Fender Rumble LT25, Studio 40 & Stage 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by G-Dog, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ricardol

ricardol

Dec 10, 2016
    Quoted from the EXPANDED OWNER’S MANUAL REV. A:
    "Note also that USB audio and Bluetooth audio streaming (see page 41) can not be used simultaneously.
    Note that Bluetooth audio streaming and USB audio (page 44) can not be used simultaneously."
    I found that these statments are valid for your Option Three (LINE OUT set to STEREO) as the music playing through AUX also appears in the recorded track - with excessive Gain causing signal distortion.
    There are some stereo effects that can benefit from the LINE OUT set to STEREO like the Stereo Tape, the Stereo Echo Filter and the Ping Pong Delay.

2. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    No problem on running these tests, Cap.

So, firstly, good that your LINE OUT level is set to +6.0. That should provide a good nominal signal level for recording. Secondly, your understanding of Options 1 and 2 of the USB out are spot on.

Regarding Option 3, when LINE OUT is set STEREO the amp sends a single stereo-paired POST signal using both USB input 1 and USB input 2. Input 1 carries the LEFT stereo channel; input 2 carries the RIGHT stereo channel.
    Note: Since (most) basses are mono instruments, any PRE signal would also be mono; as such, there is no need to have a "stereo pre" option.

The purpose of the STEREO setting for the LINE OUT (whether using USB or XLR) is to accommodate the output of stereo effects. There are several stereo effects on the Rumble Studio/Stage amps. One preset on which it very easy to hear the stereo effect is the default preset: 44 BASIC BASS ECHO. Plug your headphones into the amp's headphone out and listen as you play to hear the echo effect slowly pan back and forth.

In order to capture such an effect in any DAW (e.g. GarageBand), you need to setup a stereo track. In GB, you can do this when you create a new track. For an existing track, within the track's "Recording Settings" on the "Input" selector there icon with a single circle if the track is set to mono, or a double-linked circles if the track is set to stereo. Clicking the icon will toggle between stereo and mono. When in mono, it will depict the single input channel it is recording, such as "1 (Fender Rumble USB Audio)". In stereo, it will say "1-2 (Fender Rumble USB Audio)" indicating that it is set to record both inputs (left and right) into a stereo track.

I will follow-up with some more info, but I will break here as @ricardol has provided some additional information
    that should be inserted at this point.

(So, re-read the note above carefully.)

chupacerveza, iagtrplyr and ricardol like this.
  3. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    So, to continue, we really need to understand your hardware setup and what you are looking to accomplish. Specifically, are you recording on a Mac or an iOS device? Are you attempting to use the AUX to record audio in addition to your bass?

Generally, if you have pre-recorded music you are attempting to play and record to, it would be better to load the audio file into GarageBand (GB), and play along with the audio track in GB while recording.

However, in order to do so, you need to be able to monitor the device running GB, and be able to plug the Rumble's USB into it.

This is easy if it's a Mac: Plug the Rumble USB cable into one of the Mac's USB ports, and monitor the audio from GB via the Mac's headphone port.

If you are recording into an iOS device, it's a little more complicated.

You could turn up the speakers on the iOS device and play along with the track; but that may be difficult to hear well. You cannot use Bluetooth headphones/earbuds. The latency would be too great; and additionally, I seen amp sim apps like AmpKit and JamUp simply refuse to run with BlueTooth earbuds enabled. GB may refuse, too.

So, you likely would need to be able to plug the Rumble USB and a pair of non-BlueTooth earbuds/headphones into the iOS device simultaneously. This would require an adapter like the 'Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter'. Here's a link to one on Amazon for iOS devices with a lightning port. You would also need the little adapter to convert your headphones' 1/8" plug to lightning. Note, this would all need to match whatever plug type your iOS device users (i.e. 30-pin, lightning, USB-C).

As a caveat, although I have successfully tested plugging my Rumble into my iPad Pro using a USB-C, and recording with GarageBand, I have not tested it with one of these dual-connection adapters. So, theoretically, this should work, but I have not tried it.

Hope this all makes sense.

chupacerveza, iagtrplyr and G-Dog like this.
  4. jonlea

jonlea

Aug 14, 2004
    I’m considering either a Stage 800 or Studio 40. Has anyone tried using the GTX-7 pedal with these amps? Is there significant advantage over the MGT-4?

5. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    I use the original MGT-4 with my Rumble Stage 800 playing live and in my home studio. I was intrigued by the GTX-7 when it was introduced, but have not been sufficiently enticed to buy it.

