1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Plus Deluxe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JIO, Jan 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I think it's funny because these are really high-end US made Fender basses (they were right below the FCS basses at that time) that are usually discounted since because of being active and more modern looking. (as in; not "retro") The Kubicki pre alone is worth the price of admission - great sounding/playing quality 22 fret basses.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    iceboxbass and Thundar like this.
  2. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    That is very cool - how could that sweet purple jazz v bass not be a hit??

I heard back from my friend who has a contact at Fender concerning the mystery purple plus basses. I also sent him your photos of the bass and the back cavity. He stated "that there was no known record of any of the plus series basses or guitars being sprayed (midnight purple) at any point of their perspective runs. He also said the cavity paint overspray on the cavity ledge didn't look like anything that Fender was doing at that time(I guess meaning the cavity ledge should of been masked?). He also questioned the threaded barrels that the cavity cover screws thread into saying they didn't look right. He offered a scan of a dealers catalog dated January 1994(printed in late 93) that showed the only colors they used on plus series basses over their short run. Funny, he also couldn't guarantee 100% that something like that didn't sneak out of the Fender factory at some point......it was almost three decades ago. He also stated that judging by the pictures, the paint job overall looked very well done! The mystery continues.....enjoy that bass!
    fender catalog 001. [/QUOTE]
    Hey G-Man60...I forgot to thank you for this information that you'd posted back in May and the research that you did thru your friend who has a contact at Fender. I especially like the photo of the Jazz V Plus cost, Standard equip and color options. Quite something how this bass is holding close to its original value! Even after almost 3 decades. In another club thread, Spector, we are finding out all the time about one offs that were made per endorsing artists requests, that make us scratch our heads. So not all that uncommon with bass/guitar manufacturers. Maybe my Metallic purple is one of those special request per an endorsing artist or it could've been a good quality refinish...in any direction it which it might be, I'm sure enjoying its beauty and playing it. Thanks again!:)

SirMjac28 likes this.
  3. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Man that has a gorgeous finish!:woot:drool Midnight Blue?

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Is there such a thing as owning too many of these Plus series basses? Though I'm totally happy with my Metallic Purple Jazz V+ I've been looking at another in Midnight Winedrool...is this a sickness:roflmao::help:

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. Bluesman999

Bluesman999

Jun 19, 2018
    Yeahh. Maybe its a little PS involved, but its a nice pic and a really good bass. Its deffinitly one of the most allround bases that i own( totally 12).

iceboxbass likes this.
  6. Bluesman999

Bluesman999

Jun 19, 2018
    But i think the colour is Blue Pearl

iceboxbass likes this.
  7. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    How many of the 12 are Plus series?

8. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Hey all, here's a question that I posted in the Fender Jazz Bass Club thread that I wonder if you all have discovered between your Plus series and other Fender Jazz model basses.

Interesting/puzzling differences that I found out between two of my Fender American Jazz basses...This last week while going thru my upcoming gig set list I was switching back and forth between my 90 Fender American Jazz V Plus and recently acquired 98 American Standard Jazz V, seeing which one that I wanted to use for the gig. I noticed a HUGE volume difference between the two.
    When playing my 98 Standard V I set my amp volume at 8-9:00 position with plentiful loudness...when I played my 90 Jazz V+ switched to passive mode, as it has the 9V active Kubicki preamp I had to turn up the amp volume to the 12:00 position in order to get the same volume level as my 98 Standard V. Is there that much difference between the pickup brands that would make that much of a volume difference? My 90 Jazz V+ have the Lace Electronics pickups, where my 98 Standard V have the standard Fender pickups I believe best to my knowledge, I hadn't taken them out to look at the serial#.
    What else would cause such a huge difference in the volume level? Now if I select one of the active modes on the 90 Jazz V+ Active Kubicki preamp then I turn my amps volume level down to 8-9:00 position. My past experiences with all passive basses had been I'd have to turn the volume level way up on my amp, like with my 90 Jazz V+. What's everyone's take on the volume level differences? Thank you. :)

SirMjac28 likes this.
  9. Bluesman999

Bluesman999

Jun 19, 2018
    Unfortunatelly only one The other bases i have are : Fender precision OW-75,Squire jazz JV-83, Gibson SG-z - 00,Sandberg JM 4-07,Daion Savage - 83 Daion Performer bass - 83, MARUSZCZYK Jake "el commandante "-07,Epiphone T-bird PRO IV,, Sigma Rickenbacker copy - 74.

iceboxbass likes this.
  10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Active preamps can have different output. The Kubicki passive mode is much less output than it's 2 active modes. Switching from passive to active is a big jump and the Factor manual mentions it as being something not to do w/o lowering V first or it could harm the speakers. On the Kubicki pre, I only use the 2 active settings to keep my amp volume lower. A G&L L-2000 (9v) by comparison has less difference in output from passive to active. And a Audere JZ3 (9v) pre with no passive option has a very high output. Amps generally have inputs for passive and active as well, which are calibrated to each. I have a 600w Mesa amp and have rehearsal volume at 9:00 and live a bit higher (10:00) Controls on the bass are V near or at full (on one or the other pu or both) and T to taste. These are passive input settings.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  11. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I understand the vol differences between active & passive on the Kubicki preamp alright but what I was trying to understand is why is my 98 American Standard V which is an all passive jazz bass uses less amp vol power than my 90 Jazz V+ in passive mode? Why shouldn't they be the same? Perhaps the Kubicki pre causes interference in the passive mode that cause the user to push more power from their bass amp? My main bass amp is a Genzler Magellan 800, it has a Pad button for active preamp basses, where as my Ampeg B-15T has two inputs jacks, one for passive basses, one for active preamp basses. Thank you JIO:)

