Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was told that the USB output can be used for recording. :thumbsup:

RedVee likes this.
  2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Welcome Rumbler #880! When @Linnin shows up, he can probably tell you when it was made. Cool amp. Rumble on!

unbridled likes this.
  3. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Here's my input on differences between the 500c and 800. I've owned and gigged a 500c for a few years. All I know about the 800 is what I've read from reviewers, a couple owners and the manual.

1. The 2 XLRs on the 800 default to mono pre and post and are NOT affected by the Master volume. They can be configured to stereo post, still not affected by Master. Their volume level can be adjusted, but likely won't need to be (though the manual doesn't mention this). The Master volume affects on the 500c are comparatively small. I've not read of a way to change this, or anyone who has done it.
    2. The stereo XLRs on the 800 would be for sending stereo fx, such as ping pong delay, to FOH. I've not yet read of anyone doing this on bass, but it probably won't be long.
    3. The USB on the 800 is an output for connecting to a computer for recording. Firmware updates are done by wifi!

The 500c has been very reliable to me and others here, despite it's light weight. If you feel protective, there are padded covers available with more protection than Fender's covers. The 800 is so new there's not a lot of feedback yet, but there are one or two members here still honeymooning with theirs that we are awaiting reviews from.

HTH

tb4sbp likes this.
  4. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Thank you G-DOG

5. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    @tb4sbp, please let us know where you read this. Enquiring minds wanna know.

6. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Thanks! I wonder if I could find out by pulling the chassis. There's supposed to be an inspection sticker somewhere on it with a date code.

I've suddenly begun to get tons of pickup gigs, so the Rumble and a D.I. have been staying in the back of my Blazer. I've got it backwards now. My big rig stays in my rehearsal room, and my "practice" amp has been going to all the gigs.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  7. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    It looks to be a v1 Rumble, which was produced from 2003 to 2010. So, 8 to 15 years old?

RedVee and unbridled like this.
  8. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I remember reading this also. Wasn't it in a post from Tom Bowlus?

9. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Hey, JACink, what day is it?:oops:

10. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    @JACink, could you be thinking of this post from tombowlus where he mentions that you can adjust the XLRs' volume levels on the Stage 800 from it's menu?

Fender Rumble Club

But, I believe tb4sb was talking about changing the 500c post line out, though not easy to do.

Right?

tombowlus likes this.
  11. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    It’s FENDER FRIDAY!

12. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Edit: yes, that is the one.

tombowlus likes this.
  13. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Happy Fender Friday!
    Fender-Rumbles.jpg

14. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Stumbo likes this.
  15. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    I was just following @JakobT's lead. :D

SoulReflection likes this.
  16. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I was wondering how long that would take.

I looked at the thread about 8:45 EST. Started to post a pic but thought I'd let somebody else do it.

17. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I know what you mean...just wondering how long that "vacation and smoke break" is going to take. We need someone to liven up this party ;)! Car 54, Where are you???:).

BazzaBass and Scatabrain like this.
  18. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I don't know if anyone did this. I just looked and think it would not be an easy mod. First, check the diagram:

rumble-block-diagram.png

The master volume controle is right after the bright/gain/vintage/overdrive circuit and before the rest of the circuit.
    Then check the layout of the amp:

20160417-IMG_1269.jpg

20160417-IMG_1270.jpg

The input jack is on the vertical PCB which is connected with a multi wire cable to the left PCB which has all the connectors on the back side, including the line out. If you want to tap off the signal before the master volume, you would have to figure out at what point of the circuit board that would be. Or maybe you could tap into one of the white cables. You would have to trace the incoming input signal until it gets to the master, preferably with a multimeter or scope (I do own one).
    However, you would still loose the rest of the Rumble circuit: contour, EQ, FX send/return, HPF, limiter and speaker cab sim.

A more simple approach would be to drill an extra hole for an additional output jack and tap directly off the input jack. But that would bypass the entire amp circuit, equal to using a simple splitter on the bass output.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    dbbltime likes this.
  19. Or tape an outboard DI to the top. :cool:

Fwiw... I may've commented ON the Rumble 500C and it's XLR/DI out. . That it would be NICE to have the OPTION to switch it pre or post. But. .... I've not complained about it. I've used my 500C on a fair few gigs where it's been going thru FOH PA and our sound engineers have never complained about the signal. . not once. I've personally asked em how the bass sounded and they've replied positively.
    I've also told them about the post DI & that if I turn up onstage it'll affect their signal. Not once have any of them stated that there was any problem nor did they say they had to even adjust it out front.
    So no doubt the info listed previously, about minor volume changes not making any difference to the DI'd signal, seem true.
    Recently at a pub gig, I turned up from about 8 o'clock to around 10 o'clock onstage and the sound engineer didn't notice :woot:. Take from that what you will. ;)

CozmoCosty, tb4sbp, RedVee and 2 others like this.
  20. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    I have the exact same experience. Many adjustments w/ no complaints from FOH. And I've played some big rooms with a 410 under my 500 combo!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021