1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Too much low end takes a bunch of power and starts eating the bass drum's frequencies. I'm still working on an effective live sound without FOH on my R200. Lately I've been using everything at noon, no switches, but that's actually a little bright with my Mustang sometimes. I think I need to roll off some treble & high mid so it doesn't sound too guitarish with a pick. Sometimes I roll everything down to 11 but the low mids, which I turn up to 1. I'm a little suspicious of the vintage switch. I'm not sure I like the compression, but most of the settings in the Tone Pool have it on.

2. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    Hey fellow Rumble LT25, Studio 40, and Stage 800 Owners,

If you are not aware of the Fender Rumble LT25, Studio 40 & Stage 800 sub-thread of the Fender Rumble Club, you owe it to yourself to check it out. G-Dog and friends have setup this new sub-thread to focus on areas of interest specific to the Contemporary Digital Rumble series.

While you're at it, check the message linked above. We've published links to some new documents on the Rumble wiki page to help provide more detail about the amps, cabs, effects, and presets on the digital Rumbles.

And... Rumble on!!!

Nebula24, chupacerveza, MCF and 4 others like this.
  3. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Nice! I’ve been looking at those too. I was surprised at how much I liked the 500; deep and bassy but a little clearer than the 200. But 200 is great too! I’ll probably end with a 500 for the same reason; only $100 more for a lot more power!

4. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    Agreed. Just so you know, the high mid voicing on my rumble 500 is my secret weapon for live sound. Don’t be afraid to gradually bump it up (in a full band mix) until you reach “ok, too bright” territory. Can I ask what strings you’re using? Something like GHS pressurewounds will allow you to use more high mids without sounding overly bright, and they already have a great mid range growl out of the package.

chupacerveza, Ryeguy63, MCF and 4 others like this.
  5. alanloomis1980

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’ve been running everything at noon, except bass at 9:00, with a P bass. My go-to for rock n roll. Anything higher than noon gives me too much crunch or clank. The bass at 9 cuts on the (bad kind of) rumble, helps me cut thru, and seems to make the amp more efficient (like you were saying)

I love the vintage, but I think cause there’s a dB boost with it, and I’m trying to squeeze every bit of power from the 100. I wonder if I wouldn’t use it so much with more headroom. I do like it a lot for lofi thump with my bluegrass /country band. Contour too, helps mellow out the mid presence of the P bass.

6. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

Rumblers, I take this opportunity to thank Droopy_TX for his exceptional efforts at enlightening our Stage & Studio users on the intricacies of the stock presets that provide such diverse bass tones. The Fender TONE APP SUPPORT Section of the Rumble Wiki has links to his files and notes that I have dubbed "The Droopy_TX Rumble Preset Experience".

Even if you're still shopping, the Preset DECODER Files will help you understand what is available. If you're a user who wants to document your own presets, the Preset Template Files will show you how. Either way, you need to experience it for yourself!

And come to the Fender Rumble LT25, Studio 40 & Stage 800 sub-thread to discuss this.

7. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I'm using Dunlop flats, which I play with a pick. They're quite a bit brighter than you'd think sometimes. With everything at noon it sounds like a big, twangy guitar as you go up the neck (which sometimes I like). I use them in a rock mix cuz they're so percussive and my band mates love the sound, but sometimes I wish I could hear the note a bit better. I use a compressor to bring up the note just a bit but I set the ratio fairly low and the threshold pretty high.

I generally find the high mids annoying, but I think if I turned them up a bit and turned the treble down, it might sound a bit more bass-like. I've also been playing small, loud, gigs where I have trouble hearing myself. I've been told it sounds great, and I'm like, "What sounds great?" Like I seriously want to know because I can't hear it, even though my amp is on a crate and pretty loud.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  8. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Those chromes must be awesome now that they’re finally broken in. I absolutely love chromes on my MIM P. They’ve only been on it three years now.

9. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    Vintage kicks in the onboard compression and the built in LPF. And you’re right, Contour scoops your mids.

From the manual:

VINTAGE: Dynamic compression (-9dB max) with low pass (-6dB/oct) @ 400Hz

CONTOUR: +1dB @ 80Hz, -13dB @ 670Hz, +2dB @ 8kHz

10. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I think part of my tonal confusion is that I want multiple things at the same time. I want it to kick like a mule when I'm playing punk rock eighth notes, which it does - there's really nothing like flats and pick and a bright clean amp for that. And I want it sound like a giant guitar when I play chords, which it does. And at the same time, I want it to sound like a regular bass which is impossible - unless I use the tone control on my bass, which I keep forgetting exists. Ooops!

11. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I really need to get set up a little earlier at a couple gigs and use my longest cable to get as far in front of the 200c as possible to hear what the audience hears. The Sunday open mic/jam is a 'freebie', so I don't kill myself for an early arrival. Besides, it sounded good on the video so what the hey.
    I know I could try some different settings here at the house, but it's gonna change at the gig. Back to the drawing board.

12. Maybe consider a Line 6 G30. Bought one years ago. Love it!

John

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    MCF, Aaron Houts, GonePlaid and 2 others like this.
  13. I will be purchasing a little practice amp that I will also be using for rehearsals with one lone acoustic guitar player. Not playing out with it.

I won't be able to hear the difference between the Rumble 15 and 25 before I buy one of the two. I understand that the 25 has more power (probably a good thing), the overdrive (don't use in on R500 so I won't use it with this also) and the contour (I use it sometimes).

I am curious to hear from people who have compared them. Did you hear a big difference in sound quality and power? Why did you purchase either one of these amps over the other?

Thanks!

Aaron Houts likes this.
  14. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The Rumble 15 is usable for home practice, but not much more - the enclosure is small and unported, and it tends to sound a little boxy.

You won’t get the true Rumble experience with anything lower than the 25, which has a larger, ported enclosure and is only about $20 more. Both use a different preamp than the rest of the range, so I would actually recommend the Rumble 40 instead, which uses the same preamp as its larger siblings, and has a 10" speaker, as opposed to the 8" in the 15 and 25.

jmhaslip, Aaron Houts, JPDsma and 3 others like this.
  15. BlitzCraig

BlitzCraig

Sep 28, 2018
    Agree with above - you can find a R40 used for around $120 USD, so barely more than the 25 -- bonus: it's a touch lighter than the 25 ;)

16. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    +1.

I got the original version of the G10 for Christmas last year. Love it, too.

It's perfect for being able to step out a gauge the FOH mix. I've even ventured out on the dance floor and boogied with the audience during "Play That Funky Music".

I've used it several times at 6-7 venues; and, of course, all around the house practicing. I've never had any problems with dropouts or latency.

I have been told I cannot stand in the kitchen playing while my wife is cooking; but, I think that has more to do with me not helping. ;)

Aaron Houts, MCF, Tad and 2 others like this.
  17. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Ya Think?

Aaron Houts and MCF like this.
  18. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    There's a big cardboard box in the back of my car that says Fender on it!:):):):):)

19. alanloomis1980

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    You’re such a tease! :meh:

20. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    All will be revealed at some point after I get home.

Taking my wife out for dinner right now