Fender Rumble 150 vs Peavey TNT 150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Punch21, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Punch21

Punch21

Nov 8, 2019
    I'm soon going to buy my first amp, and I don't know which one will it be, I rly like the TNT bcs of the EQ but I heard it has some humming problems, and then the Rumble sounds great as well, sadly I can't test them, I've seen lots of demos on the internet but it's still not like in real life, I don't even know how loud 150 watts is, I heard only a 50 watts guitar amp and that was loud, so I don't really know what im dealing with...

2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Those are pretty solid, evenly matched choices. The Fender might give you more of a “vintage flavor,” where the Peavey might sound a little cleaner.

As far as volume, what are your goals? That should be pretty loud for a small band, so long as your drummer behaves themselves ;)

Punch21 likes this.
  3. Punch21

Punch21

Nov 8, 2019
    A small garage metal band I would say, I just wanna hear myself :D because, in many tracks the bass is almost at the same volume as the guitars, also slaps, lots of slapping. So I need a clear, warm, heavy tone

4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    How much are the amps in question? How hard can you stretch your budget?
    Where are you located?

The 150 might cut it, but the safe bet For metal would be 410 and a 350-500w head. Get a heavy old cabinet, and you can probably find that set up for <$500

Punch21 likes this.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The Peavey is older and has no tweeter (IIRC) and it weighs a ton. 150w can go a long way. I gigged a TNT130 (130w) for years all around NYC. Was pretty loud. Got asked to turn down many times. Also depends on how loud your band is whether it can keep up.

SwitchGear and Punch21 like this.
  6. DeepFriedBass

DeepFriedBass

Nov 21, 2019
    Are talking about a new rumble or an older generation?

I used a 500w bass head to match a metal drummer and a 50w tube guitar head.

Punch21 likes this.
  7. Punch21

Punch21

Nov 8, 2019
    An older generation, I would say 2000-2008

8. DeepFriedBass

DeepFriedBass

Nov 21, 2019
    The first solid state rumbles (2nd gen black with metal screen) arent very good, I'd recommend the TNT over that one.

I don't know Jack about amps, but I did own one of those rumbles

9. Punch21

Punch21

Nov 8, 2019
    Also I found a Fender Rumble v3 100, is that any better than the tnt or the 150 rumble ?

10. I have a TNT 150 that I use at our rehearsal space and some shows. That thing is louder than loud and I play in a heavy alt rock band. I rarely have to set the volume anywhere close to half. It's super clean and the eq is awesome. The only draw back is that it weighs close to 100 pounds. If you have one with hum there is a easy fix it's usually just the ground connection to the chassis and all you do is loosen and tighten the nut that is connected to the ground/circuit board. I'll post a pic when I find it. Great amp though.

Punch21 likes this.
  11. Here's a link to the hum fix on the TNT that I posted in another thread. It worked for me.

The Combo Club

Punch21 likes this.
  12. Punch21

Punch21

Nov 8, 2019
    Well thanks everyone, I will test the Fender than the TNT and will decide, thank u again!

BlacknWhite likes this.
  13. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Desert, Colorado
    Always best to trust your ears and not all us keyboard heroes!

Virwill7 and Punch21 like this.
  14. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    I have an ancient TKO with a 15" speaker and its stupid loud. Lots of mids with a great midrange growl. Worked great in a metal band I was playing with last year. Mines only 80w RMS, which is 200w peak to peak or something. Those TNT's are supposed to be louder, so who knows. Take some time to fiddle with the EQ though.