1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision Bass Player or (MIM) Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mondo2501, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Fender Player Precision Bass (2018-present)

2. Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (2016-2017)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mondo2501

mondo2501

Jul 28, 2018
    Philippines
    Hi Folks -

Need help in making a choice. I found a store who still has one of the old Fender Standard MIM Precision Basses (Sunburst w/Rosewood) and I'm trying to decide whether I'd get that over the new Player Precision (Sunburst w/Pau Ferro). Both sound great, but unfortunately the two basses belong to two different stores so I don't have a chance to A-B them side by side. I'm curious whether the pick ups have any difference, as well has how much the PF fingerboard impacts the overall sound. If anyone has experience owning/playing/comparing both, that would be highly appreciated. I created a poll, if you were to choose which one would you get? Thanks in advance!

2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    I prefer the newer pick-ups they seems to have more mid-range

SwitchGear and mondo2501 like this.
  3. I'd buy a used standard, and put a player J neck on it :cool: (very seriously considering this plan for my next bass!)

But to try and seriously answer you, yes the players sound pretty darn great as is.

bass hed and mondo2501 like this.
  4. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

I voted the MIM Standard. You could probably talk the seller down since they're taking up rack space and then save a little more for a used Player! Two P basses!

Uncle Hanky, bass hed and mondo2501 like this.
  5. mondo2501

mondo2501

Jul 28, 2018
    Philippines
    I like the way you think sir! lol

But apart from it's cheaper, any other reason why I should consider the MIM Standard over the Player, sonically?

6. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Probably can’t wrong with either. If they both sound good. I’d go with the one that plays / feels better.
    Maybe record a little of both with your phone or something quick & easy and then you can listen back ??

I’d say it really comes down to which one feels best in your hands. They’re hardware / pickup differences are small and more different than neccesarily “better” than the other. And pickups are easily swapped on a P bass especially if you decide that’s a rabbit hole you want to go down.

Combat Wombat and dmt like this.
  7. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

None I can think of. Fender will say the Player Series has upgraded this and that but does that mean they were producing garbage a year prior? No. They have to say the new model is new and improved but, at its core, it is as good as it’s predecessor. The difference is in the eye of the beholder.

You can’t A/B them, so give them an identical, thorough run-through and decide what pleased you more. Maybe take notes as you go or immediately after in case you can’t recall all details.

8. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    See if you can put them through the same amp at each store so you’re not comparing apples to oranges. Factor in a pickup upgrade into the standard price. Then it comes down to feel and colour and which store has better service, return policy, warranty etc.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Been own Player P in few weeks then sold it , I suggest Squier CV70P.

Neck profile and build quailty are pretty close, but the fret work are better on CV70P and pickup sound better alive.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  10. I basically change pickups in every bass I buy anyway so I said MIM. I have one that I preferred over my MIA, which I sold. Put Geezers in it and it is a great bass!!!!

11. Value & resale goes to the standard precision

12. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I own both, I like my MIM Standard more. That could be because I put a set of EMG GZR’s in it and the neck is so comfortable to play. The pickups in my Player P are good too, I just like the overall sound and feel of my Standard more.

mondo2501 likes this.
  13. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I'd take rosewood over Pau Ferro any day of the week.

Combat Wombat and corndog like this.
  14. When assessing, bear in mind that the strings on the standard might be dead as a doorknob if it’s been hanging on the wall for years. I have no experience with the newer model but hearsay is that they did make some improvements, particularly with the pickups. PF is reckoned to be a little brighter sounding than RW and “bridges the gap” between RW and maple in tone. If you want old school flatwound motown tone the rosewood model is probably the better choice.

15. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    The MIM Standard will have ceramic magnet pups, and the Player Series will have alnico …. you will see some folk prefer the alnico, because that is what is used in the MIA Fenders, but there is not a thing wrong with the ceramic magnet pups if they hit your switch … there is no reason to assume you immediately need a pup change in the MIM Standard, there are more than a few folk out there playing MIM Standards completely stock and are as happy with them as can be … as long as you stay post '08 with the MIM Standards, consistency will be a little better from bass to bass, and have the newer headstock logo …

I actually went through several sets of pups in a project Jazz with flats, and ended up settling on a set of 58294/5 ceramic magnet pups out of a 2010 MIM Standard in the end … those would be the same pups in the MIM Standard you are considering …

About the only other thing to consider between your two (besides which speaks to you), would be weight and physical appeal … IF the money is of major importance, I wouldn't be buying either new … lots of used floating around of the MIM Standards, and I am starting to see more and more of the Player Series as well …

JMHO, as always …

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    mondo2501 likes this.
  16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    There is nothing inherently wrong with the MIM pickups, but I never liked the pickups in any of the MIM's I have owned (3 Jazz, 2 Precisions). They weren't bad, just missing something for me. I replaced all of them with Alnico's and was much happier. Perhaps more a matter of taste than anything else.

Kikegg and dmt like this.
  17. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Yup, I agree... personal and situational choice ;)

The bass I mentioned in my post was strung with a VERY old set of Dean Markley flats, I loved the feel and tension of the strings, but the ceramic pups just brought that particular set to life over any of the alnico's I tried in that application …

The only MIM Standard pups I never really cared for, were the same size #36437 imports from Cort in the early Standard J's from the '90's … but then, you will see posts of users that love them, so there you go … too subjective to decide for someone else ;)

18. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    Alan, I just did the left-handed version of this. Picked up a lefty Player body from Stratosphere and actually bought a whole Player Jazz (great holiday sale) because I wanted a maple board which Fender doesn’t sell separately. Need to do a NBD on this one. Really happy with the Player pickups on the P-bass!

19. Nice! Yeah, post those pics! I thought about going all-player as well.

20. mondo2501

mondo2501

Jul 28, 2018
    Philippines
    The pick ups are my biggest concern, but the general consensus sounds in favor of the Player.