1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

They only made them a couple of years,and are now hard to find. Honestly, it plays as well as the MIJ Mustang I stupidly sold a few years back.

MCF and rodl2005 like this.
  2. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    Are there differences sound wise with the JMJ and the AM performer mustang, when I wouldn't use the bridge PU of the performer or do they sound exactly the same in that setting?
    Thank you very much!
    I can't decide between the JMJ and the AM performer mustang.

sumskilz and MCF like this.
  3. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    I have been a follower of this thread for a while and I finally picked up a PJ!
    50A9B5A8-3FD9-41A9-8507-1DCBD5059653.

4. Donzer

Donzer

Jun 28, 2017
    I can only tell you that I got the aubergine one last week, and for me it is absolutely perfect. The G was a bit low, but we fixed that to my satisfaction in the shop. You think the light set is what they put on as standard - it does seem that way - whatever it is I LIKE it !

MCF and HD007 like this.
  5. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    Are there differences sound wise with the JMJ and the AM performer mustang, when I use the neck PU only?
    I can't decide between the JMJ and the AM performer mustang.
    They cost about the same here in Germany.

6. halfwound121

I've had my American Performer for a couple of weeks, and I love it. While it looks a bit strange with the mini-split pickup and full size bridge, they put out about the same volume with phenomenal tone. I love the neck, fit and finish, and overall playability. Anyone on the fence should jump.

7. LionOnBass

LionOnBass

Jul 10, 2018
    Germany
    Is it lightweight? Did you compared it to the JMJ Mustang? Thank you

MCF likes this.
  8. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    If you can get to this site: https://www.sweetwater.com/c581--4_...I6WyJGZW5kZXIiXSwiUHJpY2UgUmFuZ2UiOlsiOSJdfX0

They list 8 AP Mustangs - they all range in weight from 8 lb to 8 lb, 6 oz.

About the sound - I don't have either of them, and don't know if they even use the same Mustang pickup,
    but if they do, the difference would be in having the extra pot and wiring, and possibly a very slightly different
    position of the Mustang pickup.
    If there's any sound difference when using just the M pickup, it should be negligible.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    MCF and LionOnBass like this.
  9. ratamanila

ratamanila

Mar 1, 2018
    Canada
    Planning to get Model J myself, do you have a wiring diagram that I can use? not sure how to do it. Thanks

10. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Unfortunately not, as I didn't use a diagram myself.

The Model J in mine is wired with the two coils in series. To do this I soldered the white and black wires together and used heatshrink over the join. The red wire is the 'hot', running to the switch. The black is the ground wire, which I ran to a universal ground lug I soldered all my grounds to.

52Sv7Wf.

This photo shows most of it, but it isn't very clear! The black and white wires from both the Model P and J pickups run into the control cavity, and have green heatshrink on the joins. I kept these wires long. In the past I've snipped these two wires quite short on a Model P pickup, but it means they are difficult to ever rewire in any other configuration. Both black/white wire 'series links' are held in place by a small wire strap I soldered into the copper shielding, just off of the top right corner of the Model P pickup in the photo (you can see a solder blob).

The red wires of both the Model P and J pickups were extended, from memory, to run to the switch. The white wire, returning from the common output terminal of the switch, and the black wire grounding the switch, (as well as the red wires from the pickups) are all shrouded in a heatshrink tube just below the switch.

dmt, GotRoot? and MCF like this.
  11. halfwound121

It’s light, much lighter than my ‘76 model, and about the same as my MIM PJ. I’ve not had a chance to play a JMJ so I can’t comment on that one. I’m not a fan of relic finishes, though.

LionOnBass likes this.
  12. ratamanila

ratamanila

Mar 1, 2018
    Canada
    @Axstar thanks a lot

Axstar likes this.
  13. Harold Runyan

Harold Runyan

Apr 27, 2015
    CA44B611-34C2-4A68-8431-C2BB1C096F60.
    I did play a JMJ and the PJ at the same shop. I liked the JMJ a little better but am like you in that I didn’t care for the relic finish. Now of course our buds at Fender have introduced more versions of this bass! I bought the PJ and began the process of modding it more to my liking. It’s wearing a new bridge and pick guard so far. I have a set of Geezers I intend to install when I get the chance. Gonna do a stacked volume knob and do away with the switch. It’ll end up with a V/V T configuration.

MCF, halfwound121, GotRoot? and 3 others like this.
  14. Havard Ramses

Havard Ramses

Oct 29, 2014
    Oslo
    I have convinced myself that the jmj model is a bit more handmade and therefore better set up and mounted and controlled by actual people.

15. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    How did you find out?

16. djett

djett

Jun 13, 2012
    Big Canoe, GA
    Looking for opinions on a pickguard replacement for my Sonic Blue Mustang PJ. Not in love with the current mint green one. On this forum I have seen white and pearlized white. Has anyone seen any other colors that looked good with the Sonic Blue?

17. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Squier VM Mustang Mod Update

Wanted to try 2 versions of a double Mustang pickup bass.
    Routed, made mounting plates, installed pickups, and wired with stacked knobs.
    One is like a regular double P, but with Mustang pickups, and the other has the pickups staggered -
    the E/A closest to the bridge is paired with the D/G in the middle,
    and the E/A in the middle is paired with the D/G closest to the neck.

The 3TS one with the pickup at the bridge is a little twangier when that pup is soloed,
    but nowhere near as much as a J would be in that position.
    You can still tell it's a Mustang pickup too.

The black one with the D/G pickups placed way more towards the neck,
    and the A/E pickups place more towards the bridge,
    has really finely balanced timbre of all the strings.
    I really like both of them, and when I pick either one up and play it, I think it's my favorite. :laugh:

I might re-do the mounting plates. Not sure I'm satisfied with them, even though no one else will probably see them.
    I also was thinking of repainting the black one.
    But they're good for now, both play and sound great, and I'm very happy with them.
    A couple pics:

Both - Copy.JPG 3TS - Copy.JPG

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    GoesThump, halfwound121, MCF and 5 others like this.
  18. halfwound121

I put a black one on mine and I think it looks great.
    fullsizeoutput_15ea.

walking Bass, GotRoot?, MCF and 7 others like this.
  19. Mekana

Mekana Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2009

felis likes this.
  20. djett

djett

Jun 13, 2012
    Big Canoe, GA
    I agree; the black looks great! Is it a B/W/B? Where did you order yours from? Thanks for sharing

halfwound121 likes this.