1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble 500 or Ampeg BA-210 V2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Leonsuper, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Leonsuper

Leonsuper

Sep 10, 2019
    Hi!

I have a Yamaha RBX374 bass and a small amp. I usually play guitar, but I think it's time to upgrade my bass amp. I made lots of google searches and I'm really undecided. Most of the threads I found where kinda old, so I'm looking for current opinions. I hope you can help me.

My main options at this moment are the Fender Rumble 500 and the Ampeg BA-210 V2.

I tried the Rumble at a store and I didn't dislike it, but it didn't impress me. Maybe I need some practice messing with the settings. Every knob does something and I liked the versatility, but the low end sounded somewhat muddy. The bass player in my band has this amp and it usually sounds good, so maybe it was my fault.

The Ampeg is heavier, but cheaper. I'm not finding a store that sells it near me, so if I buy it I'll have to order it without trying. From the videos I saw I think it sounds good. I read some people complaining about fan noise and other problems, should I be worried about that?

What's your favorite of these two? If you have other suggestions in the same price range I'm all ears. Markbass amps are probably out of the question because I think their design is ugly.

Thank you for your attention!

2. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    Fender rumble 500 would be my choice

I think ampeg had some quality control issues at one stage , rattles etc

From that perspective and in context of buying before you try, fender rumble 500 would be lower risk

But that’s just my sense of it. Others will no doubt have their own experience

I recently bought the rumble 200

It took me ages to do it and I anguished over all sorts of stuff

But now having it, it is great

It’s at its price point and we get what we pay for

But in terms of value for money and based on now owning it and using it is quite impressive for what it is designed to do and does

I picked the 200 over the 500 because the speaker has a good review

The 500 obviously has more power and if it is 2 tens that you want, then I imagine the rumble wouldn’t be a bad choice

Ross

3. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    Ps
    I use to go for mark bass and still have it, but I am not sold on Mark bass

Clearly it’s good gear, but it just doesn’t do it for me

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I bought a Rumble 500 head and cabs as a cheap backup to my main rig. I have no problems gigging it.

5. Leonsuper

Leonsuper

Sep 10, 2019
    Yeah...that's true. From what I read if I buy the Ampeg and I'm unlucky I may end up with a faulty amp. I guess those problems are rare, though.

BlueP likes this.
  6. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Have you checked out some of the GK combos as well?

7. Leonsuper

Leonsuper

Sep 10, 2019
    The shops I'm considering and where I can get better deals in the amps i mentioned don't sell GK amps, unfortunately.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There was a batch of BA110's and 108's in 2011 that had rattle problems. Haven't heard of the newer versions having rattle problems.

9. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Good choices with either. You owe it to yourself to play through both if possible, but taking one home will finalize your decision the best way I know. Find a place that either demos an Ampeg or allows returns if you have to order it, or shop online with the idea of not trashing the box until you're sure its the keeper.

They both have their advantages depending on the music you're playing. To my ears, the Rumble is a great all-around sound provided you can dial in what you're ears are happy with. Not everyone has and the term muddy has been brought up, especially with the 15" speaker. Reliability is pretty darn good though and the hauling weight a bonus as well.

The Ampeg is loud, lacking the muddy tone mentioned above, and rocks hard. The difference in power is negligible; they both will get you where you have to go and you can add an extension speaker to either one for added volume. When the V2s came out, like with all new amps, there were some gremlins (my own 210 v2 rattled), but I currently have a BA108 v2 and it's been flawless. With Yamaha taking over the reins the hope is quality control will be even better. I personally wouldn't worry about either combo.

Again, trying out both is the best way to decide. Both offer a lot of setting combinations, but there's a definite tonal difference between them. Find the one that best fits your style and enjoy. Then, post a pic and request a membership number to the Combo Club, here on TB, and you'll really have something to tell the grandkids later on.

Good hunting!

Leonsuper likes this.
  10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I own a Yamaha RBX374 in past, one of the aggressive and huge bass tone bass guitar.

I never try it with rumble or Ampeg BA, but I play with Marshall MB450H + 410cab. Tone are absolutely too big too thick.

I suggest you try the Hartke HD500/210 , because I found the new trbx 305 sound great on it.

Hopehelp

11. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    Hi Jimmy

For me, it’s things like that affect me. I was looking at ampeg before I settled on the fender but there appeared to be several reviews pointing to quality issues.

I think too that the op was describing buying before trying. As players we fork out a lot of cash when we buy gear and manufacturers that don’t respect that and rely on their brand name alone, just don’t do it for me any more

Like, who as a bass player wants the risks of rattles ... and even if they are fixed later there aren’t a lot of subsequent reviews singing their praises

It is also hard to know how long stock has been on the shelf.