Regarding advantages of the GTX-7, I think there are 4 main differences to note:

5 directly selectable presets:
    This is the most obvious difference. You can switch easily among 5 presets without having to bank up and down. If you do a lot of preset changes during a song, this may be a significant benefit to you.

I tend to use one preset for any given song. I have the 3 most-used presets (clean, vintage, distortion) saved to my Favorites setlist, and use the Quick Access function on the MGT-4 to switch among them. The GTX-7 does not appear to have the QA feature. Beyond those 3 presets, I tend to dial-up the preset I want using the encoder knob. Since my amp is either stacked on top of the extension cab, or on an amp stand, it is easily within reach. If not, I can bank up and down with the MGT-4.

Which brings us to...
    Separate bank button:
    The separate bank button is a "nice to have" feature. On the GTX-7, you click the bank selection foot switch to bank-up, and hold it to bank down, 5 at a time. On the MGT-4, you bank up/down by stepping on the right/left 2 foot switches simultaneously. It works well enough, but I'm sure you know what a pain that method can be; especially if you're switching through several banks, because you're only moving 3 at a time.

Another small thing that makes a difference when trying moving rapidly through banks between songs is, again, the fact the MGT-4 moves in banks of 3. On both units, when you move to a bank, you still need to step on the preset you want within that bank. On the MGT-4, if you are on preset 3, and bank up, you are presented with preset 6; then, if want preset 4, you need to quickly calculate to step on the first button. I know sounds stupid, and maybe it is; but I think the human mind deals more intuitively with sets of 5.

Given the double-switch dance and the little arithmetic quizzes, I usually just dial it in. :thumbsup:

More granular control of effects on GTX-7:
    This one is going to depend on your preferences and ways-of-working. Both the GTX-4 and MGT-4 give you the ability to enable/disable effects on the basis of effects "category", or by controlling the "first x" number of effects. Obviously in the latter mode, the GTX-7 can control the first 5; whereas, the MGT-4 can only control the first 3.

This is a clear advantage for the GTX-7; but, I question whether the mode is really useful, or whether it makes things more difficult to manage. Consider that we are bassists. The number of effects we put into our presets are likely to be fewer than guitarists. In most cases, there would not be more than one of each effect type. But what may change among presets is effect placement. Given this, I would suggest that using effects control in "category" mode would be superior because we don't need to remember which effect is where in the signal path; rather, just that the buttons control (for example) 1: Stomp, 2: Mod, 3: Delay. In this mode, although the GTX-7 still has more granularity, the difference becomes less significant.

And finally...
    Improved looper control:
    I am not very big into looping, but having each of the looper controls on a separate button is a tremendous advantage. If you are into looping, I would think that this feature alone would be worth the price of the foot switch.

So, my bottom line recommendation:
    If you purchase the Rumble Studio 40, which does not include a foot switch, purchase the GTX-7. For the minimal price difference between the two, "Buy once, cry once."

If you purchase the Rumble Stage 800, which includes the MGT-4, use it for a while and see what you think. I can see why guitarists would want the more granular control the GTX-7 offers. For bassists, I think the MGT-4 is very functional. I still have no intent of getting the GTX-7 at this time, even having outlined its clear advantages.

bhendrix, B Dax, chupacerveza and 5 others like this.

6. Option 3 stereo.. is what I use when recording ambient stuff that uses stereo effects.

It sounds like you're in the same boat I am. I typically run drum tracks or a metronome through my AUX. But I don't want the backing tracks recorded. Short of using a multi track recorder and dropping the volume of the backing track in post.. I'm at a loss. I don't know enough about interfaces to know if they would be a solution.

iagtrplyr likes this.
  7. I finally ordered a 210 ext cab. It should be here Tuesday. I can't wait to hear the difference it makes. I'm peeing myself.

Rona fears have subsided enough that I've gotten to practice over the past three weeks with the band I was scheduled to try out with pre-faux apocalypse. They're an awesome bunch of guys. Everyone is on their job. The singers can sing and the players can play. We all have that unspoken chemistry where everyone can anticipate the others. I would've felt absolutely comfortable playing live after our first practice.

Our jam space is a tiny room and the Stage is more than plenty to fill it. I haven't had it past halfway on some presets. (I haven't taken the time to normalize the volumes) I'm hoping the extension cab adds a bit of clarity and fullness. The presets I've found myself gravitating to (for our rock/bluesy sound) are the Basic KGB and Fat Bassman.

