Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Sig basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blaire, Mar 29, 2005.

1. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Ok, if this has been done sorry, I done a search and came up with nothing. What is the difference between standard fenders and the sig models? Especially the mike dirnt and the Geddy lee? What do they have that makes them different? Sorry if this seems stupid. :meh:

2. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    Some have better electronics and pickups, some have slimmer 'faster' necks, some have both.

I've played a lot of the Fender sig's and regular Fenders recently because I'm thinking about picking one up soon, and I have to say that, IMO, the Stu Hamm Urge Bass II is by FAR the best Fender available. Unfortunately it's also one of the more expensive ones.
    I talked the guy at Guitar Center down to $1100 on it.

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    The Mike Dirnt P-bass has a Custom Shop Vintage 59 pup, Leo Quann Badass Bridge and comes with a nice padded gigbag. The Geddy Jazz has a pair of Custom jazz pups and the Badass bridge.

Check out www.fender.com for details on each model , so you can make a comparison.

4. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    It also has a slimmer neck, as well as some real cool block inlays and black binding.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Not a dumb question dude. Better to ask it here than at GC and have the salesman take you for a ride.

I currently play the Mike Jones signature model. It's a MIA Jazz with a J-Retro preamp, Nordstrand NJ4SE pick-ups, and TI Superalloy strings with low action. I don't think there is a better 1997 MIA Jazz out there right now. :)

-Mike

6. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Excellent, thank you. Id like to try a Stu Ham.

7. Is it Just me or is that a Dirnt sig with an SD quarter pounder jazz added?

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Fender signature basses are for the most part modeled after pre existing models with modifications done to some part of that bass, whether it's a shaved neck with vintage pups ala Geddy Lee or it's a tele style headstock (rosewood which was not offered on those necks) and CS pups to make the Mike Dirnt bass. Fender does make signature basses that are like no other Fenders, Victor Bailey Jazz bass is like no other Fender made as is the Roscoe Beck. The Stu Hamm bass is another unique bass. The above basses that I mentioned are different from other fenders were designed with the artist and what the artist wanted his bass to sound like. The Roscoe Beck has a different body than regular or dlx jazzes with custom pups (Bill Lawrence) different frets (Dunlops). The Victor Bailey jazz is also different sporting a dlx size body made of Koa and rosewood over mahogany. With the "noiseless" pups it is one hellova bass. The Hamm bass has a down sized body and a bunch of other non standard Fender stuff to it, I would love to try one out myself.

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You almost cheat me ;).

The sig fenders are the stock modified line. You get minnor mods in the MIM and MIJ (mark hoppus, mike drint...) and major mods in the MIA models (roscoe beck, mm 5...). To sum up the sigs have already done what most peple who play fenders have done to their basses like the badass II mod in many 4 stringers.

10. It definately looks that way to me. Pretty sure somebody added that on their own, because I'm almost positive you cant get a Dirnt P with an added J pup.

11. Personally, I own a Geddy Lee and would love to own a Mike Dirnt. Sure you can say that these basses are just mirrored to what other people have already done to their basses but if you were to buy the parts and have them installed by a professional (which I am assuming most people do) into a bass that you own it would be more expensive than buying a bass with the same features from the factory.

12. I almost forgot to ask, did the Mike Dirnt P come with that J pup or was it an add on?? If it is an add on I must say that you did a good job on the installation of the pup and the third control knob.

13. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have both Geddy lee and the Steve Harris sig. basses.
    Both are great basses.

Since the Steve Harris bass hasn't been coverd yet, here are some of the differences:

BadAss II bridge and SD Quarter Pounder PU, and a Red Wine mirrored pickguard.

14. I would think that the neck on the Geddy Lee model is a major mod, not a minor mod. It feels like no other neck I've felt.

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I don't think the Geddy bass has major mods to it, in fact I bought mine because it was an alder bodied/maple neck with blocks for $600 bucks (the price I payed for mine new!). the fact that it had a badassII (which I removed for more low end) and vintage pups just made the sale more attractive in my eyes! :)

16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    yeah i know, i was wondering how long would it take till someone told me that. But thats the only exeption utill someone post that the marcus miller 4 has real inlays and it is a major mod.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The Sting bass is nothing but the domestic-market Fender Japan '54 Precision reissue with (wait for it!) THE INLAY added.

That's it, brother! :D

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    What it looks like to me is a Dirnt converted to a Schecter Model T DeLeo. :meh: