the club!

15. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I'd like to hear that one.

Can you give us a little rundown on all what it is?

MCF likes this.
  16. Johnny_Paps

Johnny_Paps

Jan 27, 2019
    I got this one back in October from a guy on Craigslist for $380 almost new. It was completely stock aside from new strings.

So I played it for a while and decided it’s time to Frankenstein.

I routed the bridge pickup to fit a musicman pup. It’s not 100% exact but it came out really nice. The jbass pup was a little wider than the musicman leaving a small gap between each end. Nbd to me I’m looking for the sound. I used a Seymour Duncan SMB-4D and in the neck I upgraded to Duncan Quarter Pound SPB-3. For the pots I went CTS 250k and switchcraft input which I cut out for a side jack hole. Had to bore out the control plate to fit the CTS full size pots (I know bash me all you want. Could’ve just got mini pots). I used wired from the original configuration as well as the capacitor. Also had to make space for the tone knob under the plate. Added a nice clean vintage pearloid pickgaurd without the switch hole. Only thing I didn’t replace was the bridge. Figured I’d come back to that later on.

All in all I’m more than satisfied with how she turned out. The pbass pickup upgrade alone gave it much more depth. But with the MM the tone variety is awesome. I’m gonna take it to jam tomorrow and see how it really turned out. I’m sure there’s more work to be done.

MCF, GotRoot?, TK4261 and 2 others like this.
  17. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Nice mods. I swapped out pickups on mine and it makes it a viable instrument. Still need to rewire tone control.

Be sure to tell us how she does in the jam!

dmt, MCF and Johnny_Paps like this.
  18. Havard Ramses

Havard Ramses

Oct 29, 2014
    Oslo
    F098CBC5-9D9B-4FEF-B033-041BDCB7EAF3.

Gotoh 201B4. Straight in existing holes. Took me 15 minutes. Wow

MCF, Johnny_Paps, mikeyjm2 and 3 others like this.
  19. So, with all the discussion lately about the dopey wiring on the Mustang PJ's volume pot, I finally got around to opening mine up, exchanging those two wires, and replacing the stock switch with a Switchcraft while I was in there. The volume/tone controls work much better now. I also ordered a W/B/W pickguard from WD Music, which arrived today, so that is installed too. It fits perfectly. Sorry, I know Sonic Blue + mint appeals to some people around here, but I never cared for it. Especially since the Sonic Blue they're using on this model is really more of a ghostly gray/white that can look either vaguely greenish or vaguely bluish depending on the light. Here's what mine looks like now (including the Hipshot Type B bridge I installed last year).

i-jhJvbQN-XL.

20. Like the look of the Squier Mustang too. I didn't know they made one.
    Your thoughts on it?