Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Thank you. Some day I'll post one of my "Boris the Spider" videos. I rarely play bass with other musicians. I play at open mics where I play bass and sing. I've also done "Whiskey Man", which I always screw up, a "calypso" version of "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Ha" and a few others.

2. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Thanks, Linnin. I agree it does sound great and I think it'll work perfect for practices/jams and smaller gigs. I probably mentioned this but for years my gigging amp was a 900 pound Peavey TNT 150. Plenty loud for most shows, but I had to mic it occasionally for bigger venues.

I just hope I actually get USE out of it. Been a long time since I've been in a band, which brings me to a second question that the main players on this thread may not appreciate, since it is pretty off topic from the Rumble Club discussion...here goes...

Linnin likes this.
  3. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    THE QUESTION-- It concerns gigging. Just hoping for a little advice/suggestions/direction and general discussion. I know this might not be the appropriate place, but I hoped to get a little feedback and while not really pertaining to the Rumble Club, I hoped people wouldn't mind chiming in.

From about 1982 to 2000 I played and gigged tons. Even a few minor recording sessions. I often played in multiple bands and gigged 3 or more times per week for months on end. Mainly around the Oklahoma - Arkansas - Louisiana - Texas circuit.

Loved pretty much every minute of it.

Became a dad in '98 and by year 2000 I was working so much, exhausted from having two children, and basically gave it all up. Sold most everything I had, just packed it in. I never intended for it to be a permanent situation.

Fast forward several years and now my daughters are in their teens and very much independent, and I want very much to get back into playing with other people and hopefully playing live shows again.

Side note--my wife is a musician herself who toured a lot more far and wide than I ever did, but she claims she'll never take the stage again. We do record together sometimes and--bless her--she is very supportive and encouraging of me getting back into playing.

But I'm 46 now. I've tried CL and local musician meetups and all sorts of similar things over the past few years. We have also moved a lot.

It seems like I just can't find people to mesh with. Most of the ads I see are like "No geezers over 20. Must look good in eyeliner!" or they are older guys, my age +, but they are playing stuff I don't really care for (which isn't a big problem for me) or if we exchange communication, they rag on me for not having equipment that is "pro level" to the degree they want.

Man, I just want to have fun and blow off some steam! I have no real desire to "get signed and make it!" or anything of that nature.

I would be perfectly happy being in a cover band just playing...maybe making a few bucks, but mainly to have fun and share music with other people again.

Sometimes I feel like it's never going to happen.

Right now I'm in a small town in Oklahoma. I know that impacts the amount of musicians--especially like-minded ones--you are going to find (not to mention the amount of gigs you can land) but the past 4 years I was in Portland, Oregon and ran into the same troubles.

I am rambling, and I apologize. I wondered if any of you folks--especially those around my age or older--could tell me how you hooked up with the people you play with, what it's like gigging now as opposed to back when I was a regular at it, etc.

Basically, I'd just love to hear any of your stories, ideas on how I might be able to get back in the saddle, anything.

I really appreciate any responses. This is a great group of people. I realize this post doesn't truly belong here on this thread, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.

Thanks everyone.

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You're welcome Muddslide. Plus you always have the XLR out to the PA soundboard.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    All Aboard The Geezer Train!
    Welcome to the wonderful world of age discrimination! Get used to it. That's one of the main reasons I'm not playing out right now. Notice the old men and women of music are slowly dieing from natural causes of all things rather than the more usual drug overdoes and other lethal misadventures. So it does take time; effort, and more than just a little bit of good luck to get something decent going for yourself, but it always did. Now it just takes more.

Muddslide and GaryLC like this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I found some good solid intel on another thread about stacked identical speaker cabinets.
    So when your hear me talking about the 'coupling effect' between identical drivers and/or cabinets, this is what I mean.

7. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY

Hi Mudslide!

I hear ya, brother! I'm 61, live in upstate NY, and hadn't been in a band for over 20 years. Divorce, young child, etc. I wanted to get back into playing a bit, but didn't want to gig more than once a month. I love playing, but love doing other things too, and it seems that when I do a late night bar job, I'm wiped for the next day. Man, is it hard to find guys who only want to play out that little. I was very, very lucky. Hooked up with a couple guys from a band I was in during the 80's, and a young guitar player who is into the old classics that we do. It finally works, the other guys have other projects that keep them busy, and we are a fun classic rock band, doing the stuff we grew up on....."Green Eyed Lady", Incense & Peppermints", Never Been Any Reason", lots of Grand Funk, James Gang, Beatles. We are doing it for fun, not money. The money isn't there anymore anyway.
    But it is hard finding a group of guys as you get older!

Here's a vid of us at a local bar....

mikecd1, jbassbob and Linnin like this.
  8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    That's a great clip! Give my regards to upstate. I lived in the town of Catskill for a couple of years recently.

