1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble 500 or Ampeg BA-210 V2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Leonsuper, Sep 10, 2019.

1. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    I have the Fender Rumble 500 combo w/1x15 ext cab. I'm happy with it...

2. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I bought the Rumble 200 and liked it so much that I sold my PF800 and bought a Rumble 500 head and a new Rumble 115 (I first got the Rumble 210 cab but returned it in favor of the 115 cab). I am very happy!

BobDeRosa, BlueP and Linnin like this.
  3. Leonsuper

Leonsuper

Sep 10, 2019
    That's a great deal!

4. MRlowend

MRlowend Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2015
    South East, Missouri
    I've had both the Rumble and the BA but I sold the Rumble fairly quick. The tone at the time wasn't what I was looking for in an amp. There was nothing wrong with it per say, and I admit I may not have given it enough of my time dialing it in.

I bought the Ampeg BA v2 a couple years ago, the controls are straight forward, which I like and I've been very happy with it. But, I will also admit when I first brought it home it rattled slightly, something that it didn't do in the store. However, it was a quick fix by taking the grill off and looking at the problem, there's not a whole lot of Velcro holding the grill in place so I added more.. haven't had an issue since.

I use the Ampeg for bedroom practice, and I've used it when asked to fill-in for a Praise and Worship service with no in-house bass amp. The amp filled the room of the church with no issues, plenty of headroom to spare. It's a whole lot easier carrying around the BA than my SVT, or V4B for small to medium size rooms.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Leonsuper likes this.
  5. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    Hi!

Fender Rumble500 is honestly a great combo lightweight amp that fairs very well in mixes, cuts through nicely but doesn't tend to produce overly harsh sound.

OTOH the Ampeg BA series are cool also but they aren't what I would call the "classic" Ampeg tone. More of a compromise although honestly it is not a bad amp. At least to my ears, YMMV.

I have gigged the Rumble500 extensively and if I were offered one I wouldn't refuse it. Doesn't really sound like that classic Fender vibe either but it does the job well.

As you figured out, the Rumble500 can sound muddy in the lows and this is mainly because of obvious low mid bump voicing probably centered around 200Hz which are the most problematic frequencies for muddying up or clearing your bass sound.

That is in venues with bad acoustics. Outside, with zero obstruction, the Rumble500 sounds really nice and warm. The Ampeg BA in comparison would sound a bit more sterile, although with that nice Ampeg grind and sweet high end extension.

Two different flavors, I wouldn't mind either. In fact, I would probably want to own both at one point.
    An even better solution for Ampeg combos would be the B100R or B200R which is simply put one of the best combos out there.

If you are buying Rumble500 new, please do check the flohmarkts, you might actually stumble upon a used Fender Stage800 which I haven't personally tried but honestly might offer a lot (at least by judging from certain presentational videos). Should be priced similar to the brand new Rumble500 if you find one.

Leonsuper likes this.
  6. For whatever reason, I think the Rumble 15" speakers (inc. the 200 combo) are more successful than their 10" speakers (inc. the 500 combo). I've always been able to get a better tone out of the 15s/200, for my liking.

The Ampeg is a fine choice if you like the tone. If you want real crystal clear clarity, try the GK MB combo series.

7. Bagusys

Bagusys

Sep 5, 2012
    Rumble!
    I used Ampeg for the longest time. Never really cut through the mix. Switched to a Rumble and Hartke and sound like a beast now. I had the BA as well. I like it as a practice amp, but not by itself, again still doesn’t cut through. I combo that with a PF350 through 2 cabs.

My main use for the BA anymore is as a drum monitor when I build stages ‍♂️‍♂️‍♂️

Leonsuper likes this.
  8. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    I had really good luck with the ampeg ba210v2. I loved it. I used it at practices instead of lugging my big cabinets around. Everyone in the band commented on how good it sounded.

Leonsuper likes this.
  9. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I have Rumble 100 and 40 and I set low abt 11am left of noon, and 1pm for mid and high, the cab design seems to add a nice low end boost. I also have an Ampeg 110vII, and it blows away the Fenders in clarity, volume and quality of electronics like headphone out. The tilt makes it a perfect monitor amp. I love the Fender Rumbles though, they have a nice sound and are so light weight they get used more often, esp. when stairs are involved.

10. I have a the Rumble 500 head, and it can sound muddy in some rooms, in which case rolling off the lows and pushing the low-mids will make the bottom end more focused.

