Fender Rumble LT25, Studio 40 & Stage 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by G-Dog, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I'm usually not into old-school tones but those amp models I heard had a tone that I think I could utilize! Don't get me wrong, I really like Jamerson's and Osborne's tone but it's not what I usually strive for myself. Pretty cool though that you can get those tones. Who knows, in another 5 years I might be wanting the Ampeg tones and I would have a starting point right at my hands without buying another amp.

The screen failure you had exactly sums up my fears. I think I'll probably take a chance with this amp but I sure wish these things had the old 5-year warranty.

chupacerveza, iagtrplyr and G-Dog like this.
  2. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Like most digital things these days, if there is going to be a failure. it will usually be within the first month or so of ownership.

iagtrplyr, Cyborg and G-Dog like this.
  3. B Dax

B Dax

Sep 8, 2018
    Yeah, a 5 year warranty would’ve been nice for these. I think when customers are spending close to a Grand on this Stage 800 combo, they should have an expectation that it will be problem free for more than a couple of years.

That said, if you’re on the fence about getting this amp, I’ll play into the TB stereotype and say get it. I’m very happy with mine and you’ll be very happy with the sounds and output flexibility you can get from this Fender combo amp.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    And you can always snatch up a Studio 40 for an extended test drive to find out for sure if the digital modeling technology is for you.

chupacerveza likes this.
  5. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Yeah, I'm using the '59 Bassman, a TV, clean Hi-watt, an Acoustic setting I really like when the vibe is more mellow, a fuzz for a song or two, and Fender's tube preamp setting. Heck, I even like their solid-state pre, though she's a dry one. Both preamps are a good platform of which to build from.

I also agree with you about being fairly conservative when it comes buying toys for the sake of buying toys, though my buddies over in the Combo Club know I have a voracious appetite for anything in the way of combo amps. I previously owned two Fender Bronco 40 combos and even though they stopped updating the FUSE software, I found it to be more than useable. By that time I knew well what I had to work with and didn't even care about adding new features, though bug updates would've still been nice. I wager $800 that Fender is gonna run with series for a few years, allowing me to keep up. After that, as long as everything is working I'll have my settings the way I want them and be a happy player. It's definitely worth auditioning.

G-Dog and SoulReflection like this.
  6. Cardsfan_69

Cardsfan_69

Jan 21, 2019
    Iowa
    20190906_224251.jpg I got a new toy and it plays really nicely with the Stage 800 and 210 cab. I've tweaked the SWR tone and it just freaking sizzles. Can't wait to run the full rig at rehearsal this week.

7. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Being a Cubs fan, I can’t believe I’m going to say this but, Cardsfan_69, you’re are my hero! You, my friend, have one of the nicest looking (and sounding) rig in TB. Take a bow!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  8. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

Wow! That is a spectacular rig, indeed! The stealth black Rumble Stage 800 with matching 210 cab, both with aftermarket blackface logo badges! Tres chic!!!

But what, pray tell, is that gorgeous white Jazz bass V? It makes a lovely juxtaposition with the blackout Rumbles.

chupacerveza and iagtrplyr like this.
  9. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Maybe we could offer him a year’s supply of secret decoder rings l. Thoughts G’Dog?

10. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

S'truth! Lay on, Fearless Leader! I'll place the order!

11. Cardsfan_69

Cardsfan_69

Jan 21, 2019
    Iowa
    Yes the aftermarket blackface logos were a must when I saw my son's very first Fender amp that he got with the mini strat squier when he was 8 had the same logo as the Stage 800.
    I just traded my 2007 EBMM SR5 for this American Deluxe Jazz V. I'm thrilled with it what little time I've had with it. Love the white on white.
    If you look closely you can see the blue LED from my Broughton HPF up on top. Really is a super tight and versatile rig. I'll report back after rehearsal Wednesday evening as to how it sounds with the full band, 2 guitars, keys, drums, sax, acoustic guitar.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    chupacerveza, iagtrplyr and G-Dog like this.
  12. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    FYI: The Fender Tone iOS app was updated yesterday (9 Sep 2019). The release note indicates the new version includes "bug fixes and stability improvements".

However, it does not address the bug regarding the representation of the Rumble V3 amp model in the iOS version of the app.

I have contacted Fender support both to express my disappointment, and to see if they can provide a substantive status update on the issue. I will share any news I receive.

13. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

Thank you, Droopy, for this follow-up on the Rumble V3 preset bug in the iOS version of the Fender Tone App. I would like to think that they are currently testing the fix for this. To me, you would be a great test candidate! But, they may have other plans.

I appreciate your pursuit of this. :thumbsup:

chupacerveza, iagtrplyr and rmc63 like this.
  14. B Dax

B Dax

Sep 8, 2018
    Yeah, probably one of those things where these issues were already in the pipeline and hopefully they’ll get to the Rumble/iOS soon.

15. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    Yeah, I think they probably have a set list of issues to address, and an order in which to address them. I would think, though, since it affects the model of their flagship amp, they'd want to prioritize this fix.

It also seems to me like they just used the wrong app module for that screen in the iOS app. I would think that they could just look at the code for the Android app, and go, "Oh, yeah, it should have been this module."

16. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    Fender support responded yesterday, and confirmed that the developers have definitely acknowledged this bug, and it's on their work list; but, they don't have a date for the fix.

I'll keep an eye on them! ;)

17. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    Hello Fellow Contemporary Digital Rumblers!!!

As some of you may know, we have (in the Rumble Wiki) a PDF that charts the stock presets for the Rumble Studio 40 / Stage 800 that shows the pre-effects, amp, and post-effects used in each. I have taken this chart and embellished it a bit.

I mainly added two things:

1) Below the preset listings, I added the lists of amps, cabs, and effects modules; and I indicate what they really are (where there's an actual real-world unit).

I did this because, aside from the amp models, I have a really tough time remembering what the "code names" are for the non-Fender effects, cabs, etc.

2) I also added a column to the right side of the preset table that indicates what the "purpose" of the preset is.

For instance, a preset might simply be demonstrating the functions of an amp, cab, or effect module. It may be showing how to combine modules to achieve a certain playing style or sound (e.g. slap-style; Motown sound). Or, it could be designed to emulate the sound of the bass as played in a particular song.

For presets demonstrating amp, cab, or effect modules, I indicate the amp, cab, and/or effect being demonstrated (since it is not always clear from the preset name), and also provide the real-world device name when possible.

For presets showing how to combine modules to achieve a certain playing style or sound, I indicate the general style/sound being accommodated.

For presets intending to emulate the sound of the bass in an actual song, I indicate the Song Title and Artist for the target song.

Note: Where presets are demonstrating an amp effect function (e.g. the Rumble V3’s 'Vintage' or 'Overdrive' features), I use the general “amp demo" category to differentiate these presets from ones demonstrating separate effects units (e.g. Sine Chorus, Octobot). Similarly, an amp demo preset that incidentally has a reverb for ambience, is simply an amp demo.

There is a simple B/W version of the chart (good for printing). I've added an optional “color-coded” version, too. In the color version, each amp is color-coded; and although any cab can be assigned to any amp, cabinet models that are “historically related" to a given amp share the same color-coding. Additionally, each of the effects categories has an assigned color; as does the "preset purpose" categories. The color-coding is reflected in the preset chart to provide a high-level overview of which amps are used where, what effect types are being used, and for what purpose.

I've posted three files in the same DropBox folder (LINK) that contains the Rumble Studio 40/Stage800 Preset Builder content. (G-Dog will revise the Wiki links in time.)

The new files are:
    Rumble Studio 40 & Stage 800 Stock Presets - BW.pdf (B/W version PDF)
    Rumble Studio 40 & Stage 800 Stock Presets - COLOR.pdf (Color-coded PDF)
    Rumble Studio 40 & Stage 800 Stock Presets.xlsx (Excel source file for both)

The PDF files are provided for everyone’s general reference.
    The Excel file is for those who may want to revise or customize the chart for themselves.

One additional point to note:
    The content in the “Preset Purpose” field is entirely my own doing. This includes what I think the primary purpose of the preset is; and, for the “Song presets”, what song/artist I think that Fender is going for. So, both of these areas are subject to debate; and I am open to such debate.

As a case in point: In previewing this material, @G-Dog challenged my classification of “#59-Rubber Soul Fuzz”. I yielded to his obviously superior knowledge of all things Beatles. I would suggest, though, following its public release, we should hold such debates openly in the Fender Rumble LT25, Studio 40 & Stage 800 thread vs. private conversations.

Take care, and enjoy!
    Droopy_TX

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  18. ricardol

ricardol

Dec 10, 2016
    Not Pink Floyd's Money, I think :)

chupacerveza likes this.
  19. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

Rumblers, I take this opportunity to thank Droopy_TX for his exceptional efforts at enlightening our Stage & Studio users on the intricacies of the stock presets that provide such diverse bass tones. The Fender TONE APP SUPPORT Section of the Rumble Wiki has links to his files and notes that I have dubbed "The Droopy_TX Rumble Preset Experience".

Even if you're still shopping, the Preset DECODER Files will help you understand what is available. If you're a user who wants to document your own presets, the Preset Template Files will show you how. Either way, you need to experience it for yourself!

Cyborg, chupacerveza, rmc63 and 2 others like this.
  20. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    Excellent catch, @ricardol! And, I think you are obviously correct.
    I have amended the files in DropBox accordingly.
    Thanks for improving the quality of the information.

chupacerveza and ricardol like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021