1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I think the black looks good too.
    The sonic blue is a bit difficult to find a complimentary color without washing it out.
    I think the contrasting color of the black works better.

G-Dog likes this.
  2. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Thank you. I was pretty nervous starting it. It was just a crazy idea I had to try.

How are you doing with your Mustangs - did you end up keeping all three P/J's?

3. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I've been staring at this for like 10 minutes now. I wanna try out the black one.

Mekana, Duder and felis like this.
  4. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

BWB from PickGuardian.

5. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    I finally got around to shielding my jmj, and it made a huge difference. I didn't realize how noisy it was before I shielded it. Highly recommended for anybody with a Mustang Bass.

MCF, Lex P. and Bass Boy like this.
  6. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    :thumbsup:

Ha ha - I can't stop staring at them either.
    If I knew how to do the youtube thing, I'd put up some examples.
    I don't have a clue about that kind of stuff though.

About the black one - if I were doing it again, I wouldn't put the two G/D pickup halves
    quite so far from the E/A ones. Maybe 1/2 to 2/3 the distance they are now.

Yes - the strings all sound almost perfectly balanced, but there's very little high frequency
    content on the upper two strings - no zing or snarl.
    I had flats on it, and it sounded too dark to me.
    Put rounds on it, and it almost sounds like traditional pickup placement when using flats.

I didn't know what to expect from it. Edit: after playing it a bit more, I like it as it is.
    It's mellow, smooth, and and low key. I've got plenty of other stuff that does bright and snarly.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 1:32 PM
    Uncle K likes this.
  7. Mekana

Mekana Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Yes! They are keepers. But mostly hanging on the wall right now... my current band plays quite a few songs that require a 5 string. (Well, they are easier to play on a 5 string, lol. I use the low B string a lot.)

I love the two different pickup configurations you did! Double double Mustangs!

8. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    You could always try making one of the PJs a BEAD tuning. Then you have a mustang and the low B!

Mekana and G-Dog like this.
  9. Mekana

Mekana Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2009
    I am considering that! :)

10. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    My 3 main players are strung BEAD. My lesson learned is, get some really, very thick strings for short scale, or that B is gonna be really floppy.

Mekana likes this.
  11. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    I had an Ibanez Mikro 5 string for a while and the B wasn’t to bad a lighter touch was better and that’s on the 28.6 scale. It would probably be even better on the 30” Mustang. Ibanez also sells the 5string bass set for around $30 CAD on amazon.

Edit: the B string was a .130 gauge

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Mekana likes this.
  12. halfwound121

I got it from Pickguardian. It's BWB.

MCF likes this.
  13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nice trio!! All with tort!​

Mekana and SoulReflection like this.
  14. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Hi all

I hope everything is well.
    Odd question time. But I am glad to see the pickguard issue goes on even without me!
    I have a issue with another bass player who feels that my sound from my bass is being thoroughly affected because the silk wrapping on my flatwounds are over the saddles. They don't come anywhere near the nut. I do remember something being mentioned about the silk and the nut but I don't remember anything mentioned with the saddles. I did get into my Wayback machine and read earlier posts on this issue but nothing has been added since 2007 (I believe). It seemed to spark arguments as well. I feel a bit embarrassed as this question seems a bit “newby" as I re-read it. But I am somewhat new to flatwounds and since we NEVER argue or disagree in this thread I thought I would get your opinions on this subject.
    Thank you
    Bob

15. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Pics?

16. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Oh dopey me! I am not at home right now but I will have my daughter take them and I will post them as soon as she email's them to me. Thank you for the gentle reminder.
    Also they are Dunlop SS Flats.
    Bob (the brainless one)

SoulReflection likes this.
  17. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    No problem, Bob...just trying to help ;).

18. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    The help is thoroughly appreciated. I am back in DC with charity issues and dealing with,,,, well you know. ;{)
    I hope my response wasn't rude. No offense intended (unless you are wearing a uniform with stars on it). ;{) JK

Bob

SoulReflection likes this.
  19. halfwound121

I had one experience with a bass I bought from an assembler, and he mounted the bridge about 1” too close to the neck. I had to slide the saddles as far back as possible to intonate, which put the silks of the A and E past the saddles. Sounded terrible. These were flats btw. I ended up replacing the bridge with a MusicMan style so that I could mount it at a workable distance from the nut and cover the finish dent left by the old bridge.

MCF likes this.
  20. halfwound121

Just had to post a pic of my twins, MIM P/J special edition, and USA Performer. When I saw the special edition, I had to have it because of the maple FB. It's modded with Hipshot bridge and tuners, and Lace pups. Both sound great with both pickups on. I hate to say it, but with the upgrades I enjoy the MiM a little better than the US. My sonic blue is going on the block....can't justify 2 MIMs. fullsizeoutput_2296.

walking Bass, Florinda4, dmt and 9 others like this.