Yonni, AstroSonic and Leonsuper like this.
  11. Hey Leonsuper... I own both an Ampeg BA210v3 and a Rumble 500 (head). I have not used my Ampeg in months due to a rattling issue (after about 15 hours of playing at moderate volume). This is why I ended up purchasing the Rumble 500 head and cab(s). I am going to take it to a local music shop to have the problem remedied... this guy is good at pretty much everything bass-related.

IMO, the old Ampegs were well-built, fine amps. I think the BA series are not quality built amps. I am among several that have reported "rattling" problems. The BA210v3 sounds good, (the Scrambler circuit is a joke) but not quite as good as my Rumble 500 head. I run the Rumble head through either a Rumble 115 cab or Rumble 410 cab (or both). I have had the Rumble setup for roughly a year with zero issues. For the price, you cannot beat the Rumble series amps/cabs. Many, many people totally satisfied with the Rumble series. Check out some reports in the "Fender Rumble Club" threads.

12. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Fender vote here...but as said, both are not bad amps.
    I just like the overall tones of the Fender.

Leonsuper likes this.
  13. I normally prefer the Ampeg sound (I have used the Tech 21 VT Bass DI for years) but the Rumble is a much better amp. I don't know what it is about the BA210, but it's just not got a great sound. Rumble 500 head + 410 + Tech 21 VT Bass was my rig for years.

SmokinJoe992, Bolsyo and Leonsuper like this.
  14. I know you have focussed on the Rumble and Ampeg, but that is commercially a very popular price point - very competitive. The manufacturers put a lot of effort into those products and we benefit. So you might want to consider comparably priced models from GK, Hartke and a few others. And, yes, they all sound different tone wise. To some extent this can be walked back with a little EQ. If you can't audition them read the reviews online. Ask questions here. Just beware that people are usually enthusiastic about amps with the tone they like (you'll frequently see words like 'love' and 'hate') and that is true for ALL of the brands. Claims of superiority should be viewed skeptically, and simply taken at face value - i.e., this person likes or does not like 'that' tone. You'll find that there is a player for every tone. Your job is to understand what that tone is: bass rich, middy, warm, aggressive, articulate, crisp, etc., and decide what you will like.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    alanloomis1980 and Leonsuper like this.
  15. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Have to say I couldn’t get anything I liked out of the Scrambler either but then I don’t use the Rumble’s Drive unit either.

In Ampeg’s defence my BA108 is pretty solid, no issues even with it at 3/4 volume. Had it about 4 years.

16. Leonsuper

Leonsuper

Sep 10, 2019
    Well said. Thank you!

AstroSonic likes this.
  17. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    I would go Ampeg, GK, Hartke, or Mesa over the Rumble.

Hate the Rumble tone. Muddy is a perfect description IMO. Just couldn't get a tone I liked.

By all accounts its a quality amp, just not my thing.

iagtrplyr, Bemo and Leonid Nidis like this.
  18. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    I found the 200 muddy but the 500 less so. Could be down to the bass though. I’m using a Lakland Skyline with Bartolini soap bars. Mainly passive. Neck pickup, flat EQ and bright is plenty growly with the gain up. It’s a very versatile amp and has taken me months to really explore. My Ibanez Jazz (GSR180) sounds muddy in comparison but the pickups aren’t great on it.

19. Jesuguru

Jesuguru Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2003
    DC area (for now)
    Love the tone of my Rumble 500C, though it isn't as crystal clear as my higher end rig (Barefaced BT/Berg Forte amp) but it's 75% of the performance at 25% of the price. For clear hifi sound in a combo, I'll echo what others said that the GK combos may be your best bet.

I hear more about reliability issues with Ampeg BA's vs. Rumbles in general. But IME, I first got a Rumble 500C a couple years ago, after a couple months it started distorting at moderate volume. Took it back to GC and they exchanged it for a new one, which has been flawless for the past year and a half.

So I think at this price point, any brand that's made cheaply overseas like these two may have issues here and there, always keep your warranty info handy and check the retailer's return/exchange policy before buying.

BobDeRosa likes this.
  20. David Lakin

David Lakin

Aug 13, 2011
    Of the two, I like the Rumble. Someone asked earlier if you had tried a GK. I bought a GK MB112II a few years ago and I love it!!! Best amp I’ve ever owned... PERIOD! And I’ve owned a lot of amps over the past 40 years. GK’s give you the best bang for your buck.