I am glad you got things off the ground again. To me, there has never been any other feeling in my life to compare with playing live.

I actually have a friend here in town I used to play with about 20-25 years ago in a few bands, great all-around musician, but he's the best drummer I've ever worked with. When we were the rhythm section, we were The Engine Room, baby!

He wants to work on some stuff, but I have to wait to get my Rumble 150 out of layaway. Neither of us has a bass amp that would work to play at the moment.

He still gigs and records regularly. My main issue is that it is highly likely I will be moving AGAIN in the near future. My wife has some serious health issues and can't work. I have a good job but the pay isn't livable. So I'm seeking a higher paying job.

Sheesh...I'm sorry to dump my life story on here, but stories like yours give me hope. I'd love to see you guys--you are covering some of my favorite stuff!

I envision having a mostly instrumental band playing old surf numbers and stuff like Link Wray, Duane Eddy, The Ventures, etc., or maybe more of an early rock and roll/rockabilly thing, or having a sort of 80s tribute band and playing stuff like Cheap Trick, The Cars, Blondie, Elvis Costello and the like.

But I'd really be up for just about anything! I'm not too fond of modern Nashville country music, and I don't care much for gangster rap or the kind of heavy metal with those gutteral "Cookie Monster" vocals, but I could get behind almost anything else.

Your story is inspirational. Thanks!

GaryLC and Linnin like this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    :bassist: Fender Rumble To The Rescue! :bassist:

10. Bassplayer315

Bassplayer315 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2014
    New Jersey
    Well as I posted before I added the Rumble 112 cab to my Rumble 500 combo and have to say it sounds and looks fantastic. I also have a Rumble 100 as a home practice and for small acoustic jams. As I was setting up my 112 cab and then moved the Rumble 100, the 112 cab is heavier than the combo, both have 12" drivers. Is the cab construction better on the cab then the combo. I really like what I hear from the 112 and feel gas coming on to get another 112 and add the new Bassman 500 hybrid head, guess I would then sell my combo but what a rig. My local shop just got the Bassman head in and it light as a feather and has the vintage look. Talk me into it or out of it.

11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The Bassman 500 head is just shy of 23" wide, but the Rumble 112 cab is only 19" wide. Serious overhang on each side. Bassman 500 on top of a pair of Rumble 115's = Now You're Talking!

12. I see you joined this august forum over a year ago. That's long enough to know that nobody EVER talks anybody out of buying anything!! They might try to convince you to buy something other than what you were asking about, but nobody will try to talk you out of buying something.

13. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Seriously. I have a 150 in layaway and am already plotting for a Rumble 40.

14. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I would love to see or hear clips of any of these. I find the idea of solo bass and vocals for open mics very intriguing.

I never could play bass and sing very well and my hat's off to anyone who can.

Sing and play guitar? Check.

Sing and play keys? Check.

Sing and play drums? Check.

Sing and play bass? NOT VERY FREAKIN' LIKELY!

I can only think this is due to how unique the bass really is--at once a melodic rhythm instrument AND a rhythmic melody instrument. Too much for my brains I suppose...

RedVee likes this.
  15. Do you see what I mean? You need to put the Rumble 40 in layaway with your 150. Then again, I am severely prejudiced in favor of Rumble 40s. I love mine

16. Bassplayer315

Bassplayer315 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2014
    New Jersey
    Scrap that idea. Thanks Linnin. I think I'm set with my 500/112 rig. Will be using the combo and cab together for the 1st time this weekend for a big outdoor party. Will post a Rumble report.

Linnin likes this.
  17. Mattrill

Mattrill facebook.com/dayshazy

Feb 20, 2015
    London
    Played it tonight and it was so good. It was like my 100watter but louder which is what I wanted

Linnin likes this.
  18. someguyfromNC

someguyfromNC

Jul 4, 2015
    NC
    So the general consensus is to pair the Rumble 2x10 extension cab with the 500 watt combo. I'm about to order it tonight and just triple checking before I plop out the charge card. I heard a pair of 2x10s for the 'line array' thing but the speakers are not aligned vertical in these boxes. Not sure how much it would matter with the offset.

Is the 15" at all a viable option? j/w... I'm 95% sure I'm going with the 210 box tonight... while a small part of me likes the idea of a 15" speaker.

19. ausbassman

ausbassman

Jul 1, 2015
    Any reason you'd not go for the 15???

20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    There is no benefit in adding a 115. It only moves as much air as a 2x10, and won't add any significant SPL. 10's go as low as 15's and about 1KHz higher depending upon the specific driver and enclosure. You are far better off with matching cabinets. Either a pair of 410's for maximum SPL, or a pair of 115's for the tonality if that's your preference. There are a couple of hundred threads dealing with mixed drivers, and there are just as many that go right ahead and do it anyway. Ultimately it's your money and your choice.

ausbassman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021