1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender or Squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brainiac, Dec 7, 2018.

1. brainiac

brainiac

Oct 4, 2005
    Whats the comparison between a Fender Standard bass and a Squier Vintage Modified Bass? Are they somewhat comparable in build and materials? Trying to understand if that model Squier is on a par with any Fender. Thank you.

cruachanaok@yahoo.com

ihaveaquestion likes this.
  2. As a general rule, as far as the materials used and the intended quality of construction, no currently produced Squier line is on par with any Fender line. Some individual Squier instruments turn out exceptionally well and will be better than the occasional below-average Fender, but that would be an exception. Normally the Fender Standard will be the better instrument. I don't know the exact differences between the models you mentioned - that can be found on retail websites. Basically Squiers are from the far east and Fender Standards are from Mexico.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Iron Lung, I'd ask when the last time you played a Squier was.

Honestly, the Fender Standards are as hit-or-miss as the Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe lines.
    Both can be great, and both can produce lemons.

Play as many basses as you can get your hands on, then decide.

4. Well yes, I had mentioned something to that effect in my post. I just think it's more helpful to give the rule along with the exception, rather than just the exception.

Les Fret and jackn1202 like this.
  5. The upper tier Squiers can be quite nice with cool features and/or colors. The entry level Fenders are a mild step up in quality. Now, I haven’t kept up, but Fender was making some nice Squiers in China while also offering a Fender seties made in China for about the same price or slightly more. In that case, the Squier was probably the better deal if both came out of the same factory.

Now Fender has their Player Series MIM - these basses look pretty nice but also come with $600+ price tags. Not sure if Fender still makes a cheaper line priced between the $300 Squiers and $600 Fenders.

But honestly, for msny of us here, a well set up $3-400 Squier bass would not hold us back in any way.

shodan, DJ Bebop and EdO. like this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Suggest get both Squier CV70P or 60J and Fender Player P or J . Keep the good one and return another one.

7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Higher end Squiers and low end Fenders are in the same ballpark as early Fenders - if you find one with a few years on it and the neck is straight, they can be very good instruments. New ones, you run the risk that the neck will twist. They come out of tge factory made really well - cnc machining is more accurate than anything made years ago - it’s just the stability of the wood in the necks that’s an issue nowadays.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    wmmj and solderfumes like this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the classic difference between the two comes in the form of my usual psa / warning regarding the trash quality neck plate screws on the VMs, not only are they made of metal cheese but are a much smaller gauge. as long as there's no problem, fine, but it's a point of concern and nutshells the issues.

G-Dog likes this.
  9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    From my experience, a Squier VM or CV bass today will probably be better than an early MIM Fender bass in terms of quality. In general (of course it varies with each instrument as you can get lemons as well as gems from each series), a Squier CV and a Fender MIM of around the same manufacture date are pretty similar in terms of quality, the VM is maybe a slight step below. Most recently I've owned a Squier VM Jazz fretless and also owned a MIM Jazz fretless at the same time so was able to compare both side by side. Only planned on keeping one fretless so had to pick one to keep. Believe it or not, I preferred the Squier VM in terms of feel and how it played (fretboard was ebanol as opposed to rosewood. a matter of personal preference for sure) but in terms of the sound (pickups/electronics), the Fender MIM was noticeably better. Of course a pickup upgrade would negate the difference for me.
    I don't particularly care what brand is on the headstock, for some it may make a difference, but I feel the quality difference between a higher end Squier and a standard MIM Fender does not necessarily justify the bump in price especially if you have or can obtain upgrade parts such as pickups and electronics for less. Squier basses today are of much higher quality than before making it a viable option or alternative to a Fender.

Bassamatic likes this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Don't forget the Squier Classic Vibe. The Inca Silver and Lake Placid Blue Jazz basses are still available and you can find the new Sea Foam Pearl Precision at Guitar Center.
    The Jazz models are getting harder and harder to find and the Precision is a limited edition.
    Top of the line for Squier for a price that can't be beat.
    92-F3-D259-FAB8-4-B99-B68-F-529-A887-B0746.

11. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Similar to differences between Lexus and Toyota.

Bob Clayton likes this.
  12. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Fender

13. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Squier

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Funniest post of the day!

15. My local mom and pop has the silver J bass that I’m trying not to keep an eye on lol.

jd56hawk likes this.
  16. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I wish they'd bring the Squier VM Mustang back. The VM Jaguar SS is a nice value in a short scale, but a CV or VM Mustang for $300 - $400 would be a nice alternative to the current Fender Mustang offerings.

sqmustang.

17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'm guessing you've already tried it.

18. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    If you want a giggable instrument and you’re on a tight budget, get a Squier. If you have more of a budget and want a giggable instrument, get a Fender. They’re both going to require a decent setup. But they’re both quite capable of being good players.

19. I really like the Lake Placid Blue Squier! Too bad I don't see any of these basses on the Sweetwater website. I'm ready to purchase a Squier bass soon with 0% financing for 48 months. Just wish one of those basses were an option.

20. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    As it was mentioned before - both can be made different. There can be a Squier that can sound better than some Fender, but mostly Fender shows the way and mostly gives you what you need.

DJ Bebop likes this.