1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Sidekick 1x15 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barebones, Apr 15, 2009.

1. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Can anyone give me some quick feedback on this cab? I think they called it the 100B cab. Slant front, some sort of weird porting or horn design. Kind of want to know what to expect from the cab before I waste my time heading over to a seller's house. (As well as not wanting to waste the seller's time.) I'm looking for something that can do sort of a low-endy-dub-reggae-ish tone, and I'm wondering if this could fit the (cheap) bill.

Attached Files:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I would pass, it's not exactly Fenders best attempt at a 1x15. Unless you're talking "super cheap", like under $100. Otherwise, there are many better options. How much, if I may ask?

3. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, the guy's asking $100. Pretty sure I can get it for less. The skeptical side of me, though, says it might not be the most efficient thing. The dimensions are something like 24x28x18, and then you have that tilted baffle... But I'm not sure how that design works, so I could be wrong. Just don't know what's inside the box structurally. That's why I was kind of wondering if anyone had played through one. I'm sure someone thought these were pretty cool back in the day...

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Can you try it out before handing over the cash? You never know, for less than a Benjamin, might be ok.

5. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, I can definitely try it out first. I was just curious as to what other people knew about it. A response such as "really tinny and quiet," as opposed to "loud and low," could be the difference as to whether I take the time to drive over to the dude's house or not.

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    resurrecting an old thread to see if anyone has had any experience with these ... I did contact this poster to see if he tried it ... no response yet ... thank you !!

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's a rear loaded folded horn. This one has too short a horn to work well, all things considered a standard ported cab of the same size would probably work better.
    It's actually very close in concept to Danley Sound Labs tapped horns, which are very fine subwoofers. They're also about four times as large for a 1x15.
    http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/tapped_horn.asp?MODEL=TH 115

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Bill, thanks for your quick reply ... for starters, approach this with the accurat premise that you have forgotten more about sound repro than I will ever know, but help me with a little clarification here ... i dont consider this box a 'folded' horn, as the speaker is simply front facing, on a slightly angled baffle, with as you put, a horn loaded port design ... I know it may be a bit lingo and semantics, but back in the 70's we had several 'folded' horn type cabs, both bass and sound reinforcement, and all of those had some type of configuration that routed the primary speaker projection through a W type design, with either a front or rear facing speaker to enhance the 'throw' ... not sure if I am making sense here, but I don't see any thing about a cab like this that resembles the 'folded' horn design ... if anything, this would be more like a wannabe 'scoop' type JBL cabs we used back then for sound reinforcement where two front facing 15's were mounted on top and a LARGE bottom 'scoop' design for the internals to disperse back forward ... we didnt call those 'folded' horns, simply horn loaded or something along those lines ... ?? making any sense ?? ... this will be sub $100 for sure ... thank you

9. Sorry to butt in on this old thread...I just picked up the pair, a Fender SK 100B head and the aformentioned B100 cabinet for $40. I think the lady really just wanted it out of her basement. The only hardship was luggin the cab up the stairs. Sounds great - not too muddy - but also not as loud as I thought it was going to be. I have been playing through an early 80's Traynor bloc40 which is an amazing little 40W SS amp with a 10 inch speaker. More bottom end through the 15" speaker (duh) then the 10", but it was doing some crackleing and popping. It came with the little flat backed speaker patch cord to go between the head and cab, and I found that one end had a wire that was coming unsoldered and ended up shorting and blowing the speaker fuse. When I replaced the fuse, I screwed the holder in and the nut on the inside was not too tight and I went too far and twisted it enough that one of the wires soldered to the fuse holder popped off. I really started to **** my pants then, and pulled the head out of the box, and saw that I could easily twist it back around, tighten the nut, and get the wire soldered back on. For me this was a major repair as I am not an electronics kinda dude (pats himself on he back). SO when I fired it up again - I think it sounded better than it did at first. Maybe better connections making an improvment? Maybe I just think it sounds better after my "ordeal and triunph" Don't really know, but for $40 I'm happy as hell - I just don't wanna carry it up anymore stairs.

10. wolfman1

wolfman1

Nov 8, 2014
    I bought one that rattled for $100 to install my Eminence Delta 15. The speaker i pulled out was a JBL D140F, so for $120 i got 'er reconed. The pressed wood baffle board was really chewed up with not much left to attach a speaker, so i got the speaker shop to include an unusable stamped 15. I cut the rim off with a tin snips and glued it with some t-nuts inside the baffle. after mounting the D 140 F (and fixing the quarter inch jack) I plugged it in and it still rattled. the baffle board came loose from the sides of the cabinet. I had to use a stud finder to locate the baffle board to drill a couple of holes. I sunk a long screw in each hole with some Gorilla glue. That fixed the rattles. I ran a cable from my Fender Studio Bass (200 watts all tube) and that amp never sounded so good... deep, warm, rich, full solid bass. Loud enough, too. On stage I use an RBI RPM bass pre into one side of a PVDJ 1500 with my Schekter 4 and 5 string Diamond Elites. The rig sounds great and the sound man is happy too. With the speaker pointed up I can hear what I play without bleeding through every mic on stage. As for the steps turn it sideways and roll it up end over end. Take 'er down the same way. This works for most cabinets but don't try this with your SVT 810 without help.

11. Gato

Gato

Jun 17, 2013
    I've been gigging with the aforementioned horn loaded 1x15 Sidekick for about 12 years now. In fact, I use two, one stacked atop the other, power supplied by a GK 400B amp. I use a JBL D130F in the top cab for highs and a JBL E140 in the bottom cab for lows. I've always been a fan of horn loaded cabs, ever since Sunn came out with the 200S back in the 60's. (The GK has a dial-it-in crossover circuit). I get truly thunderous bass response out of this rig, and with my Jazz Bass I get crisp highs out of the D130F speaker. I've used this set up for everything from super noisy bars to outdoor concerts, and always room to spare for volume.

12. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I have the top and bottom since 1987. I played a lot of small clubs and backyards with it and it always sounded pretty decent. Loud enough, but not powerful. Killer for your back, though.