1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Plus Deluxe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JIO, Jan 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Welcome Joe - to bass playing, to tb, and to this club! The Jazz Plus is a very nice instrument in many ways and as time evolved they are under-rated. The 80's brought "bass" into the spotlight with Punk and New Wave music featuring 'up-front' bass presence, aided by the advent of active electronics eventually developing in the "modern" sound of bass. Ned Steinberger and Phil Kubicki were the two biggest proponents of that development - pushing the design innovation envelope. Fender had just created the Fender Custom Shop and their re-association with Phil Kubicki lead to the creation of the bass you own. 22 frets, a compact redefinition of a classic J, high-end Schaller hardware and the Kubicki 9v pre resulted in a Jazz bass like no other. It was the 1st "boutique" Jazz bass.

Not aware of a manual, although one may exist. Just be sure to un-plug when not using, as leaving it plugged in will drain the battery even in the "off" switch position. (and always plug into the active input if your amp has active/passive ports. Otherwise - enjoy your new bass!

2. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Take a look at this. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

iceboxbass and JIO like this.
  3. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Oh yes, I have the Factor manual having owned a few - other than overall design/drop D capo - the main difference is the Kubicki Ex-Factor has an 18v pre (off-on, active boost, active, passive, passive) and the Fender/Kubicki, Jazz Plus has a 9v pre (on-off, active boost, active, passive).

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's a beauty Joe congrats again on your new addition.

iceboxbass and JIO like this.
  5. Jvdben1

Jvdben1 Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Thanks to all of you for the help, it’s greatly appreciated!

iceboxbass likes this.
  6. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    Boston
    FIFY :)

7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    sorry, what does FIFY represent?

iceboxbass likes this.
  8. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Congratulations! Wow low serial#! Great find:thumbsup: I've owned a metallic purple 5 string model for a couple of months now and absolutely love playing it. I hope you'll enjoy playing yours. :)

9. tboomer

tboomer

Nov 10, 2017
    Just got done playing mine! SN#000281

10. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Photo please? :D

Another low serial#:cool:

11. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I was reading thru the Kubicki owners Manuel back a couple of days ago and had seen something interesting that caught my eyes about the preamp. There's a mids frequency boost dial screw built into the preamp that you can either dial down/up the mids frequency. Just pull the electronics cavity cover plate and you'll see a black dial that takes a Phillips screwdriver about mid point on the preamp. Turns really super easy so don't force it beyond its stopping points. Makes a very nice significance in the mids. FWIW

12. Jvdben1

Mar 1, 2018
    Could you please PM a copy? Thanks so much!
    Joe

13. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    Boston
    Be more than happy to. What Now exactly are you referring to?

14. Jvdben1

Mar 1, 2018
    I’m sorry, I am looking for the manual for a Fender Jazz Bass plus, I own the 1990 that was just purchased on TB.
    Thanks
    Joe

15. Colonel Barnes

Colonel Barnes Supporting Member

May 4, 2008
    Pacifica, CA
    Just do a search with the acronym. I do it all the time because I'm old. 'Fixed It For You.' I'm not sure what he fixed, tho' . . .

Urban Dictionary: FIFY

16. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    As far as I know, that mid-frequency dial is only on the 9v FCS Kubicki pre.

iceboxbass likes this.
  17. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    iceboxbass and SirMjac28 like this.
  18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    These are some of the best tuners ever made I'm surprized Fender still doesn't use them unless they're cost prohibitive? Thanks for the post you always find the good stuff.

Old P Bass Guy, JIO and iceboxbass like this.
  19. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    If only these had the black backs...I know...I'm a hard customer to please. ;) :D

SirMjac28 likes this.
  20. iceboxbass

Feb 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Just an update...I did buy a set of 5 small clover tuners from eBay seller bonnie52 last week. After several msg's back & forth she listed a 5 set of vintage tuners for only $15 more. Well worth it! The tuners are arriving by the 9th. Can't wait to get the swapped out!:hyper: Then it'll look & be period correct. I know a lot of guys that'll swap out for HipShot ultralights to shave off more weight but I prefer the looks of the mini clovers. Weight saved is usually minimal anyways, 1/4-1/2#...So I'll have 3 spare mini clover tuners after the swap. I'll sell the 2 brand new large clover tuners if anyone's interested.

SirMjac28 and JIO like this.