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Hey G-Man60...I forgot to thank you for this information that you'd posted back in May and the research that you did thru your friend who has a contact at Fender. I especially like the photo of the Jazz V Plus cost, Standard equip and color options. Quite something how this bass is holding close to its original value! Even after almost 3 decades. In another club thread, Spector, we are finding out all the time about one offs that were made per endorsing artists requests, that make us scratch our heads. So not all that uncommon with bass/guitar manufacturers. Maybe my Metallic purple is one of those special request per an endorsing artist or it could've been a good quality refinish...in any direction it which it might be, I'm sure enjoying its beauty and playing it. Thanks again!:)[/QUOTE]

These guitars would be $2,047.79 in todays money not bad for the quality you get. I turnded my baby into a closet queen I love this bass too much to even play it :)

iceboxbass and JIO like this.
  13. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Mostly above my pay grade but another aspect to consider is low-impedance pu's. Active EMG systems are low-impedance and are not as loud as other 9v pre's in active mode at the same level. Pre's can vary - but passive settings step aside and dump the signal to the pu's - which can vary. This is an "educated guess". (as in, disclaimer) There are plenty of tech-geniuses lurking who could give a more definitive answer.

iceboxbass and SirMjac28 like this.
  14. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    You crack me up man! :laugh:

SirMjac28 likes this.
  15. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan

These guitars would be $2,047.79 in todays money not bad for the quality you get. I turnded my baby into a closet queen I love this bass too much to even play it :)[/QUOTE]
    Awww:jawdrop: That's too bad...They're made to be played. But I understand...these were only made for a short time period and should become a collector bass some day. I've only gigged mine out once so far but I gig in a pretty safe environment. I usually rotate my basses. I was looking at buying a midnight wine Jazz V+ but I waited too long and it's gone:sorry: It was in excellent condition too!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    SirMjac28 likes this.
  16. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    A gallant try and feasible explanation JIO:thumbsup: I figure it's the impedance difference between the Lace vs Fender pickups. All curiosity put aside I played the Dickins out of my Jazz V+ last night and never get tired of the beautiful tone it produces.:bassist: :)

SirMjac28 and JIO like this.
  17. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I found the midnight wine 1990 Jazz V+ that I was looking at buying...they have it listed as Candy Apple Red...somebody modded with a white PG...sad fitting PG at that looking at the lower right edge where it comes closer to the body edge...also look at the shoulder strap post on upper horn...looks like it was relocated...listed in Great condition and comes with a gig bag $899.99...Hmmm, Its been listed for around a month+ so far...wish the would've mounted PG using double sided sticky tape instead of screws...Ruined the originality.

IMG_1135.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  18. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Nice colour - The pg although not original and a bit off from a traditional J pg fit, is not terrible and only "one-of-us" would notice it at all. There are a few makers who have done similar designs with no control plate (Exotic, Modulus, and others I can't recall the brand) so it's not so strange. As a fan of pg's, I don't have a problem with it but I know some people would rather not have a pg. Plus, the finish is dark enough that pg screw holes would barely be noticed if the pg was removed. And finally - I doubt the upper horn peg was repositioned - it looks like the usual spot where Fender puts it.

On originality... it's always nice when we can find a used bass w/o mods - but it is a tool, an instrument meant to be played and it's not damaged, just altered in a very minimal superficial way. (nine tiny holes) Lucky for those who like these early 90's basses - they are not really considered "vintage collectable" and their price reflects that as they still can be had for reasonable money. (usually under $1K) If the goal is collecting, then it may not be for you.

iceboxbass and SirMjac28 like this.
  19. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I too like PGs, IMHO I think it dresses up a bass and just about everyone expects to see a pg on a Fender bass. I do like the midnight wine color...I keep asking myself, do I reeeeally need another Jazz V+ right now as I have a beautiful one that just sounds amazing? How often would I play it? Wouldn't I prefer to have a different model Fender than what I already have? I'd really like to find a Fender Jazz 5 string fretless lineless. So maybe I'll just hold off buying this one and wait for that lineless fretless to come around. If anyone's interested in the midnight wine Fender Jazz V+ it's listed on GC used bass page.

20. Jvdben1

Jvdben1 Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    I am joining the club folks, introducing the newest addition to my family. Please welcome an original condition mint 1990 Jazz Bass Plus in natural wood. (Serial NO00072) I am looking forward to speaking with other bass enthusiasts about these tremendous instruments. I have only been playing about a year and had this guitar recommended to me by a friend, I found it 15 minutes away from where I live from another member, great guy as well. I posted a few pictures for your comments. Anyone with a manual, please let me know as I would love to have a copy. I picked this up and knew my decision was a good one. I’m a 56 year old with a little arthritis in my hands, but I feel pretty nimble around this neck for sure. Any input or help is welcomed.
    Thanks to all!
    Joe 021A481E-AB12-4216-B362-5A3C3936D2B7. 692BCD5F-1536-4E28-BF5A-2B955F85E853. E704D185-4173-4C64-A0BF-EF93AFBC379D. 4F5D8B95-AAD1-4051-9D25-E2BE7D8E877A. B3DE7776-95F3-456B-AF3A-0FB0B4557D66. A8B673EF-B4A6-4C4A-BC3A-5D70973C80EA. ECF532DA-F2A6-4493-91F1-98B4A4F00C54. 80A80D9C-B3C9-4638-84D3-1B44F18705C8.