I also then saw ampeg has been taken over by Yamaha (if my memory is correct)

So each to their own but the fender has it for me, based on the op choice and situation.

Leonsuper and Super Bass like this.
  12. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I have the Rumble 500C. Loud, light, and flexible. Small to medium gig I use it stand alone. I add a 1x15 with it for larger rooms. Nothing wrong with the Ampeg. Plenty loud but different in tone.

bhendrix likes this.
  13. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    As the very happy user of a Fender Rumble 100 and a Fender Rumble 500 head with Rumble 112 cab (all v3 series), I'm a big believer and think Fender scored big with this version of the Rumble family. I use them with both upright and EBG and happen to think that they're about the best value out there.

Are they perfect? No. I would love to be able to add an extension speaker to the Rumble 100 and to have pre/post settings on both of my Rumbles, but those features are missing.

I haven't used the Ampeg, so can't comment on that.

But the other thing we all need to remember is that most of today's amps are capable of dialing in almost the exact sound we're looking for -- IF we have the patience and the time to adjust the settings to the room. One size doesn't fit all when it comes to amps, and it took me a while to find a pleasing combination of Gain, Volume, and EQ for each instrument. I now regret getting rid of some perfectly good amps just because I lacked the knowledge and the patience to learn how to use them correctly. But my Rumbles are definitely keepers.

iagtrplyr and Leonsuper like this.
  14. I tried an Ampeg BA210 a couple years ago and was very disappointed with it. It was not well made, the controls would constantly shift due to vibration, it didn't cut through the mix. I returned it and got a GK combo. Never looked back. You can get a nice used GK MB115 for about $350 on GC used gear site. Definitely worth a look. :D

Kipp Harrington likes this.
  15. Leonsuper

Leonsuper

Sep 10, 2019
    Yeah, when I tried the Rumble I thought it was very flexible for playing with diferent tones and sounds. Maybe it will be a safer bet than the Ampeg, given that I probably won't have a chance to try that one, unfortunately.

bhendrix likes this.
  16. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    I have a BA 108 v2 and a Rumble 500. I love my little Ampeg but when I tried its big brother in store, it felt a bit flimsy. Knobs seemed to move too freely. It may just have been the fact that it was a display model that I know had been in store for months. There was a lot of boom from the space I was playing in with basses hanging all around, so it wasn't the perfect way to test. When I tried the Rumble it sounded tighter and seemed more versatile but I was in a different store. I still love the Ampeg sound but my Rumble continues to surprise me as I'm discovering new settings and sounds all the time. I would be happy with either on sound alone but I'm happy I bought the Rumble.

17. For reliability, weight, volume, and price I do not believe it is possible to do better than the Fender Rumble 500 combo. Plenty of volume for most shows and you can add one of their outstanding value extension cabs for the other shows. As far as the tone, I currently use a VT character bass deluxe pedal in front of mine and I absolutely love it. IMO I could put that pedal in front of just about any amp and find a tone I like. So, to make a long story short, get the Rumble 500. If you don't love the tone, there are a ton of pedals you could use to fix it.

bhendrix, BEADG63, HalfStep and 2 others like this.
  18. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    I'm in the Rumble camp. I think I'd only step up from here to Mesa gear at this point. My 500 is very responsive to different basses, the gain level, and the EQ. The buttons also make huge changes but to be honest I don't like them. Bright is noisey, contour takes out the precious mids, and vintage is muddy.

As for Ampegs, I just tried a BA108v2 about a month ago that was brand new, sounded great, and rattled so bad I was afraid the staff were going to blame me for breaking it. Over the years half of all the Ampeg amps I've tried (and this is still the case to this day) we're outright broken or needing repair.

I love the sound an of an SVT and even the PF and BA amps have some good tones but I just can't get past the fact that they seem fragile, under-engineered, and it's work finding a working one.

Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll find a tone you like as sonically they both provide a vintage-style tone. The Ampeg will just weigh more at best and be a problem child at worst but it will save you a bit of money.

Leonsuper likes this.
  19. Leonsuper

Leonsuper

Sep 10, 2019
    I've been thinking about this for the last few days so I'll try to decide today. For now I'm more inclined to buy the Rumble, it's a safe option.

20. zmebass76

zmebass76 Makin' bass faces since '92... Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    I have a Rumble 500 combo and have used it for quite a few medium-sized country/western gigs and it has performed flawlessly. I used a Mesa 2x10 and a Mesa 4x10 cab for extension (on separate occasions for each, of course) and they added volume and thickness. I'd recommend the Rumble, but as a side note, a local seller is offering me an Ampeg BA210 v2 used, in mint condition, for $180, so I may jump on that because the price is so good. I'll let you know if I get it, and what I think of the amp if I do get it.

Leonsuper likes this.