So far, everyone is super impressed with the 800 and it's versatility. I've felt comfortable enough to leave my pedals at home.

chupacerveza, iagtrplyr and G-Dog like this.
  8. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Attention: Rumble Club Wiki Edit Alert!

Thanks, @Droopy_TX and @ricardol. A link to your posts above Summarizing the USB Recording Options have been added to the Rumble Club Wiki page at the bottom of the Stage & Studio Links section. These are clear and concise descriptions that will help our many recordists.

And thank you again, @Droopy_TX. A link to your post above describing the GTX-7 Footswitch and comparing it to the MGT-4 has been added to the Rumble Club Wiki page in the middle of the Stage & Studio Links section. This will be a great help to those of us considering the footswitch upgrade!

Dang, DROO! You're sure keeping me busy editing the wiki with all your tests and reviews. Not that I'm complaining, mind you! It's all such good stuff, it needs to be bookmarked this way. Thanks, again. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

9. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    You’re gonna love it!

The 800 can get really danged loud with all its horses; but, the sonic difference with the additional mass of air being moved is tremendous. The first thing I did was set it up on my back porch (midday while everyone was still working), and cranked it up to maybe noon. It was LOUD! But wonderful.

10. The New 2 10! I can't say for sure how she sounds at liberal volumes yet.. but sure sounds clean when I barely turn the volume knob. I'm gonna romantically take it for a ride around the block this weekend.

I'm gonna order some silver cloth to re-cover the 800 grille, UNLESS someone wants to trade my black for their silver. Just thought I'd throw the offer out to anyone that may be interested in a face lift. I could've just ordered the black clothed one, but who knows when that woulda shipped. My local shop had the silver one at their warehouse and I'm not known for my patience.

Attached Files:

G-Dog, Droopy_TX and SoulReflection like this.
  11. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I vote for silver all the way. If I was playing out with my Studio 40, it would be silver with a black face logo!

Droopy_TX and Dookieshoes like this.
  12. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    I like both the black cloth and silver cloth; but, silver with black face logo would be very cool.
    Like "neo-vintage".

Dookieshoes likes this.
  13. ricardol

ricardol

Dec 10, 2016
    I haven't been able to access the Backup / Restore menu for a couple of days ... Is anyone else having this problem?

postalflunkie likes this.
  14. Since Fender has its agents that read this forum and have removed the ability to add mustang models to the rumble.. I think we should write a wish list of features we want included in the next update..

I would love a built in tuner on the app since it's now more difficult to see my LCD screen.

Drop and drag signal chain mobility.

Maybe some sort of preset volume normalization

I had a couple more to throw in that just aren't coming to mind at the moment.

What would you guys like to see? Surely we've got some more practical suggestions. I'm curious to see what y'all think could improve the studio/stage/mustang experience.

iagtrplyr, CaptainKiwi and ricardol like this.
  15. I'd love to see something more user friendly for connecting via USB to my PC (windows 10).
    My old laptop, also windows 10, connects fine with cakewalk. I just got a new tower, loaded cakewalk on it and the ASIO driver, made sure all my settings were the same as the laptop but just can't get it to connect to my studio 40. It's just not plug-n-play like I wish it should be.

SoulReflection likes this.
  16. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Yes!

Yes yes!

SoulReflection likes this.
  17. There's a new tone update.. what are the chances we get patch notes this time? Really would be helpful.

SoulReflection and Droopy_TX like this.
  18. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    I honestly cannot tell what has changed beyond the release that corrected the amp images. The Fender software team won't/can't provide any details other than the same generic text that accompanies every release. Maybe performance tweaks or something? Don't know. It's working okay for me, though.

G-Dog and SoulReflection like this.
  19. Diver

Diver

Feb 14, 2020
    If a feature was added or fixed, you would see that in the release notes the same day, most likely corrective fixes too minor/shameful to disclose :p
    I also know for a fact that the staff at the Corona factory is limited right now and that they sent every one home this week due recent protests and rioting close by. Not sure if that impacts software though. Glad to see things are being fixed at least, even if I have no idea what it was.

20. There appears to be a firmware update also. Minor things. I still wish I could roll it back to a previous version.

On another note, I reclothed my grille to match the silver face cab. Could be a hair tighter, I think some light work from a heat gun would draw it in.. good enough for government work though. IMG_20200605_112209.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021