Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Modest_Moose

Modest_Moose

Dec 26, 2014
    Washington
    That's really what I'm hoping. Maybe bad speaker cable or something. I'm curious about the loud popping

GonePlaid and Aaron Houts like this.
  2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Now you're in crap shoot territory. I'd be reluctant, but it really is your call.

GonePlaid likes this.
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Well, that ain't gonna work. I can't find my receipt and it has been about 3 years and GC doesn't have receipts that far back, so I' stuck with an amp that doesn't work. I'm thinking replacement cost would likely be less that repair cost.

GonePlaid likes this.
  4. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    And Alfred Nobel was just messing around when he invented dynamite.

EatS1stBassist and GonePlaid like this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth

GonePlaid likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    And now for the 'wake up' test. I was messing around with preset #16 '59 Bassman 2x15 yesterday. The 1959 Bassman was a 410 combo, but this preset uses the 215 emulation of JBL D130Fs. I changed all the tone settings. A lot. Especially the Presence control. I had a 1977 Bassman Ten, which was the Bassman 50 power section in a 410 combo. So a lot like the original '59 Bassman. It also had a Presence control. It's a quirky thing in that it adds the highest of highs in at the power section and not the front end. Cranked, it is ultra shrill & harsh. Which for some reason it is in the factory preset, so I backed that mutha down to almost nothing. You have to leave it cracked open a little bit or it tends to muffle the sound. I saved my new settings and left it for the night. The 'Wake Up Test' is to see if it actually sounds good the next day with fresh ears and caffeinated mindset. The good news is, that it does! So it's a keeper. Axe of Record: 2012 Fender American Standard Jazz with factory stock Custom Shop pickups. Strung in month old GHS Bass Boomers. It Rocks!

7. Markyo

Markyo

Jul 24, 2018
    I'm playing through a Fender Rumble 500 combo connected to the 210 cab. (Ray 34 Bass and Boss Bc-1X compressor). Plenty oomph you might think for pubs and clubs. Love the sound but here's the problem..

I play with a classic rock outfit where the guitarists like to crank up their Marshall and Mesa amps (too much), so I need to keep up so I don't get lost in the mix. However as soon as I go beyond 12 o'clock on the master volume.. max distortion, farting etc. horrible. Is this normal???

I have the gain completely off and the bass EQ at 9-10 o'clock, low mid at 11 o'clock. Helps a bit but not much.

I would appreciate any advice (short of leaving this band) on an EQ set up which will maximise volume but minimise bad distortion. Thanks.

GonePlaid likes this.
  8. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried turning the BC-1X off? Also, do you use any of the tone buttons on the Rumble? Vintage, Contour, Bright?

I can't recall ever pushing the amp past Noon on the master with the 210 hooked up, but I have with just the combo itself, and didn't have an issue like you described.

GonePlaid and Linnin like this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You won't like this much, but ditch the compressor and the active bass. Your signal is too hot and heavy. Classic Rock = Precision. You should be able to run your master at noon with no distortion whatsoever. Even at 3 o'clock which would be close to maximum clean SPL. More than enough to get you arrested anywhere.

10. As asked for in the combo club, here is the finished product of the Mike Dirnt/ Punk tone. Depending on your bass you might need to tweak the gain:volume ratio but on my p bass it’s at the sweet spot right now.

Attached Files:

G-Dog and Jeremy Jones like this.
  11. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Yeppers. I was playing a room rated for 800 people with a 4 piece Alternative Christian group. The drummer was always too loud and both guitars were running Mesas at high volume. I was using just the 500c with no extension and was asked to turn down. I was at about noon on the master and 9 on gain. So, I doubt it is your amp.

12. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    You gain coming in is likely too hot...the active bass plus whatever the compressor is doing. What helps me is 1) get it up off the floor and closer to your ear, youll be able to hear it a LOT better, especially on small stages when the cab is at the back of your knees. Get a stand, empty keg or whatever 2) another 210 cab. The stacked 210's gets it up closer to ear level and with the extra speakers really helps.

GonePlaid likes this.
  13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That's what he's running: Rumble 500 combo + Rumble 210 cabinet.

GonePlaid likes this.
  14. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Guess i missed the extra cab part.....I could blow away nearly any gtr rig found in a pub with that stack. It must be that the input signal is simply coming in too hot.

BBassBassington, GonePlaid and Linnin like this.
  15. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Exactamundo! Proper Gain Structure is critical to your entire signal chain. It's knowledge every bass player needs to know.

16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Sometimes I feel so disconnected from reality. I just found out that Tom Wheeler passed away last February at age 70. He was Editor-In-Chief at Guitar Player and wrote several books, among which 'The Soul of Tone' and 'The Fender Archives' reside in my personal Fender library. He was also a Professor of Journalism at University of Oregon. He was the only man I knew that had access to or even possession of the actual journal of Freddie Tavares. A great loss of a font of Fender knowledge.
    Former GP Editor and Industry Icon Tom Wheeler Dies

EatS1stBassist and GonePlaid like this.
  17. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I used 1x15 with my 500 combo and found it boomy. I bought the Rumble 1x12 and it really tightened up my sound and paired well with the 2x10's in the combo, I get a lot of compliments with the set up. The 1x12 sits perfectly under the 500 combo.

18. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    Thank you!
    Do you have any experience using your 112 by itself and not as an extension?
    If so, how did it sound?

I'm wondering why this didn't occur to me, but I should be using what I have available to me at the shop where I take lessons every week. There's a Stage 800 which is a 210 amp and I think there's a Rumble 100 which is a 112 amp. I know the speakers are not the same as in the 112 cab, the 500c or the 210 cab, but it'll probably give me SOME idea.

GonePlaid likes this.
  19. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    No but I have an SWR Red faced 350 head at home and can hook it up and listen. I'll get back to you. I've been curious about that anyway. Yea the 1x12 is rated at 350 watts. Yea that might get you close. I know the Fender 10's and 12 together are really focused sound.

20. Tulsa Teddy

Tulsa Teddy

Aug 11, 2016
    Tulsa
    My go to "playing alone in the bedroom" setting is 21. But when I played it in rehearsal, my tone wouldn't cut through. 16 was where I ended up when looking for a tone that sounds great with my band.

GonePlaid and Linnin like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021